“Ok stay if you set your expectations right”

Quality Inn Newport News
Ranked #19 of 38 Hotels in Newport News
San Francisco, California
“Ok stay if you set your expectations right”
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Week long stay when in the area to visit family. Options are rather limited in the immediate vicinity. Nicer full service hotels are across the water in Norfolk but that is a bit of a hike away. So, that's the backdrop for this review.

The plus. Room was clean and comfortable. Climate control works well, both in heating and cooling modes. Front desk staff were friendly an efficient. Lobby area small but welcoming. Coffee available all day.

The minus. Hotel should think twice about its choice of cleaning products. Not everyone likes the smell of floral potpourri. It is such an overwhelming smell from the minute you step in the doors. The hotel should take this into consideration. Neutral or unscented is the industry standard. The breakfast is so so. Basically reheated jimmy dean packaged products, pastries and juice. Good when you are desperate for a quick bite but there are lots of better options just down the road. Walls are super thin and lack insulation. I could clearly hear the conversations in the next room.

All in all, given the other choices in the area (no-tell-mo-tells), the Quality Inn is a good choice. I would probably make the same choice again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
StephenBarger, Manager at Quality Inn Newport News, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Thank you for your business, and your candid and fair review of our property. We are an older hotel, and we don't have a lot of frills. But we are proud to offer clean, comfortable rooms with an inviting, professional staff, and we do all we can to make each guests stay as good as possible. As you can see from our other reviews we generally have great reviews, and very satisfied guests. I am sorry you were not thrilled with your stay, but I am glad that we at least met your basic expectations, as you stated your room was clean, the staff was friendly, with good, working AC & heating for each room. We will look at other cleaning products and see if we can find something more neutral that is appealing to all guests.

Again, I thank you for your business and your fair review. I hope to see you in the future when you're in the area visiting family!

Vice President of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Venice, Florida
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Motel was clean, our room was well furnished, bed was comfortable, shower worked perfectly, temperature control was very good, halls were quiet, staff members were polite, and hot breakfast was provided. We have previously stayed here, and returned because our stay was enjoyable.

Room Tip: Overall good value.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
StephenBarger, Manager at Quality Inn Newport News, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Dear tilson01fl,

Thank you very much for your business and for taking the time to write this excellent review of our hotel. In 2012 we underwent extensive renovations and we are glad that it is showing :) . We pride ourselves in providing one of the best values in the Hampton Roads area, we consistently provide clean, comfortable rooms, friendly, helpful staff, at reasonable rates. And I am glad you mentioned our hot breakfast! We understand families, and we understand when travelling with children, eating out every meal can add up quick. We are happy to provide a hot breakfast in the mornings to start your day off right, without adding further to the travel expenses!

Again, thank you very much for your great review, and we look forward to having you as our guest when you're in the area for years to come!

jamestown
Reviewed 11 November 2013

This was an adaquate hotel when you will be with family at their residence most of your visit.
Rooms were well presented and extremely clean. Front desk personnel were very welcoming and had a gift bag for us. The lobby, breakfast room,etc. were well maintained and clean. Would be very happy to stay there again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
StephenBarger, Manager at Quality Inn Newport News, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Thank you so much for your review of your recent stay with us. We are thrilled to see you enjoyed your stay. We are an older property, but we pride ourselves in providing clean, well maintained rooms to all of our guests. We are thrilled to see we have lived up to this, and we hope to see you again during your next visit to the area!

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Stayed here over the weekend of Oct 18-21 for the Phish concerts at Hampton Coliseum. Price was right the rooms were clean the beds were not great but the place was not disgusting or unfit to stay in at all. My room was fine. As for the person who wrote welcome to jail I was at the hotel all weekend those same dates doing all the same things you were and not ONCE did i see a cop in the parking lot or in the building itself. I was outside with the groups of fans smoking cigs and drinking and never encountered any problem. I did however see some guest smoking pot in the parking lot and that may have been what attracted the police cause last I check it was still illegal in VA. Ran into many police at the shows and they were all super nice. I would stay here again if Phish returns to the Mothership.

