“Overall good experience, with a few bumps along the way”

Courtyard Newport News Airport
Ranked #8 of 40 Hotels in Newport News
Reviewed 13 May 2014

The location of the hotel was great, as well as the very presentable exterior. However, we arrived about 15 minutes after check-in only to be told that there was no rooms cleaned in order to proceed with check in and that we would need to wait about 40 minutes. Since we had called earlier and were told we could check in early (around 2:30), I was far from pleased to have to sit for an hour after check- in time began. Once we finally got to our room, we realized there was only one towel. When the desk was questioned they simply responded with, "oh yes, they are being cleaned." With how long we had to wait past check-in for them to clean a room for us, I was quite amazed that they were unable to have clean towels available. Aside from these problems, our room was clean and very well placed.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Elizabeth P, General Manager at Courtyard Newport News Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Dear Savannah K,

Please accept my apologies for the "bumps along the way" during your stay. Me and my executive team try very hard to make each guest comfortable during their stay. I'm really sorry that you had to wait a bit beyond normal check in time. That rarely happens. I'll get with my team and share your comments with them. Especially about the towels.

I hope that you and your friend are able to visit us again in the future. If so, please call me directly to make your reservation.

Again, thank you for choosing the Courtyard and I look forward to your next hotel stay!

Reviewed 11 May 2014

The hotel is located very close to the airport with many attractions a short distance away. The staff is very friendly and helpful when trying to find the right attraction to see or the right restaurant for the evening.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear Richard K,

Thank you for selecting my hotel! We're very proud to have such a beautiful hotel and I'm thankful to have a great staff.

If you're ever back in the area, please don't hesitate to give me a call to personally make your reservation.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

This property is beautiful! It's a few years old but still looks like brand new from the lobby to the guestrooms. I arrived early and couldn't check in but the young lady at the front desk was kind enough to hold my luggage while I went across the street to the mall. When I returned, my room on the 4th floor was ready and beautiful. The bathroom is spacious with a HUGE shower that has its own light and a built-in seat. The king room is spacious as well with a work area, sofa, flat-screen tv, and mini-fridge. I was able to use my AAA card for an additional discount so I am extremely pleased and will definitely make this my hotel of choice when I come to Newport News!

This hotel is centrally located to shopping and dining. Want Starbucks? They have it here! You couldn't ask for more!!

See you next time!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank LadyDJNorthCarolina
Elizabeth P, General Manager at Courtyard Newport News Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

LadyDJ North Carolina,

Thank you for your wonderful comments about my hotel. My staff and I work very hard to be in the Top 3% of 880 Courtyard Marriott's in Over All Guest Satisfaction.

I'm glad that you had a great time here in Newport News and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future! The next time you're here, the Starbucks is on me!

Reviewed 25 April 2014

Nice hotel, relatively new (a few years old), clean, well maintained. Friendly staff and an extremely hospitable GM -- I asked for herbal tea for my room and she obliged immediately, grabbing me a few tea bags form the bar. A bonus also for Starbuck's fans, they offer the famous coffee including espresso drinks right in the lobby. Weekend prices a bit high, weekdays very reasonable. This was the second time I had stayed there. I will do so again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank tzikat
Elizabeth P, General Manager at Courtyard Newport News Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Dear Tzikat,

Thank you so much for writing a delightful comment about my hotel!

Your comments are important to me and I'm glad that you have taken the time to write this comment. Gosh, I wish I could get everyone of my guests to do so, that would be great!

It was my pleasure to assist you during your stay. I too love hot tea. The next time that you are in town, I'll get you some from my favorite India restaurant that's here in town. Nothing else comes close to this tea!

Upon your return to the area, please reach out to me personnally to make your reservation. It would be my pleasure to make it.

Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Just completed a very enjoyable 3 day stay at this property. The biggest compliment I can give this property is that I thought it was just built. Fit/finish/cleanliness were top notch. I travel to Newport news 2 times a year and will be using this hotel exclusively when available. Very minor issues. The usual key not working after a day. T.v. power cord was broken causing t.v. to lose power when pulled out. Tv had true h.d. reception...pool area great for a quick family swim..all staff were friendly, and fulfilled our 3 requests promptly

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank mattslatz

Dear Mattslatz,

Thank you so much for writing a wonderful comment about my hotel and the great customer service my staff offers! I just love it when I read reviews like this.

I'm sorry about the key problem during your stay. I know how frustrating that can be as a traveler.

Upon your return to the area, please reach out to me personally to make your reservation. It would be my pleasure to make it.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

As a business traveler I stay at Courtyard Marriott's quite often. I was duly impressed with this property. This is a 6 year old property built under the new Courtyard concept with the cafe. The cafe area is laid out somewhat differently then the renovated cafés being much larger and the bar area in the center. I especially liked the room's HVAC system. Typically I see separate units in each room that can be rather loud and annoying. This property has a central system that is extremely quiet and can be easily controlled in your room. The breakfast was fine. Request a room on a high floor (there are five) facing the front. There are townhouses in the immediate rear of the hotel where you may hear some unwanted noise. I moved to the front when I began hearing a motorcycle start up. Special thanks to Dena at the front desk ay both check-in and check-out who was especially kind and helpful. Also, the whirlpool and pool are wonderful. I recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Higher floor towards end facing the front. Quieter.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Terry B
Elizabeth P, General Manager at Courtyard Newport News Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Dear Terry B;

Thank you for choosing my hotel from a host of hotels in the area. I'm glad to know that you are a Marriott Loyalist!

You are correct, my hotel will be 6 years old in September of this year. We're very proud to be the first Courtyard built with the new refreshing look and the "C" bar concept. Currently, we are ranked #12 in the World of 880 Courtyards for "Overall Customer Satisfaction". We're really proud of that.

Deena at the front desk is a true gem. We receive wonderful comments about her professionalism, friendliness and her passion to serve the guest.

Please reach out to me when you make your next reservation. I'd like to make it personally.

Again, thank you for the wonderful comments and taking the time to place your comments on TripAdvisor.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

I stay here for the weekend with my son and his soccer team. The hotel was clean and looked fairly new. The beds were comfortable, the lounge was nice and the location was good. The best thing about this hotel was the staff. Elizabeth the GM, was very helpful and quick to get back to me about securing a meeting room for the team for the 2 nights. Jenny, was friendly, helpful, and a serious asset to that hotel, Vivian, was terrific about making sure that breakfast was not only set up for the 40 people in our party but that is was fresh and plentiful. I would recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to that area.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank MichaelBebe

Dear MichaelBebe;

Thank you for the lovely comments about my staff! It is so nice to know that we are doing everything right. Your hotel experience is very important to me. When I read comments such as yours, I just beam with pride.

Again, thank you for choosing my hotel out of all of the other hotels in the Hampton Roads area! We look forward to seeing you and the team again.