“Nice Last Minute Stay”

Comfort Inn Newport News/Williamsburg East
Ranked #13 of 39 Hotels in Newport News
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I booked with this property at the last minute on a day when I thought my son would not get a day pass from his base for the next day and he actually did. I tried to rebook with the hotel I had checked out of that morning and there was no availability. Actually I got the very last room available in the area, and at this property. The gentleman at the desk was extremely helpful when I called, and more than helpful when I checked in. He gave a great description of the amenities and property, and the room was very quiet for a last minute booking. The facility was extremely convenient for visiting my son as well!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Tammy B, General Manager at Comfort Inn Newport News/Williamsburg East, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Thank you so much for writing this lovely review about your visit with us. We are so pleased that you chose our Holiday Inn Express when visiting your son. I will be sure to pass on your compliments about the staff member who assisted you and let them know how much you appreciate the warm welcome you received. We'd love for you to rebook with us next time you come into our area and will do our very best to make your next visit a 5-star experience.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

I was here three nights for business and will definately keep in mind to stay again. The front desk staff was phenominal (Michelle) during check in and co-incidently she was there when I checked out and she remembered me by name and room number. Great breakfast, the eating area was clean, organized and always stocked. My only negative experience was with the housekeeping of the room. Would have been nice if the room was vacuumed daily and the trash taken out. My apple core from day one was still there when I checked out. Cleaning supplies were also left in my room. The rest of the facility was clean though!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Tammy B, General Manager at Comfort Inn Newport News/Williamsburg East, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2014

Thank you for staying with us and providing feedback about your experience. We appreciate your compliments of our service and public area cleanliness. I sincerely apologize for the issues you experienced and am taking immediate corrective steps and training initiatives. Thank you for letting us know what you liked and we can improve to make your next visit more enjoyable. We hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

We have stayed here 6 times during the past 2 months. It is just outside of Ft. Eustis. Very convenient to restaurants and shops. Quiet area of town. The staff is wonderful. Very helpful and friendly. All of the front desk managers are fabulous. The free breakfast is also great. The eating area is very clean. The attendant is so sweet and helpful. The food variety is good and everything is very fresh. Rooms are clean. Bathrooms are very clean, also. Plenty of parking and the grounds at the hotel are kept very pretty. They have efficiency rooms, regular rooms and their beds are so comfy.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Kimberly B
Tammy B, General Manager at Comfort Inn Newport News/Williamsburg East, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

I cannot thank you enough for staying with us frequently and writing such a wonderful 5-star review of our Holiday Inn Express! It is fantastic to hear that you love our service, cleanliness,breakfast, location, and green initiatives and were able to rest peacefully in a comfy bed. We are flattered that you think so well of us and look forward to continuing to welcome you back often. Best Wishes!

Reviewed 8 April 2014

Give the Holiday a Try!

I have had the pleasure of spending one year with the Holiday Inn Express in Newport News, VA., off and on with business affairs.

Yes, there were some growing pains along the way. It is important that all who reads this review understand that no one is obligated to do anything but the job. I will say that the staff at the Holiday Inn Express has gone out of the way to make my stay enjoyable, comfortable and relaxing.

There are a few staff members that I would like to recognize by name, I do hope they don't mind. I am forever grateful to Front Desk Staff, Michelle. It is with pleasure to write a review regarding Michelle. She is a wonderful employee. Michelle will go beyond the duty to make sure guests are comfortable and that all concerns are addressed.

Michelle is a problem solver, she actually checks rooms herself to make sure everything is fine before the guest checks in for the day, and will be at your call in the event a guest is in need of anything. You can be sure that Michelle is there for you, the guest.

I have never experienced such an outstanding young lady, that is so willing to help anyone, and by doing so, has given the hotel a great name. Michelle is awesome!!!! Remember, if you visit the Holiday Inn, tell Michelle that Dr. Hofler sent you. I must say, you will not be disappointed.

Doug is a wonderful worker. He has a outstanding sense of humor, quick to take care of your needs and addresses any concerns you may have.

Hazel is a doll. She is friendly, helpful, a hard worker, and trust me, I want to be like Hazel when I grow up. She is one individual that has stamina, loyalty to all guests, and willing to go out of her way to make sure the guest is taken care of.

Tammy, Sheila, and Pat, also do what it is they need to do to make the guests feel at home. Everyone is in the helping business. I can't see anyone getting an attitude about constructive criticism. If you experience this, there must be something going on. Everyone is entitled to a bad second, but most do not make it a bad day. Give them another try, again, tell them Dr. Hofler sent you.

You are in for a treat, Michelle, Hazel and Doug will spread out the "Red Carpet", you will be treated like family. You can't go wrong. Give the Holiday Inn a try, you will not be sorry, trust me!!!

Enjoy your stay at the HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS - 16890 Warwick Blvd. Newport News, VA

Room Tip: I enjoy the 2nd or 4th floor. (One tip to housekeeping, sssshhhh, in the am, the door slamming hasn...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Tammy B, General Manager at Comfort Inn Newport News/Williamsburg East, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Thank you for recommending Holiday Inn Express to others who visit Newport News. We enjoy your visits and cannot thank you enough for being our loyal guest. My team and I appreciate you mentioning our names in your review and hope you'll continue to visit us often. All the best!

Reviewed 5 April 2014

Mr Doug did an outstanding job with our check in. He very professional as we'll as friendly. There were several questions we had pertaining to the area and he was very helpful with that information. I will be staying here again!

Room Tip: Clean rooms and close to everything
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Tammy B, General Manager at Comfort Inn Newport News/Williamsburg East, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Thanks for 5-star review! I'm glad to hear you had a great visit and loved our clean rooms, location and service. I'll be sure to let Doug know how much you appreciated him going the extra mile for you. When you come back to the area, please be sure to stay with us again. Best wishes!

Reviewed 30 March 2014

The rooms were clean, staff friendly and helpful. Breakfast was great and Hazel your the best. She kept the food coming and it was good. Very helpful with any question we might have had. I would recommend Holiday Inn Express. One thing I would like to see happen is airport shuttle. It would be so helpful . I noticed some of the hotels did have the shuttle for their custoers.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Tammy B, General Manager at Comfort Inn Newport News/Williamsburg East, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

We greatly appreciate you choosing Holiday Inn Express for your visit to Newport News. Thank you for writing a lovely review of our property and for your compliments of our staff, clean rooms and Hazel at breakfast and giving us a suggestion for future improvements. Please give us a call soon to book your next stay. We'd love to see you again very soon.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

This is the second hotel I have tried in Newport News, and have yet to find a decent one. The rooms were ok, a bit dated, but not bad. But my room smelled like smoke. When I brought this to Tammy's attention she had an attitude, as if it was my imagination that the room smelled like smoke. If it wasn't for her attitutde, I would have probably returned. But it's ok, I would rather spend the night in my car. I will be looking for decent hotels in Newport News, hopefully I will find one.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank James T
Tammy B, General Manager at Comfort Inn Newport News/Williamsburg East, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Thank you for writing a review on TripAdvisor for our property. I sincerely apologize for offending you. Unfortunately, I do not recall this conversation. Would you please reach out to me. I would like an opportunity to apologize to you directly and set this right. We hold our guests in the highest regard and welcome opportunities to hear both positive and negative feedback. I am so sorry that we did not give your concern the attention it deserved. I hope to hear from you soon.