Room Tip: room 205 was clean and nice and smoke free
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mktaylor77
StephenBarger, Manager at Quality Inn Newport News, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Thank you for your business and your very fair review. Our hotel is older, but recently renovated, and we do all we can to ensure that all guests are satisfied with their stays. I am glad to see you enjoyed your stay with us, and I hope to see you during your next visit to the Mother Ship (aka the Hampton Coliseum)!
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Restful stay. Rooms are clean and furnishings we new. Staff very nice. Our 2 Double bed room was small but comfortable. No closet or place to hang clothes, but we understand they are ordering closets. Could tell that the staff was there to make sure we were pleased with our stay. Hot breakfast items were warm at best, but there were plenty of options. Would stay again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ThemillersinPA
Thank you very much for your great response, and for your business! I am thrilled to see you enjoyed your stay, and look forward to seeing you next time you're in town.

Saint Simons Island, Georgia
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I was delighted to find this hotel less than 10 minutes from the nearby Hampton Coliseum and priced so low. Well you certainly get what you pay for as well as a few things that you didn't agree to pay for: like the $100 deposit they charged on arrival and refused to release until after a walk-through or the $35 per person charge they tried to add even though we booked the room online for the same amount of people that we brought. We were repeatedly harassed by local law enforcement out front of, behind, and inside the small hotel. Detained for 30 minutes on suspicion of public drunkenness simply for walking outside the hotel to smoke with alcoholic beverages in nondescript containers (solo cups and we are all in our 30s). Approached at gunpoint in the hallway outside the door of my 3rd floor room and questioned about searching my room and whether or not me and my travel companions were "high" (we most assuredly were not). Asked for ID and permission to search my vehicle while standing outside waiting for a taxi to the venue this time sans beverages and without any provocation or hint of probable cause. We were instructed by management that this behavior and constant police presence was normal and acceptable at all other local hotels; however, I heard no such complaints from any other concert goers about their experiences and even asked hotel personnel at other properties if this was commonplace and was quite firmly told NO. In all my travels I've never encountered police presence inside the guest areas of a hotel and never been approached by law enforcement in the parking lots either. The repeated harassment was a constant source of undue anxiety that nearly ruined an otherwise enjoyable vacation weekend. We were made to feel like we could be arrested or questioned at anytime for any reason despite the fact that we were responsible and law abiding. I will not be returning to the Quality Inn on J Clyde Morris in Newport News for any reason. The idea that the management of this hotel green-lighted the pervasive police presence and repeatedly allowed them access inside the building to beat on doors, listen at doors, and oddly sniff and smell at doors was nothing short of alarming and completely unacceptable. Save yourself the headache and spend a few more bucks on a hotel that isn't out to screw you out of your money or get you arrested for no reason.

Room Tip: Rooms at another hotel are less of a hassle.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
I am sorry you were dissatisfied with your recent stay with us. To clarify, we do not generally charge any deposit, nor do we inspect the rooms. The deposit and room inspection was done because of the Phish Concert in town that weekend, and most room deposits were refunded at check-out without any problem. Guests that had extra people in the room and were obvious about it, guests who smoked in non smoking rooms, etc, were charged against their deposits. The police were sporadically in all the hotels that weekend, although, to my knowledge were not randomly knocking on guest doors or pulling weapons on guests. If this is indeed the case, I would followup with the Newport News Police Department, as that would be their responsibility. I am sorry you weren't happy with your stay, and if you would like to discuss this further feel free to contact me directly at the hotel.

Detroit
Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

I frequently visit the Hampton, Virginia area and I decided to stay in Newport News. I am glad I did. This Quality Inn was very clean and smelled pleasant throughout. I always clean my room with disinfectant wipes and no dirt/dust was apparent. All advertised amenities were present. The breakfast was well stocked and good. There was even a variety of offerings on the second day of my stay. The hotel was very quiet so whether you are traveling for business or pleasure you will not be disturbed. The staff was very friendly and available.

If you are a value conscious traveller you will not be disappointed by staying here.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Janell K
StephenBarger, General Manager at Quality Inn Newport News, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Thank you for your great review. We love hearing how we're doing from our guests. I am thrilled to see you enjoyed your recent stay with us, and I hope to see you again when you're in town!