“Very clean hotel, friendly staff, comfortable stay”

Comfort Inn Newport News/Williamsburg East
Ranked #13 of 40 Hotels in Newport News
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 18 March 2014

We chose Holiday Inn Express in Newport News based on the reviews and were pleasantly surprised. The gentleman at the front desk, Jose, was friendly, professional, and even laughed at my jokes. The room was very clean, quiet, and the bed comfortable. In the morning, we got to meet Hazel in the breakfast room. Her warm Southern smile and friendly personality made us feel like we were having breakfast with family. She was so helpful and sweet, we wanted to take her home with us! The food was typical hotel breakfast items and was very adequate. The eggs were fresh and the baked goods were delicious. We especially enjoyed the danish pastry. One reviewer complained about the location, but we found it to be just fine and easy to spot the sign which was visible from the highway. Next time we visit Newport News, we will surely consider this location again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Tammy B, General Manager at Comfort Inn Newport News/Williamsburg East, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Thank you for your genuine compliments about your visit with us at Holiday Inn Express Newport News. We loved reading how much you enjoyed your checkin experience and breakfast and that your room was clean and you found our location to be convenient for your travels. Thank you for your kind words about Jose and Hazel; I'm so pleased that they made your experience extra special. We look forward to welcoming you back many times in the future. Best wishes!

Reviewed 14 March 2014

Friendly and helpful staff. Great proximity to Fort Eustis. Breakfast buffet was tasty and was well stocked. Cleaning staff was very efficient and effective. Grounds were neat and well maintained. Parking was plentiful. Wireless Internet access was free and the signal was very strong. Great selection of TV channels. Bed was very firm (the way I like it!). Plenty of pillows. Was able to keep the room very dark for sleeping. Very quiet. Plenty of accessible outlets for the iron, computer, and C-PAP.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Tammy B, General Manager at Comfort Inn Newport News/Williamsburg East, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Express as your preferred hotel and for writing a 5-star review for us! We are so pleased that we exceeded your expectations and that you had a lovely experience. My team and I appreciate your compliments; we enjoy our work. Please let us welcome you back again very soon!

Reviewed 8 March 2014

Consistent with all Holiday Inn Express hotels. Great location, just off I64, clean, remodeled, very reasonable. Great staff, Doug was great and checked to ensure everything was ok. We will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Tammy B, General Manager at Comfort Inn Newport News/Williamsburg East, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Thank you for your compliments about our hotel, location and staff. We're so pleased that Doug worked to make your visit with us extra special. Please visit us again soon!

Reviewed 28 December 2013

Nicely remodeled hotel with all the things needed for a good nights rest at a reasonable rate. Walking distance to some good restaurants. Friendly staff and decent breakfast. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Jim G, Manager at Comfort Inn Newport News/Williamsburg East, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

We would like to thank you for posting a wonderful comments about our hotel. We do greatly appreciate your time and business. We will past your compliments on to our entire staff.

Reviewed 20 December 2013

This hotel is quietly tucked away close to Fort Eustis Army Base. It is conveniently located right of interstate 64. It is located in a nice area. The hotel staff was Extremely Friendly.

As I was in the lobby working on school work, the cleaning staff was vacuuming and cleaning the tables keeping the appearance of the hotel welcoming.

This is a hotel I would absolutely recommend.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Jim G, Manager at Comfort Inn Newport News/Williamsburg East, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

I would like to thank you again, for staying with us. I do once again apologize about the situation the you had experienced with us during your stay. I have personally talked to both of my desk clerks as it pertained to them in this review. I am glad that you had called me directly about this situation first and that I had met your needs in customer satisfaction with the extra IHG Rewards Points. Our goal here at the hotel is to ALWAYS go above and beyond in Customer Satisfaction.
It would be an honor to have you as a guest in the future again at our hotel.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

I was in town for less than 24 hours - looking for a place to get a few hours of sleep before my long 12 hour drive home. This was my first time staying at a Holiday Inn Express. On 11/2/13, I arrived at the hotel around 2:45pm. I had the pleasure of speaking with Doug. He had such a positive personality and seemed to really enjoy his job. He is such a huge asset to that hotel, I hope they know that. My check-in was speedy, under 5 minutes. I also recieved a special "goody bag" for being an IHG member. At this point, I was already impressed. I arrived at my room and it appeared clean and the king size bed looked inviting. Bonus points! Unfortunately, when I went to get into the shower, I noticed some small black hairs stuck to the shower curtain. It did make me wonder if the shower had actually been cleaned. But it was nothing that couldn't be overlooked. Overall, I was impressed by the room, the bed, and its size. My plan was to leave the hotel at approx 3:00AM on 11/3/13. My "speedy checkout" invoice had already been placed under the door, but I always like to make sure that I check-out with an actual person if at all possible. Unfortunately, when I made my way down to the lobby and front desk - I noticed that the female front desk staff member was sound asleep - head and face down on the desk. My boyfriend and I stood there for a few minutes, not sure what to do. I was actually hoping that she would wake up. Unfortunately, she didn't and we were out of time and needed to get on the road.
The next day, I phoned the manager of this facility about the sleeping employee. He was very friendly, apologized and indicated that this behavior is not the norm. He ended up placing some bonus points on my rewards account. I did not expect this, but it was appreciated. All in all - a good experience. Will definitely stay again if I'm in the area.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Erin S
Jim G, Manager at Comfort Inn Newport News/Williamsburg East, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2013

It would be an honor to have you as a guest in the future again at our hotel.

Reviewed 2 October 2013

We arrived here pretty late with a huge pile of luggage in a small room. The guy who checked us in, Doug, was a delight. He couldn't believe his eyes when two travel weary English people turned up with so many bags. His face was a picture and it made us laugh for the rest of the holiday. He was very knowledgeable about the area and helped us with directions to restuarants. We decided to stay another night and it was so nice to be greeted with his huge smile when he saw us again. Thanks Doug. x

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Jim G, Manager at Comfort Inn Newport News/Williamsburg East, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

I would like to take time and Thank You for staying with us. I do apologize that we didn't have a larger room size to accommodate all your luggage. I do want to Thank You for your wonderful comments about my desk clerk Doug. I have talked to Doug about this and he says Thank You, too. Hopefully you will be able to stay with us again in the future. Thank You, AGM Jim