“Outstanding Front Desk Staff” 4 of 5 bubbles

Comfort Inn Newport News/Williamsburg East
Ranked #11 of 38 Hotels in Newport News
GreenLeadersBronze level
Williamsburg, Virginia
“Outstanding Front Desk Staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

Give the Holiday a Try!

I have had the pleasure of spending one year with the Holiday Inn Express in Newport News, VA., off and on with business affairs.

Yes, there were some growing pains along the way. It is important that all who reads this review understand that no one is obligated to do anything but the job. I will say that the staff at the Holiday Inn Express has gone out of the way to make my stay enjoyable, comfortable and relaxing.

There are a few staff members that I would like to recognize by name, I do hope they don't mind. I am forever grateful to Front Desk Staff, Michelle. It is with pleasure to write a review regarding Michelle. She is a wonderful employee. Michelle will go beyond the duty to make sure guests are comfortable and that all concerns are addressed.

Michelle is a problem solver, she actually checks rooms herself to make sure everything is fine before the guest checks in for the day, and will be at your call in the event a guest is in need of anything. You can be sure that Michelle is there for you, the guest.

I have never experienced such an outstanding young lady, that is so willing to help anyone, and by doing so, has given the hotel a great name. Michelle is awesome!!!! Remember, if you visit the Holiday Inn, tell Michelle that Dr. Hofler sent you. I must say, you will not be disappointed.

Doug is a wonderful worker. He has a outstanding sense of humor, quick to take care of your needs and addresses any concerns you may have.

Hazel is a doll. She is friendly, helpful, a hard worker, and trust me, I want to be like Hazel when I grow up. She is one individual that has stamina, loyalty to all guests, and willing to go out of her way to make sure the guest is taken care of.

Tammy, Sheila, and Pat, also do what it is they need to do to make the guests feel at home. Everyone is in the helping business. I can't see anyone getting an attitude about constructive criticism. If you experience this, there must be something going on. Everyone is entitled to a bad second, but most do not make it a bad day. Give them another try, again, tell them Dr. Hofler sent you.

You are in for a treat, Michelle, Hazel and Doug will spread out the "Red Carpet", you will be treated like family. You can't go wrong. Give the Holiday Inn a try, you will not be sorry, trust me!!!

Enjoy your stay at the HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS - 16890 Warwick Blvd. Newport News, VA

Room Tip: I enjoy the 2nd or 4th floor. (One tip to housekeeping, sssshhhh, in the am, the door slamming hasn...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Tammy B, General Manager at Comfort Inn Newport News/Williamsburg East, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Thank you for recommending Holiday Inn Express to others who visit Newport News. We enjoy your visits and cannot thank you enough for being our loyal guest. My team and I appreciate you mentioning our names in your review and hope you'll continue to visit us often. All the best!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

Mr Doug did an outstanding job with our check in. He very professional as we'll as friendly. There were several questions we had pertaining to the area and he was very helpful with that information. I will be staying here again!

Room Tip: Clean rooms and close to everything
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Tammy B, General Manager at Comfort Inn Newport News/Williamsburg East, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Thanks for 5-star review! I'm glad to hear you had a great visit and loved our clean rooms, location and service. I'll be sure to let Doug know how much you appreciated him going the extra mile for you. When you come back to the area, please be sure to stay with us again. Best wishes!
Madera, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

The rooms were clean, staff friendly and helpful. Breakfast was great and Hazel your the best. She kept the food coming and it was good. Very helpful with any question we might have had. I would recommend Holiday Inn Express. One thing I would like to see happen is airport shuttle. It would be so helpful . I noticed some of the hotels did have the shuttle for their custoers.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Tammy B, General Manager at Comfort Inn Newport News/Williamsburg East, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
We greatly appreciate you choosing Holiday Inn Express for your visit to Newport News. Thank you for writing a lovely review of our property and for your compliments of our staff, clean rooms and Hazel at breakfast and giving us a suggestion for future improvements. Please give us a call soon to book your next stay. We'd love to see you again very soon.
Richmond, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

This is the second hotel I have tried in Newport News, and have yet to find a decent one. The rooms were ok, a bit dated, but not bad. But my room smelled like smoke. When I brought this to Tammy's attention she had an attitude, as if it was my imagination that the room smelled like smoke. If it wasn't for her attitutde, I would have probably returned. But it's ok, I would rather spend the night in my car. I will be looking for decent hotels in Newport News, hopefully I will find one.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank James T
Tammy B, General Manager at Comfort Inn Newport News/Williamsburg East, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Thank you for writing a review on TripAdvisor for our property. I sincerely apologize for offending you. Unfortunately, I do not recall this conversation. Would you please reach out to me. I would like an opportunity to apologize to you directly and set this right. We hold our guests in the highest regard and welcome opportunities to hear both positive and negative feedback. I am so sorry that we did not give your concern the attention it deserved. I hope to hear from you soon.
Valley Forge PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

We chose Holiday Inn Express in Newport News based on the reviews and were pleasantly surprised. The gentleman at the front desk, Jose, was friendly, professional, and even laughed at my jokes. The room was very clean, quiet, and the bed comfortable. In the morning, we got to meet Hazel in the breakfast room. Her warm Southern smile and friendly personality made us feel like we were having breakfast with family. She was so helpful and sweet, we wanted to take her home with us! The food was typical hotel breakfast items and was very adequate. The eggs were fresh and the baked goods were delicious. We especially enjoyed the danish pastry. One reviewer complained about the location, but we found it to be just fine and easy to spot the sign which was visible from the highway. Next time we visit Newport News, we will surely consider this location again.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Tammy B, General Manager at Comfort Inn Newport News/Williamsburg East, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Thank you for your genuine compliments about your visit with us at Holiday Inn Express Newport News. We loved reading how much you enjoyed your checkin experience and breakfast and that your room was clean and you found our location to be convenient for your travels. Thank you for your kind words about Jose and Hazel; I'm so pleased that they made your experience extra special. We look forward to welcoming you back many times in the future. Best wishes!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

Friendly and helpful staff. Great proximity to Fort Eustis. Breakfast buffet was tasty and was well stocked. Cleaning staff was very efficient and effective. Grounds were neat and well maintained. Parking was plentiful. Wireless Internet access was free and the signal was very strong. Great selection of TV channels. Bed was very firm (the way I like it!). Plenty of pillows. Was able to keep the room very dark for sleeping. Very quiet. Plenty of accessible outlets for the iron, computer, and C-PAP.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Tammy B, General Manager at Comfort Inn Newport News/Williamsburg East, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Express as your preferred hotel and for writing a 5-star review for us! We are so pleased that we exceeded your expectations and that you had a lovely experience. My team and I appreciate your compliments; we enjoy our work. Please let us welcome you back again very soon!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

Consistent with all Holiday Inn Express hotels. Great location, just off I64, clean, remodeled, very reasonable. Great staff, Doug was great and checked to ensure everything was ok. We will definitely stay again.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Tammy B, General Manager at Comfort Inn Newport News/Williamsburg East, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Thank you for your compliments about our hotel, location and staff. We're so pleased that Doug worked to make your visit with us extra special. Please visit us again soon!