“The Best Place To Be!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #25 of 38 Hotels in Newport News
New York
“The Best Place To Be!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2007

I travel 8 to 9 months of the year and I stay with Extended Stay America across the country because I stay for a week or more. This hotel has it all from excellent customer service to clean rooms. The staff really show that they care about you, I was having some issues finding my way around and the front desk lady I believe her name was Emoni helped me the entire time with what ever I needed. I also meet the Manager Mr. Callahan he is a very big asset to your company he was very professional and helpful also with all my needs. I will make sure I tell my company to stay with Extended Stay from now on.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
NJ
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2006

The amenities in the room are horrible. I stayed in the Extended Stay in Secaucus New Jersey,and it was fabulous. So I figured it was the same chain,and they would be just as good. Absolutely not. This hotel should close its doors. There was no toilet paper in the room,no coffee to go along with the coffe maker they give you. And they do not clean your room daily. We did not get fresh towels the next day,nor did we get clean sheets. The television did not work. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sunflower83
St. Louis
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2006

Family and friends traveled to VA for the AAU Track & Field Jr. Olympics and booked 6 rooms for a 7 day stay at Extended Stay - Chesapeak but due to renovations were moved to the Newport News location.

Check-in - Angela was very nice but had to change our rooms 3 different times before we found a clean one. That should have been the first clue for trouble ahead. Take plenty of disinfected and air freshener, the rooms smell stale and sour, the bathrooms aren't clean and beware of pet hair. Also make sure to check for clean beding as soon as you get in your room (that's a given).

They do not have house keeping unless you are staying over 7 days. So bring cleaning supplies to freshen up your room.

Getting towels is a BIG problem. They come few and far in-between if you can get any at all. We asked for extra towels but was told we had to get them in the morning. The next morning we asked for clean towels, still no towels. That afternoon about 3 o'clock after returning from a very hot outing, we asked for towels and was told that they didn't have any towels and it would be about 2 and 1/2 hours before some MIGHT be available. Denise told me that it wasn't her job to provide towels but to run the desk. Trying to be understanding about the situation I volunteered to wash some towels. Denise told me that I would have to use MY own money to pay for the towels to be washed. Now why would I pay them to wash their towels. It was very clear that the guess at this hotel was not the #1 priority so we checked out of the hotel about 1/2 hour later. We were able to get rooms about 7-10 minutes away at the Holiday Inn in Hampton Roads and it was the best move we could have made. It's across from the mall, has two pools, 1 indoors, 1 out, room service etc. and every resturant you can think of minutes away.

• Liked — Angela was very nice
  • Disliked — Denise had a very nasty attitude
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't pick this hotel
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Sofass
Coastal South Carolina, South Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2005

Priceline found this hotel for me and the location of the Extended Stay America was great! It's on a main strip in Newport News, VA with ample restaurant and shopping within a short distance. However I was not impressed; advantages to this hotel is it's location, relatively new (about 7 years old) and the exceptional staff. We experienced a number of problems and I found out things about the hotel only after I arrived. 1) No room service (unless something changes expect to retrieve your own fresh towels, empty your own trash bins and make your own bed), 2) Pets are allowed (I have no problems with pets but if they are staying in the hotel have the room's carpet cleaned upon their departure. Someone that is allergic to pets would have a real problem sleeping in a room that was not properly cleaned after a pet was there.) 3) ONLY single queen or twin double beds on the premises. 4) Don't expect a large television set to enjoy. 5) Bedding didn't fit. This was SOOO annoying! Every single night, several times, my husband would get up to put the sheet back on his side of the bed. I would have to wake up so that he could make his side. Low and behold, a few hours later, I would have to make my side of the bed and he would have to get up. This drove us nuts! Upon our check-in, staff (Dottie) was friendly and courteous however our room was another story. Each room has a fully equipped kitchen which was a plus for making quick breakfast and last night snacks. Our room was dirty, especially the bathroom. Hairs (of all type) from past guest were in the corners of the bathroom and in the bathtub. The bathroom floor was not clean and stained the back of the bathmat with dirt. I did not notify staff but purchased disinfectants to clean our room myself. We were there for 3 nights and I felt better doing it myself because I knew it would be right. Personally, I will not stay at this brand of hotel again. I was there for relaxation but ended up working harder than as if I was home.

6 Thank LisaM918