“Impressed and surprised”

Price range: US$25 - US$60
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole, French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Pearl 703 offers the Hampton Roads area flare and casual elegance with contemporary variations of Asian, Creole, and French cuisine. With an emphasis on farm to table initiative and organic, local and fresh ingredients sourced as much as possible from local farms as well as our own private farm.
Reviewed 11 August 2013

I picked this restaurant based on other reviews that I had seen - and was very impressed with the quality of the food. The surprised part is the fact that we were nearly the only ones in the restaurant. We did have dinner early, since we had a show to go to later, but I was still surprised that almost no one was there at 6pm. My wife and I went with another couple, and we split an escargot, and crab stuffed crepe appetizers, which were excellent, and the only criticism would be I could have used more of them. For dinner I had the lamb chops, my wife the pheasant in puff pastry, and our friends had the fish (grouper) and steak. Portion sizes were good, and each of us absolutely cleaned our plates and I would rate the food among the top 5 that I have had anywhere in Hampton Roads. Our service was excellent, but than again, we were almost the only customers there on a Saturday night! The restaurant itself, to include tables, chairs and décor was a bit less impressive, nothing bad, but just rather ordinary. As an added bonus they had very reasonable restaurant prices for bottles of wine - we actually got a bottle for the table that was only about $8 more than we can find it in the stores (conundrum). Overall I really enjoyed this restaurant and would hate to see it closed due to lack of customer support - so plan a date night and go enjoy some excellent food.

2  Thank Rick P

Reviewed 27 July 2013

This was my third visit to Pearl, first for dinner, and by myself. Scouting it out an hour before I planned to eat, I was greeted by Rob, the sous-chef, who asked my preferences. When I mentioned vegetarian, he asked if I'd like vegan - yes! So an hour later, I arrived to be treated like royalty. Shawn waited on me with careful attention, offered me tastings of two different wines for choosing. Rob previewed his meal plan for me, and then I was treated to fresh multi-grain bread with two flavored oils and a delicious fig balsamic vinegar. After a delightful small salad, I was served a medley of vegetables from asparagus to zucchini and much in between, on a bed of rice and red quinoa. All the vegetables were cooked perfectly -- tiny slices of bell peppers and carrots tender but crunchy. Rob had matched my spice level to a medium-hot flavoring, with a side of sliced avocado to cut the heat. Afterwards, I enjoyed a cappuccino and a perfect small scoop of chocolate sorbet. Rarely have I felt well cared for in a restaurant. I haven't eaten this sumptuously since my last trip to France. What a memorable dinner - can't wait for my visit!

1  Thank ArtTrekker
Reviewed 30 June 2013

We are repeat customers of this excellent restaurant, but wanted to take another couple who had not yet experienced true FINE DINING! We were so fortunate that the restaurant was not busy and the chef suggested that he do a "tasting menu" just for us. This was a dinner that no one will ever forget!!! From appetizers to dessert, each dish was absolutely fabulous. We were each served something different for each course so there was a lot of sharing going on - great fun!! We can't wait for the next celebration of anything to come here again!

2  Thank Nonnie6
Reviewed 29 May 2013

What a gem to find this restaurant. This french bistro doesn't dissapoint. Food is excellent. The chef chooses the menu daily.

We reccomend having the server choose a wine for you. We have never been disappointed.

This is our go to for a very nice date night.

Reviewed 18 April 2013

Just back from one of the most memorable dinners of my life. My friend and I met at Pearl (she's in Norfolk, I'm in Williamsburg and it's kind of midway). I'd been once before, she hadn't. So I knew the restaurant was beautiful and the food good. But we were in for a special treat. It was a quiet night and the waitress was busy with a large party, so the chef seated us and got us a glass of wine. Then he came back to explain the menu. Long story short, we told him to surprise us.

He started us with a lovely cheese/olive/fruit/nut tray, followed by a wonderful spinach salad with blackberries and strawberries. Next came seared scallops for my friend and asparagus/crab crepes for me. Each bite was better than the next. We had Chardonnay with the first courses, then he brought an amazing glass of Cab Sauv for my steak and a sauv blanc for my friend's seared flounder in an Asian type sauce with lots of veggies. To finish: three tiny chocolates and a small piece of strong blue cheese (we're not dessert people) with a small glass of port. Both he and the waitress waited on us. It was all perfect. Every. Single. Thing.

2  Thank medwriterdg