“Very nice hotel!”

Ranked #1 of 38 Hotels in Newport News
Rocky Mount, United States
“Very nice hotel!”
Reviewed 31 May 2013

This is a nice budget friendly hotel. It's right in the middle of shopping area, close to Busch Gardens and the Virginia Living Museum. The staff was very nice. Our room had a broken sleeper sofa so they quickly replaced it with a cot. Breakfast goes to 10am everyday, not just weekends, which is good for our family that likes to sleep a little later. It was right off of 64 so it was an easy trip to anywhere in the area.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Wakefield, United States
Reviewed 30 May 2013

One of THE very best Hampton Inns I've stayed in in many years. The staff made it a cut above many hotel experiences; staff very gracious. The breakfast area is a bit small, but food selection was excellent.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Reviewed 7 April 2013

Negatives first: a big room mix up resulted in a $440 extra charge being put on our card. No one on the staff could fix this error when we called and we had to wait until the next day when the manager was in. The room was not quite clean, which concerned me because I had booked a room with a jetted tub...I always travel with disinfecting wipes just in case, but I really didn't want to clean a tub after an all day drive. The king bed was not as comfortable nor the linens as nice as a typical Hampton. Room was tired feeling with a small window and peeling wallpaper.
Positives: The manager was very apologetic about the overcharge, corrected it, and promised to train the staff on procedure. Breakfast was fine, staff friendly (but unable to help), rooms quiet. Very conveniently located.
I am rating this hotel "poor" because cleanliness is the top reason we stay at Hampton Inn and this room had not been thoroughly cleaned.

Room Tip: Small window and no views. Ask for a room away from the elevator for quiet.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank youngarmywife
Houston
Reviewed 25 March 2013

The hotel is a short distance from the Newport News airport, and the NASA facility at Langley which makes it very convenient. The hotel is surrounded by several restaurants, a K-Mart, a movie theater and a grocery store, so everything that you need is right there. As far as the rooms, the staff, etc., I found everything in order, not one complaint here.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Davidsonville, Maryland
Reviewed 19 March 2013

Upon arrival on 3/15/13 we got ready for bed. When my husband turned down the comforter we were shocked to see a very disgusting and disturbing stain that was obviously recent. There were also hairs and black fibers all over the bed. Obviously this bed was "used" and the sheets not changed. We called the desk and the woman there offered to "upgrade" us to a different room. We were not comfortable staying in this hotel and got out of there ASAP. I have traveled a lot over the years and I have never seen anything more vile and filthy. Shame on this hotel and its management. I just want people to know that this hotel doesn't always change it's sheets! We could very easily have gotten some kind of disease from the obvious liquid stain that was left. We took pictures and will be forwarding them to the hotel manager as well as the corporate office. It was a terrible way to start our weekend. We had no where else to go and ended up staying at a higher priced hotel nearby -- it was clean and welcoming, unlike the Newport News Hampton. I hope that everyone who reads this review heads my warning: Don't Stay Here!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Disgusted41104
Newark, Delaware
Reviewed 7 March 2013

Several family members and I traveled to the Yorktown, VA, area for a family get-together and a mini-vacation. My sister checked out hotels in the area, looking for one close to our nephew's Base and with an indoor pool for the children to enjoy. We also wanted breakfast included and were happy to find vacancies here at good rates. Directions on Google Maps and MapQuest were a little deceptive and it says to turn onto Commonwealth Drive to get into the Shopping Plaza the hotel is in. The only sign we found at the correct road to turn in from Victory Blvd. Rt. 171 from either direction (we had to make a couple of U-turns to find it by spotting the hotel) is Kiln Creek Parkway, not Commonwealth Drive. Once you have entered the Plaza, you'll spot a sign that says Commonwealth but it sure isn't visible from the highway.
Everyone working at this hotel was very friendly, helpful and courteous. I asked for a room away from the elevators but on the same floor as my sister's room. There was only one room on the same floor so we did end up with a room on the corner beside the elevator alcove. The construction of the walls or whatever was done for soundproofing doesn't work well and we could hear the elevator noises through the night. When the people in the adjoining room woke and were talking the next morning, we could hear everything they said on the other side of the wall. At first we thought they were in the hall by our door, the voices were so distinct and penetrating. Don't expect a room with a view unless you like parking lots and a roadway. The hotel has done it's best to make the outside area by the lobby welcoming, with some nice trees.
Our room was a good size, with a big closet and two comfortable beds. The beds seem smaller than Queen size but were big enough for a very comfortable night's sleep. We had one problem with the bed that is probably rare, but two of us fell because our feet caught in the corner of the duvet cover located at the foot of the bed, at floor level. The duvet is made like a big, open ended pillowcase and our feet went inside it and caught as we walked by the corner of the bed. It's kind of hard to explain, but if you are concerned about such things, just pull up the duvet so that it isn't as close to the carpet.
The upholstered chair and ottoman by the bed was very comfortable, too, and we all tried it out. The TV worked great and had a good picture and the internet worked great! tI was easy to connect and stay connected at a decent internet speed. The heating/air conditioning unit is at the base of the window and a little loud, with strong air current.
The bathrooms are good-sized and there is a lot of countertop space. The lights are nice and bright.
The room was very clean and well kept.
The swimming pool was a huge hit and was big enough for several families to enjoy. The water temperature was very comfortable. There was a hot tub next to the pool, too.
Breakfast the next morning was as represented, with a mix of hot and cold (boiled eggs, yogurt, cereals) do it yourself food available. Make your own waffles were delicious, and the simmering oatmeal was wonderful. We loved the extra toppings for oatmeal. There was a covered steamer with ham and cheese omelets and ham slices. Coffee, juices, and milk were plentiful. There were apples and bananas, too.
We were running later than expected and were given a later checkout with no problem.
The hotel followed up with me about my fall after I returned home, expressed concern about what had happened, and let me know they were reversing the charge for the room. That wasn't something I'd expected and I thought was very nice of them. While I was there, they asked if I needed any medical attention and let me know they would make sure i got it if I decided I did need it.
The good parts about this hotel made this a very happy trip for all of us and fit our priorities.

Room Tip: I agree that calling the hotel directly for room pricing is a good idea. We were given a lower rate...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank janetlorraine
Reviewed 21 February 2013 via mobile

I normally love Hampton Inn's for their beds. In this case the were horrible. No bed pad and hard as a rock. Linens were not the normal thick stuff for a Hampton Inn. I was so surprised by how hard the bed was I checked to see if the mattress was upside down, it wasn't.

I will say the rest of the room was nice and the general location is good.

• Stayed February 2013