“Disappointing”

Price range: US$25 - US$60
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole, French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Pearl 703 offers the Hampton Roads area flare and casual elegance with contemporary variations of Asian, Creole, and French cuisine. With an emphasis on farm to table initiative and organic, local and fresh ingredients sourced as much as possible from local farms as well as our own private farm.
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Pearl had been highly recommended to us, so we were looking forward to our first visit. Unfortunately, the evening did not live up to the hype. We should have been tipped off immediately when we entered the main dining room. The atmosphere was uninviting, and the food that followed was just "okay". The portions were small and some of the food tasted reheated. Only two other tables were occupied, and that was on a night when it should have been filled with diners going to a nearby concert.

3  Thank Elena G

Reviewed 14 January 2014 via mobile

I had lunch here with friends to celebrate a birthday and catch up over some great food. Several of us got the steak special which was a tender/perfectly cooked sirloin with crispy potatoes, green beans, onions and mushrooms. It was only $12. There were several salads, 2 soups, multiple entrees, and sandwiches. For dessert there was creme brulee and flourless chocolate cake. I would definitely go again, we all had a hard time deciding what to order as there were many appetizing options.

1  Thank seethesightsUSA
Reviewed 20 December 2013

I can't say we were surprised, since Pearl has so many positive reviews, but I would like to say how much we enjoyed our evening. EXCELLENT service from our waitress, plus the chef/owner came out several times to be sure all was OK. When my wife had a few questions about how the special was prepared, the kitchen gladly tweaked the recipe. I say tweaked because, not only did they accommodate 'no onions, please' they added other ingredients to make the grouper-and-shrimp special even more delicious.

Others have complimented the wine list, and I will echo that. When they were out of a particular economical red, they cheerfully substituted a very well selected label at the same price. Delicious! (Chateau Haut-La Pereyre 2010 Bordeaux Superior)

If there is one criticism, it is the portion sizes, and this is only a small concern. I'm not even sure it qualifies as a concern, because it might not bother anyone else: I wouldn't mind paying a few dollars more for a larger portion of the main ingredient in the entree. But perhaps others might be well satisfied as things are. So, maybe just put this down as a comment, not a criticism.

All-in-all, Newport News is not known as a foodie town, but Pearl is worth the trip.

2  Thank Ken S
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Dined with a vendor (3 reps) and a colleague last evening. The five of us started with drinks in the bar. Nice space, extensive wine list with a little of everything by the glass or bottle. Glad to see a decent glass of wine available for $8. We were quickly seat and provided a menu, specials, including the local fish catch were highlighted. Salads were served quickly but not rushed, I ordered mine with pate. It was fresh and flavorful. Our drinks were never empty, but the service was not intrusive. Considering the restaurant is French, our portions for both salad and entree were more towards the American side. Not a bad thing on a cold night to ahve a little more to enjoy than expected. We all ordered something different, duck, salmon, tenderloin and short ribs. Very little was left behind on anyone's plate. We had not room for desert, but they sounded fantastic. Instead we ended the night with one of the best coffees I have had in Newport News. A great period at the end of a lovely meal.

3  Thank Breezy_in_Virginia
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Tripadvisor never lets me down. Once again, I find a top notch restaurant when I am traveling. I hail from Charleston S.C., home of fabulous restaurants and Pearl belongs right there with them. We met Chef Korkmaz and If I lived in one of those tony houses on Museum drive, I would just move him and his server Regina right in with me. We had the crabcake, escargots, grouper and the lamb. It was magnificent. Even this fabulous light lemon mouse creation and cream brulee for desert. Everything was fresh, fabulous and if this place were in Charleston, we would be here every week. It was Monday night and the diners were in there, you probably better call ahead for Friday or Saturday night! Full bar, fine wines, smiles, outstanding service. What more can I say? We stayed at the Marriot and I think of those poor conference attendees eating at one of the chain restaurants and not taking advantage of this jewel. I like to review restaurants and since we will be staying in Richmond tomorrow night decided to check out the listings there. Well, some donut shop is the top restaurant??? You people just go to Newport News and go to the Pearl French Bistro it is worth the drive for you.

3  Thank tinalovesthekeys