“Superb food and service”
Review of Fin Seafood

Fin Seafood
Reserve with OpenTable
Fin Seafood is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 461 Restaurants in Newport News
Price range: US$15 - US$50
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Fin features the finest local ingredients while utilizing organic and sustainable produce and proteins whenever possible. Chef Kenny Sloane has perfected the use of these seasonal ingredients to complement his refined yet robust menu.
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Last night was the second time my wife and I ate at Fin. How refreshing it was to have servers who really understood the food they were serving. The food was innovative, cooked to perfection and plated beautifully. We both ate two appetizers each and split a desert which provided ample sustenance. With a location around the corner from the Ferguson Center, it is a perfect preconcert dining spot.

Reviewed 21 September 2013

My wife and I recently returned to Fin for a 2nd helping. (See my previous review, "surprisingly good.") We bumped into a few friends who told us that the bartender, Katie, is the best. They were absolutely correct. Katie is friendly, fun and is a great mixologist. She certainly knows how to keep things moving in the bar. FIN has a small but excellent appetizer list. Some, like the scallops is a scaled down version and better value (which is unusual) than the full priced menu offerings. The drink and bar food prices are reasonable and of good value, if there is such a thing! After our drinks we went to the dining room where we were warmly greeted and promptly seated. For dinner, I ordered exactly what I had last time: the grilled Caesar salad and seared scallops. The grilled salad was not quite as good as last time and I believe that was because I was eating more of the outer romaine leaves which gave it sort of an old taste. My main course tasted salty and was disappointing. The scallops though tender in the inside did not have the professional sear. For $32.00 you get three scallops. If you order it as an appetizer you get 1 scallop for $5.00, which by the way was cooked perfectly... My wife ordered the crab cake. The crab cake itself was generously sized of a good sweet/rich flavor. However the dish was over sauced which took away from the nice flavor/texture of the crab cake. Overall, I rate the bar as 5 star and the dining room at 3 stars in terms of quality. Since I believe most people are interested in the food quality that is why I rated the food as average. The wait staff to a person is professional, attentive and well trained.

1  Thank snowbliss1
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I started our order with a Makers Mark Manhattan that was not only diminished in size but not properly made. Sent it back for a redo...the second try was correct. The service was very good the prices were fair. The menu and the food was not memorable. It may be rated as the best seafood restaurant but we will not recommend or refer. Sorry.

1  Thank Adrian J
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Fin is a breath of fresh air and well suited as we chose to dine outside either way Fin is a quiet venue and offers up delicious fare. With a variety of fresh ingredients, a large wine menu and selection of imported and IPA Beer, I was hooked (no pun intended). If you are looking for a great dining experience, celebrating a special occasion, or just need a relaxing night out, you will enjoy what Chef Kenny Sloan has cooked up.

Reviewed 10 September 2013

The atmosphere is very nice, the service was great, and the food, while small portions, was excellent. Unfortunately, the prices are not in line with what you get. I've spent more at other places, but got more in return.

Been to Fin Seafood? Share your experiences!