“4.9 stars out of 5”

Courtyard Newport News Airport
Ranked #5 of 38 Hotels in Newport News
“4.9 stars out of 5”
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Just completed a very enjoyable 3 day stay at this property. The biggest compliment I can give this property is that I thought it was just built. Fit/finish/cleanliness were top notch. I travel to Newport news 2 times a year and will be using this hotel exclusively when available. Very minor issues. The usual key not working after a day. T.v. power cord was broken causing t.v. to lose power when pulled out. Tv had true h.d. reception...pool area great for a quick family swim..all staff were friendly, and fulfilled our 3 requests promptly

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank mattslatz
Elizabeth P, General Manager at Courtyard Newport News Airport, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear Mattslatz,

Thank you so much for writing a wonderful comment about my hotel and the great customer service my staff offers! I just love it when I read reviews like this.

I'm sorry about the key problem during your stay. I know how frustrating that can be as a traveler.

Upon your return to the area, please reach out to me personally to make your reservation. It would be my pleasure to make it.

Elizabeth A. Parker

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Goochland, Virginia
Reviewed 11 March 2014

As a business traveler I stay at Courtyard Marriott's quite often. I was duly impressed with this property. This is a 6 year old property built under the new Courtyard concept with the cafe. The cafe area is laid out somewhat differently then the renovated cafés being much larger and the bar area in the center. I especially liked the room's HVAC system. Typically I see separate units in each room that can be rather loud and annoying. This property has a central system that is extremely quiet and can be easily controlled in your room. The breakfast was fine. Request a room on a high floor (there are five) facing the front. There are townhouses in the immediate rear of the hotel where you may hear some unwanted noise. I moved to the front when I began hearing a motorcycle start up. Special thanks to Dena at the front desk ay both check-in and check-out who was especially kind and helpful. Also, the whirlpool and pool are wonderful. I recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Higher floor towards end facing the front. Quieter.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Terry B
Elizabeth P, General Manager at Courtyard Newport News Airport, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Dear Terry B;

Thank you for choosing my hotel from a host of hotels in the area. I'm glad to know that you are a Marriott Loyalist!

You are correct, my hotel will be 6 years old in September of this year. We're very proud to be the first Courtyard built with the new refreshing look and the "C" bar concept. Currently, we are ranked #12 in the World of 880 Courtyards for "Overall Customer Satisfaction". We're really proud of that.

Deena at the front desk is a true gem. We receive wonderful comments about her professionalism, friendliness and her passion to serve the guest.

Please reach out to me when you make your next reservation. I'd like to make it personally.

Again, thank you for the wonderful comments and taking the time to place your comments on TripAdvisor.

Highland Park, New Jersey
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I stay here for the weekend with my son and his soccer team. The hotel was clean and looked fairly new. The beds were comfortable, the lounge was nice and the location was good. The best thing about this hotel was the staff. Elizabeth the GM, was very helpful and quick to get back to me about securing a meeting room for the team for the 2 nights. Jenny, was friendly, helpful, and a serious asset to that hotel, Vivian, was terrific about making sure that breakfast was not only set up for the 40 people in our party but that is was fresh and plentiful. I would recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to that area.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank MichaelBebe
Dear MichaelBebe;

Thank you for the lovely comments about my staff! It is so nice to know that we are doing everything right. Your hotel experience is very important to me. When I read comments such as yours, I just beam with pride.

Again, thank you for choosing my hotel out of all of the other hotels in the Hampton Roads area! We look forward to seeing you and the team again.

Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

Excellent team of people working. Very friendly and helpful. Functional hotel with comfortable rooms. Good location, what's more food is tasty at least their burgers and breakfast. Hope to go back soon. Did i mention Jenny, a very friendly hostess

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Valvexpert
Elizabeth P, General Manager at Courtyard Newport News Airport, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear Valuexpert,

Thank you for those wonderful comments! And yes, we do have an excellent team here at the Courtyard Newport News Airport!

