“Unfortunately,...I'll never stay here again” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Key West Inn

Key West Inn
Ranked #18 of 38 Hotels in Newport News
Georgeton, KY
“Unfortunately,...I'll never stay here again”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2011

I've stayed at this particular Econo twice in the past. My first time was uneventful and even though the place needed renovation,...the price of a jacuzzi room and the hotel's location were perfect so no complaints. My last stay did it for me. The hotel advertised new rooms and renovation but our room still looked run down down with a frige that didn't work,...missing light bulbs and a non-smoking room that smelled of heavy smoke. The final straw was the fact that out of the 3 nights we stayed 2 of the nights there was no hot water. Explaining to me how old the equipment was and that it takes time to warm up was what I got when contacting the front desk. YES,....the staff is very freindly and management is professional,...but that alone does not make up for a very uncomfortable stay. I will say here that management knocked off a significant amount from my bill because of the hot water issue and I appreciated that,....but never again will I stay at this establishment.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank ArmyDawg
EconoLodgeOP, Manager at Key West Inn, responded to this review, 15 March 2011
Thank you for your feedback. We are profusely sorry that you came on the weekend of the water heater problems. We had our onsite maintenance man and a contractor as well as virginia gas working around the clock trying to fix the problems that weekend. Unfortunately, they weren't able to pinpoint the problem until after you left. It is reassuring to us, as management, that at least you had a previous stay that went well without a hitch. On the otherhand, thank you for the compliments towards our management team and our staff. We truly appreciate the feedback and are happy that at least you were satisfied with the customer service. We will continue to strive to involve management in making sure all room standards are met for all future customers. We hope, that because of the first good experience and the fact that you were compensated for the bad one, you will come stay with us again, and let us make the next stay even more successful than either of the ones you've already had. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Sterling, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2010

Despite it being posted as a non-smoking room, our room seriously smelled of cigarette smoke. The carpet looked and felt dirty, and the bathroom was moldy with badly patched walls. On the plus side, the beds were comfortable and the front staff were very friendly. The location was good for shopping and dining, was close to the university that we were visiting and was relatively inexpensive. Still, if I were staying longer than one night, I would look for another hotel.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Ausweis
EconoLodgeOP, Manager at Key West Inn, responded to this review, 15 March 2011
Thank you for your review and your feedback. Thank you for the compliments towards our staff, they are our most valuable asset at Econo Lodge Oyster Point. We apologize that your stay was not satisfactory, however, we have just hired a maintenance man on site, as well as a head housekeeper whose sole job is to make sure that our rooms measure up to industry standards as far as cleanliness goes. We hope that in light of recent changes you will come back and stay with us again. Thank you!

Travellers are raving about these Newport News hotels

Beaufort, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2010

Firstly, I travel a lot. I'm a Choice Hotels diamond elite member and this is decidedly one of their best kept secrets. I've stayed here several times and the staff have always been extraordinarily friendly and helpful. If there's ever been any type of issue I've let them know and they've always responded in a rapid and courteous manner. Not the surly, "I was trying to finish watching my show." response too often found in value hotels. The rooms are invariably clean and comfortable, and even the cleaning staff are friendly. I don't know that I haven't received a smile and a "good morning" anytime I've bumped into one of them. The place has always been quiet, and I've never been awakened by doors crashing, people yelling, or the ever-dreaded "listening to the racket in the next room because of too-thin walls." Best of all...the price is right. Check out the "Choice Hotels" website and try to find another in the tidewater area to match their rate. Especially now, with the summer travel season coming. If you want a good, comfortable place to stay at a very reasonable cost, you can't miss.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank aaarrrggghhh
EconoLodgeOP, Manager at Key West Inn, responded to this review, 15 March 2011
Thank you so much for your valuable review. We are truly lucky to have regular customers like you that come in and are so loyal to us. We appreciate you staying with us and promise to be dedicated to your needs as time goes on. Thank you again from the WHOLE staff at Econo Lodge Oyster Point! Please come see us again soon!
Portsmouth, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2010

Well, it looked fairly new in the photos. I believe, as I sit here looking around, that every piece of furniture has damage. The fridge can't be opened unless you lean it back due to missing base pieces. Goodness knows if it works. The shower/tub does not drain and there is much black mildew in the bathroom. Taking a shower standing in 2" of cold water is *not* fun. There are badly patched holes in the walls of both the bathroom and the room. The heatlamp is not a heatlamp, it has a basic 60w bulb in it and the timer does not work. There is *no* alarm clock. *no* hairdryer, *no* fitted sheet on the bed (just a plain sheet tucked in) the towels are threadbare, this place is just worn out. It was inexpensive, the guy at the front desk is nice, but I'm glad we are only here 1 night. We were too tired and too unpacked to go look for another hotel. I wouldn't stay here again, and I probably won't want to stay at another Econo Lodge again as a result of this stay.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank weekend_warrier
EconoLodgeOP, Manager at Key West Inn, responded to this review, 15 March 2011
We thank you for your review. We are also very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us and ran into these problems. However, we appreciate the feedback, and will try to anticipate any such problems that may arise, ahead of time.