“Nice hotel, one of the best fitness centers”

Comfort Inn Newport News/Williamsburg East
Ranked #13 of 40 Hotels in Newport News
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 1 April 2013 via mobile

Nice comfortable stay. Room was good. Flat screen tv. Bathroom was clean and the bed was comfortable. I work out several times a week so I was very impressed by the large fitness center that had pro grade benches, free weights, up to 80 lb dumbbells, squat rack, etc. Added this hotel to my favorites.

• Stayed: March 2013
Loni C, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn Newport News/Williamsburg East, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2013

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review and for staying with us at Holiday Inn Express Newport News. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our fitness center! Thank you for your business and for adding our hotel to your favorites! We look forward to seeing you again soon in Newport News!

Reviewed 22 March 2013

We stayed here one night, and the staff was friendly. The room was very nice and comfortable. We experienced no issues with this hotel. We are platinum members and there is a reason we stay at Holiday Inn's. I love the Express locations. The breakfast is warm and fresh. It was an outstanding stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Loni C, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn Newport News/Williamsburg East, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2013

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review and for staying with us at Holiday Inn Express Newport News. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our complimentary breakfast! We look forward to seeing you again soon next time you are in the area! Thank you for your business and thank you again for your review.

Reviewed 16 February 2013

My experience was also forwarded to the corporate office.

Does platinum level membership entitle you to remove a guest from his room simply because you want his particular guestroom? Does the guest relations staff have a policy that defaults to siding with the hotel, even when the hotel has clearly told a lie? Yet this is the experience that I endured today at Holiday Inn Express and after a call to the guest relations department. I have never been so upset at the way I was treated by a hotel.

My stay initially warranted a strong compliment for the young man that facilitated the check-in process. I arrived at this hotel at 4 am, as a result of a 3 hour drive to see my father in the hospital. Unfortunately he passed away before I could reach him, and we decided to pull off of the road and stay at Holiday Inn. The front desk clerk was extremely friendly and sympathetic to my dismay at having just lost my father. We checked in without a problem, and he put my husband and I in a double-bed room because all of the king beds were occupied. Since my husband and I would now be extending our stay to remain for my father's funeral, I returned to the front desk to notify the next clerk (Felicia) that I would be staying an additional 5 days. I decided to remain at this location, because other family members were going to be arriving in town for the funeral and we wanted to stay together. She took my credit card and authorized it for an additional 5 night stay. I left the property to run errands and an hour later she called me to tell me that her General Manager told her to call and inform me that one of the Platinum level members wanted my specific room and would it be ok if I was moved to the room next door. I asked her what was different about the room next door and she said it was identical to my current room. I asked her if the rooms were identical, then why couldn't she place the platinum member in the next door room. She stated that her manager told her that the platinum member asked for my specific room and that I would need to move, and there was nothing that she (or I) could do about it. She stated that the hotel would facilitate my move by going in the room and removing all of my personal belongings and moving it to the room next door. I told her that I would not authorize that and that I would be returning to the hotel. While driving back to the hotel, I called the customer care number and spoke with someone from Guest Relations. I told her the scenario and she put me on hold for several minutes while she called the hotel. When she returned on the line, she stated that the front desk agent said that she had confused herself and there was no issue with the platinum member, but that the room needed to be serviced. I told the guest relations agent that I found that excuse extremely hard to believe because the front desk agent was neither confused nor wavered in her explanation to me. She was very direct about the situation and stated that this particular platinum member always stays in my room and was entitled to have it. In addition, I explained that my husband and I experienced no service issues and did not place a service call for maintenance. There was no need or explanation for the hotel to randomly kick us out of the room for maintenance. The guest relations agent said there was nothing she could do but offer me a discount rate. I left your property and booked the remainder of my stay at a different hotel. Please understand that this experience was EXTREMELY stressful, especially in the midst of the unexpected funeral arrangements that I needed to make for my father. I called my mother to encourage her to cancel her reservation for the additional family members if your hotel is going to treat our family in this manner. Unfortunately we had already made arrangements for the transportation to pick us up from your hotel to take us to the funeral home, and to return us to the property to have the funeral reception in the conference room of the sister hotel next door. Cancelling such arrangements at the last minute would cause the additional stress of new financial arrangements and coordination, but please believe we are extremely outraged at this treatment. I will add that during the evening, it was confirmed that someone was occupying my previously occupied room. There was no service maintenance that made the room unavailable for the night. This experience has truly affected my perception of your brand. I truly expected the guest relations agent to handle my issue with much greater proactivity and concern... especially in light of the actions of the hotel and general manager. Having to stay at another hotel was burdened by the fact that the front desk agent had already authorized my card for $600, the equivalent of 6 nights stay. The unavailability of my funds to use towards a different hotel yet burden that I had to overcome for a sorrowful weekend that I did not expect.