The Executive team and I are so proud of our hotel. Not only because we are ranked in the Top 3% of all Courtyard's in the country, but because my staff cares. Like Jenny who you mentioned in your comments. It's people like her that make a difference with our guests hotel experience.

Please let me know when you will be travelling to our area again. I'd like to make your reservation personally.

Take care and be safe in your travels.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 20 February 2014

We recently stayed here for along weekend, during which I facilitated a Firm Retreat for a local law firm in the meeting room of this new property. The folks running this hotel exceeded expectations in almost every category. Rooms were just fine, and staff was accommodating and super friendly, without exception. But here's the kicker....I forgot to pack my I-Phone charger. When I asked the front desk if they had one in lost and found that I could borrow, they were happy to let me sift through the drawer full of left-behind chargers, but we couldn't find a compatible charger. Next thing I know, the GM of the hotel insisted on driving me to the Verizon store located nearby and waited while they tested my phone and, ultimately sold me a replacement charger. I couldn't believe it! Kudos to the management and staff at this property. I highly recommend this place you're in the area.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Elizabeth P, General Manager at Courtyard Newport News Airport, responded to this review, 23 February 2014
Dear TravellingFlaGator;

Thank you so much for writing a wonderful response in TripAdvisor!

We have a really close knit team here at the Courtyard Newport News. We are ranked in the Top 15 Courtyards out of 879 Courtyards in the World that has the Best Overall Guest Service. I'm really proud of that.

It was my pleasure to take you to the Verizon Store. I'm just glad they had what you needed. If you need anything in the future, please give me a call.

Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

We took a last minute family weekend and glad we did. The staff was very nice attentive and hospitable. The hotel upon walking in was more then we expected, very nice looking and clean. The Bistro was a great accompaniment, prices were expected. We had breakfast there and the french toast was amazing! Kids and I both enjoyed it. The room was spacious including the bathroom. Clean bedding and all around great appeal.
My only issue was the pool area. It needs to be redone!! We all left with scrapes and abrasions. The pool lining is very harsh, bumpy and caused bleeding. My kids like to do flip turns and I was swimming did a flip turn scraped my foot and lost skin. Upon closer look there was a "ring around the pool" of scum body oil that I didn't expect in the "off season". It was disturbing but not fun stopping. The deck of the pool is exact opposite very smooth slippery and needs to be cleaned with bleach and texturized so its not so slick. It all needs to be revamped!
Overall we would stay again, the staff were amazing, good breakfast, clean spacious room, just wish they would fix the pool.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Jenny M, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard Newport News Airport, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Greetings from the Courtyard by Marriott in Newport News!

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay. We are delighted to hear that you and your family had an enjoyable weekend! And I completely agree that the French Toast is amazing!

Thank you for your comments regarding our pool and spa area. We appreciate these candid comments to help us find areas to be better and improve everyday. We are in the process of revamping the pool area this very weekend, February 21-23, 2014.

We hope you visit us again and check out the improved pool and spa area!

Thank you again for choosing the Courtyard Newport News!

Happy Travels!

Jenny Monokrousos
Assistant General Manager
Staunton, Virginia
Reviewed 8 February 2014

this is a beautiful hotel. the best part was the comfortable bed which i always believe makes or breaks a night away from home. i stayed 2 nights for business. the room was very well appointed and wifi worked great. the large tiled shower had strong water pressure and because it was a glass shower i didnt bump up against a shower curtain. the staff was friendly and warm. the location has the patrick henry mall across the street.

Elizabeth P, General Manager at Courtyard Newport News Airport, responded to this review, 9 February 2014
Dear Brenda M,

Thank you for those wonderful comments. It is so important to me and my staff to know how each of our guests feel while here at the Courtyard. Your hotel experience is really important to us.

We hope that you visit us again when in the area for business or pleasure.

Again, thank you for choosing us out of all of the other hotels in the area! We want you back!