“Putrid Smokey and Bug Ridden”

Point Plaza Suites and Conference Hotel
Ranked #30 of 38 Hotels in Newport News
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
“Putrid Smokey and Bug Ridden”
Reviewed 18 January 2014

The worst hotel on the Virginia Peninsula. This hotel was full of smoke and musty from the lobby to the "Tower Rooms". Horrible parking, putrid smell and the beds are dirty. See the photos on this site of the vents and bathroom. Horrible customer service and don't be fooled by the "movie or DVD" offers. The breakfast (with armed guards) will leave you terrified.

Room Tip: Stay away! Noisy and Smoke filled
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Mike A, Manager at Point Plaza Suites and Conference Hotel, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations during your recent stay at the Point Plaza Suites. We strive to offer best in class hospitality on the Virginia Peninsula at an great value. I would be more than happy to address your concerns directly. Please reach out to us offline so we can better understand your concerns and make an effort to make it right.

Sorry again for any inconvenience your experienced with us at the point Plaza Suites Hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Newport News, Virginia
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Twenty years ago, my husband and I got married at Point Plaza and I thought it would be fun to relive our stay there as an anniversary getaway. We were very pleased not only by our accommodations, but also by the staff. Every phase of the getaway was perfect:
- The reservationist who booked our stay was informative.
- The lobby was grand.
- The desk staff was welcoming and informative. They told us of the many upgrades that had taken place at the hotel since our wedding.
- In our room there was a gift basket with a card signed by the staff! (Apparently, the reservationist had informed them of our plans!)
- My husband and I had a chance to see a delightful movie in the hotel's new media room. (I don't understand why all hotels don't have media rooms like this!)
- The suite consisted of a living room, bedroom, and bathroom. It was beautifully appointed with a fireplace and Jacuzzi tub.
- Breakfast was included in a spacious and dedicated restaurant area.
I've traveled extensively for business and have stayed at more expensive hotels, but none that I enjoyed more. My husband and I won't wait another 20 years to return.

Room Tip: Be nice to the staff!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Our accommodations, in a 4th Floor suite, which included an adjoining kitchen and living room area, were clean, bright, and attractive. The bedroom and bathroom areas were spacious and the king-sized bed very comfortable. The lobby was inviting and the front desk staff, of Dawn and Dolores, were extremely friendly, welcoming, and helpful. The location of this hotel was very convenient, on a main road and close to City Center (shopping, restaurants), I 64, and the campus of Christopher Newport University, Ferguson Center for the Arts, and the Mariner's Museum. We recommend Point Plaza Suites very highly and look forward to our next stay.

Room Tip: Our suite was spacious and located at the beginning of the hall, close to the elevator, which we app...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anita B
Knoxville
Reviewed 19 October 2013 via mobile

The lobby here is nice and the parking is plentiful. The front building is outside accessible rooms. The tower in back has four floors and the rooms are very outdated. The bed sleeps like a brick. The staff is nice.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank jrgenterprises
Hampton, Virginia
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I don't even know were to begin sharing the horrid of my stay. I booked 2 room, for 7days and 6 nights as a honeymoon get away. Upon arriving i was impressed with the grand look of the lobby. And soon as I walked through what looked to be a bulletproof partition, the sea stomach immediately begin to set in. I arrived to a urine smelled elevator. Walked in the room to see a big back tv... Officially knowing I got hustled, i decided to still make the best of a $750 investment and stay (no refunds) even if we decided to leave. Morning 1, the house keeper came in to tidy up by washing my drinking glasses in the bathroom sink with a face rag and a spray of bleach later using that same face rag to clean the bathroom. Day 2 The head board decided it was tired of hanging around and thought it would be a great idea to take a brake (literally) and land of my guest head. Went down stairs to talk to a manager only to learn that the MOTEL don't keep a manager on duty to save cost. A manager from another department the was on their way out the doors on her way home used common sense to process the fact a head just fell on a guest. I was moved to an upgraded room. Day 3)both rooms decided to go down for breakfast, attended at the entrance check our access key and allowed use to eat.. Sitting down eating we were approached by a rude and nasty manager who asked to see our keys again. I advised her that we already showed the guy up front, in an attempt to avoid a confrontation I showed her again. Looking around and observing other patrons in the dining room I noticed no one else was asked to show their keys, I felt some type of way... Later that night... We all went down to the pool. Our pool play was quickly interrupted by a pool light detaching it self from the pool wall. Going to the front counter to advise them of the safety hazard I was placed on the phone with a man whom i'd him self as Mr. Cullen the gm of the MOTEL. I explained what happened he followed up with what do you want me to do? I'm not you any money back. Shocked at the response of the gm I advise i didn't want to speak with anymore, because I simply called to advise him of da safety hazard... We checked out that night, leaving 2 rooms paid for with 4 days remaining... Save your self a headache and book somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2013
4 Thank myke757
Holly Springs, North Carolina
Reviewed 29 September 2013

I went for the hotwire low deal and wasn't sure what I was getting but hoping for a good deal.

Upon arrival the staff was very nice and conversational. The reception area was in decent conditional. Colors and styles somewhat outdated however good condition. There was no elevator to the room but there was little luggage so up the curved staircase wasn't bad. The room was the first one through the door to the rooms which was an interior door instead of an exterior entrance (I do not have a preference however I know some people do). On check out the very nice desk lady stated to get the room where ever and then call and they would put me in the same room or whatever I wanted.

The room itself was fine. Same as the reception area it was outdated in styles basically in the colors and the bathroom was an older style however everything was in good repair and clean. Picked up some DVD's the second evening to relax and chill. The DVD player was not working with the plugs in the back however plugged them in the front and all was good. (Mentioned this to the desk on the way out and she said we could have called and they would have fixed it and that they had a small movie theater that was playing one of the new releases that I had got from Redbox.

Didn't use the pool due to just not feeling like it however it looked fine and like most other indoor pools if not bigger.

There was a crying kid a few rooms down the first night and it was a bit disturbing and I noticed that I could hear a bit more than I am used too however it wasn't so bad and the hotel could do nothing about that. I do feel housekeeping could possibly be somewhat quieter but they were gracious when I needed something and I do not think they actually realize how sound carries in that particular area of the hotel. Acoustics are a little to good in that area!

Bed was comfortable and pillows were good as there was a variety of different feels from soft to firm.

It was mentioned at some point a different company might be buying this property and some upgrades made. I feel that for what I paid and what I had was a fairly decent deal. The location to me was the only part I didn't care for because it was on a main road coming off the highway and although this made getting around easy it did show that the area could be a bit rough. Had no issues though.

I did see on one of the review sites there was something mentioned about contractors all over. I am not sure why this was mentioned however I will state there were several individuals and groups that I would say were in the construction business. They as always acted like most of normal people at a hotel and I didn't find anything disturbing about them.

Overall this was a good place to stay for a cheap weekend to visit the area.

Room Tip: 290 is an interior room and except one little area outside the bathroom that the wall paper was peel...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank hjpoole
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I stayed at this hotel for two nights and was pleased with the service and cleanliness. Conviniently located off expressway and lots of places to see and eat. Staff were profesional and friendly. I definitely recommed and will be going back to Newport News and stay at this hotel. There is breakfast every morning, so one do not have to leave the hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family