Room Tip: Select another property. Paper thin walls and a train track nearby make for a bad night's sleep.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn Newport News/Williamsburg East, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2013

Dear LuvnRJ,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We are truly sorry to hear about your father, please accept our condolences. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class customer service and and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. We’d like to obtain some additional details regarding your experience, so I have sent you a private message.

I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 13 November 2012

This Hotel was very nice. We had a softball tournament close by and our team stayed at this particular hotel. I always go on to read the reviews before booking so I feel it is important for me to put my review out here. The hotel was nice and clean and the staff was very professional. Hats off to Hazel for putting up with us in the breakfast area. She went above and beyond to make sure our girls' (and parents) were fed well even though it was close to cutting off Breakfast. She had such patience with all of our Children which was a nice touch. She was just AWESOME!!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Cathy C, Manager at Comfort Inn Newport News/Williamsburg East, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2012

We appreciate you taking the time to comment on trip advisor. We "Thank You " for staying with us and your wonderful remarks about Ms. Hazel we truly are fortunate to have her. Please when in the area come and stay with us again it was a pleasure having the team at our hotel.

Reviewed 30 August 2012

The location of this hotel is what made me choose it (between Virginia Beach and Water Country USA theme park). I stayed in a non-smoking, king-sized bedroom. Everything was clean, sheets looked brand new and the bathroom sink counter top looked new. I have become a big fan of the Hotel Impossible television show so I definitely look at more things in a hotel room than I used to. I rated the sleep quality high as the bed was firm, pillows (4) were soft and I slept great after a long day at the beach. One "plus" I can give this hotel is the location with several restaurants (IHOP, Wendy's, locally-owned) and a grocery store (Food Lion) within a three minute drive down Warwick Blvd. I'm not certain whether or not I'd stay here again as I think the rate at $99/night was a little high for this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Michael A, Owner at Comfort Inn Newport News/Williamsburg East, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2012

Thank you for taking to time to write this review. We strive to offer the bext value we can and feedback is the best way to measure how we are performing.

We are pleased that we met your expectations - even as a Hotel Impossible Fan ;-). We pride ourselves on being the best value between Busch Gardens amusement park and the Virginia Beaches. We are glad that you agree.

We hope to welcome you back the next time you visit the area.

Michael A.

Reviewed 12 August 2012

Felt management was dishonest. Reserved non-smoking room. Was stuck in smoking room. Was offered a discount the night before in order to keep us from going to another hotel. Manager the next day only honored about 75% of the reduction. Seemed disinterested. Felt like it was bait and switch.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Joshua G
Michael A, Owner at Comfort Inn Newport News/Williamsburg East, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2012

I am writing to thank you for your review and to appologize for the feeling you had that our hotel was dishonest and that you felt that you had experienced a "bait and switch".

Certainly, it was our fault that we were unable to accomodate your request for a non-smoking room type. As a non-smoker myself, I know that it can be frustrating when a hotel can not accomodate guest requests for non-smoking because the hotel was full. We are sorry for the inconvenience that this caused you and hope that you will give us another chance to satisfy you when you are next in Newport News, Virginia.

Michael A

Reviewed 31 July 2012

Do not stay here if you are expecting the high level of service and quality that you get with the Holiday Inn Express name. Room was awful, bathroom had exposed wiring in the recessed lighting right above the shower. Booked a King room, and when we arrived we were given a double. When I questioned it, I was informed that anytime you use the Iphone app to make reservations, you will ALWAYS get a double. We did not even get our little bag at check in with goodies.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank StacyG74
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn Newport News/Williamsburg East, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2012

Dear StacyG74,

Thank you so much for your candid review of our hotel. We are deeply sorry we fell below your expectations. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and it is for these reasons that your comments about the room amenities are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future.

We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Janice A.