“Not worth it”

Comfort Inn Newport News/Williamsburg East
Ranked #13 of 40 Hotels in Newport News
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Staff was nice but room was a 0 star. Stayed in room 527 which is suppose to be non smoking and it reeked of cigarette smoke. Checked in around 9pm, went to room and once the door opened it was awful. Called down to front desk and no one answered. Gave up and spent the night. Breakfast was average. Tried using business desk computer and printer ran out of ink. Front desk person had no replacement. Place looks old and beat up. Very hard to find off the road so be careful. There's no visible signage.

Spend the extra bucks and stay somewhere nicer.

Room Tip: Watch out if you select a non smoking room. Try to stay away from main road.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank cimms4

Reviewed 16 July 2014

We arrived on a Thursday for a family event, planning to stretch it into a mini-vacation. Parking was easy and close by. We weren't offered assistance with the luggage, which to me was a positive thing. I like to carry my own, and a luggage cart was conveniently available.

My cousin had selected this hotel and arranged for a group rate. Various family members occupied at least six rooms. Check-in and check-out were a breeze. The location of the hotel, directly at an exit off Interstate 64, is extremely convenient.

The room was clean and nicely appointed with enough - but not too much - furniture. Mini fridge, microwave, flat screen TV, desk, chair, sofa, king bed, etc. The HVAC unit under the window was loud, but it did not keep us awake. Bedding was luxurious. A large shower in the bathroom was obviously an upgrade to replace an original tub, which was fine with us.

Soon we discovered that the timing of our visit was bad. There were three youth basketball teams staying at this hotel, at least one on the same floor as us. While they weren't rowdy, they were loud and seemed to be everywhere. It was a relief when they checked out on Saturday.

I will gripe about a few specifics, but let me set a baseline. I have had hundreds of hotel stays in my lifetime and almost every one has some problems. What distinguishes the best hotels is that they actively strive to correct problems with a sense of urgency.

The floor lamp in our room did not work, and I quickly discovered that there was no bulb in it. I needed it for reading so we reported the problem several times, even begging the front desk to just give me a new bulb. They said I'd have to wait for a guy from building maintenance. He finally showed up after many hours carrying TWO bulbs and was surprised we only needed one. Before the end of our stay two other bulbs in the bathroom burned out, but I decided to live with that. There were four other working bulbs in there, so we persevered.

The television - I think it was an LG - was physically as nice as what I own at home, and a DVD player was attached as well. Remote controls were provided for both units. There was no cable box but there was a hotel menu "layer" that appeared upon turning on the TV, and you had to work through it to get to whatever you wanted to view. I am no dummy when it comes to electronics, but I could not find a way to exit a screen once I had entered it. The screens said "press * to go back" but there was no such key on the remote. I pressed every button on the remote and nothing did that function. (There was no special cable remote, either.) The only workaround was to turn the TV off and start all over. I never got around to reporting the problem, but on Monday, our final day, I ran into the cable company guy on the elevator. He said "Oh, you must have one of the new units."

If you use the free WI-FI you will have to re-enter the hotel passcode every day. The passcode changes weekly on Saturday. The connection speed is only about 20Mbps with lengthy delays.

Our stay included free breakfast upon presenting coupons which we'd received at check-in. The buffet is pretty good with the exception of the mass-produced scrambled eggs and the petrified french toast sticks. If you aren't in a hurry you should order your breakfast fresh from the kitchen instead of eating the buffet. Coffee is served at your table, and you can order juice at no additional charge. If there is no meat on the buffet (which varies daily) you can order it from the kitchen at no additional charge. The sausage patties were very good.

We found the hotel staff extremely pleasant, and for the most part, good at their jobs. We had several dealings with housekeeping since we were coming an going at odd hours, and they were wonderful. I do recommend tipping daily rather than at the end of the stay as a general policy. We also tipped the waitstaff daily, even when eating from the buffet. It does not amount to a large expense compared to the hotel bill, and it is the right thing to do.

Throughout our stay the ice machines on floors 4 and 5 (our floor) were out of order. Those on 2 and 3 worked, so we adapted. We reported this situation to the front desk early and often, without any relief.

I almost forgot to mention that the indoor pool is a pressure cooker. They need to open the exterior sliders to remove some of the chlorine smell and humidity, or install some heavy-duty ventilation. We found the pool unusable.

A final couple of points: During our stay we saw several U.S. military guests of the hotel and that is a definite plus. They were polite, well-behaved, and a credit to our nation. Despite all the things I griped about, I would stay here again, BUT ONLY IF the television situation were fixed. Be sure to inquire about that before you book.

Room Tip: You need to be on the back side of the hotel away from Interstate 64.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sam S
Reviewed 13 July 2014

i would like Holiday Inn and your readers to know how well we were treated by the staff. I would especially like a " shout out " for Jose and Hazel! They could not have been more accommodating or friendly. They helped answer all of our questions and went beyond our expectations. Being helpful and friendly, they made us feel special and our vacation even more enjoyable. We will definitely stay there again when we are in the area. Thanks Jose, Hazel and Holiday Inn.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel based on its convenience to the surrounding area's attractions. The hotel staff was friendly and the free breakfast was great. The bed wasn't the most comfortable but the room was nice. There was plenty of parking and the hotel next doors shares amenities. The free internet wasn't too and either. I'd stay again if I found myself in the area.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Lovetoroadtrip82
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Positives - staff really friendly, good location, bed comfortable, shower powerful.
Negatives - decor old and in need of bringing into this century,
Had a good stay and will definatley staff next time I visit the area.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn Newport News/Williamsburg East, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear Woodfordl,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. We are pleased to see you enjoyed your time at the hotel, and look forward to serving you in the future.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

My daughter had a slumber party for her bday. Hotel was very nice, clean, and add a nice location. The rooms were small, but very clean, and up-to-date. The staff was awesome! The breakfast was also very delicious. We had awesome service from the time we walked in until check out. I was very impressed with the staffing and their willingness to satisfy their customers.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Matyzo
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I'm very pleased with the food preparations for continental breakfast Mrs. Gretta has preformed beyond the call of duty. keeping area very clean and etc.
address was 16890 Warwick Blvd. Suite B - Newport News, VA 23603 (757) 887-3300
Time and dates of staying June 04/June 05/ June 06/June 07/2014 My Name Bernard Robinson
and Sandra Gourdine- Robinson

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank kyrajoy2
Tammy B, General Manager at Comfort Inn Newport News/Williamsburg East, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

I greatly appreciate your 5-star review and your compliments about breakfast service and Greta. She will be so happy to hear that you said she took great care of you. Please visit us again soon.