“Awesome - would like to visit again.”

Virginia War Museum
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Awesome - would like to visit again.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

Particularly liked the WW2 exhibit. A lot to see and read about. A nice size. Check out the kid's camps online. Outstanding! Finally, don't miss the stuff outside.

Visited August 2014

Decatur, IL, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“War Museum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

Our visit to the Virginia War Museum was very educational & amazing. We learned a lot of what happened during the wars around the world since World War I. Lot of artifacts were there from all the wars to give you a better understanding of really went on in the war. It's sad, because this is history and it's fact based material.

Visited August 2014
Syracuse
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Great collection of weapons, probably not for kids.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

A large and well-displayed collection of small arms and uniforms -- US and enemies. Nice to see WWII displays for Italy, Hungary, Rumania, etc. and not just U.S. & Germany.

Quite a few artillery pieces including a Gatling gun and a WWII "88" in all its sinister glory -- there are more artillery pieces outside. And inside are two tanks, a Stuart from WWII and an even smaller WWI "special tractor" tank, nicely restored.

The sheer number of light weapons, from flintlocks to assault rifles, can be a bit overwhelming, but everything had good descriptions and was well-organized. There was no audio-video elements, that I recall, so after seeing the tanks & artillery, kids may tire of this fairly soon - - I wouldn't plan on more than an hour.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank UpstateLoyalist
Cambridge, Canada
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Interesting look at Virginia in War”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

While visiting my parents, we decided to visit the Virginia War Museum with my parents and kids. My youngest, who is 6, repeatedly told us that history is boring. Then again, she is 6 and doesn't really understand all of what she saw. My mom, who served in the Navy in the late 1960s, was a little disappointed at the lack of displays about the women who served. She also asked my dad (who served in the Army and Army Reserves from the late 1960s-early 2000s) how many tanks can one person really look at? My dad and my 12 year old son LOVED the museum. I thought my son was going to wet himself with all the items outside of the building. My husband enjoyed the propaganda art, and myself-I enjoyed how in-depth the information was about the Civil War as we had at least 6 different ancestors fight (some even in the Hampton Roads area).

Visited July 2014
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“This is a "Must See" Museum!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

If you're in the Richmond area this is a wonderful museum! Perfectly laid out it gives honor to all of Virginia's veterans, in every war. The WWII Video is very nicely done. And the museum staff are very knowledgeable. Plan on spending 2-3 hours taking a stroll through the museum and the grounds. Admission was free, and they have a donation box. Their gift shop is reasonably priced.

Visited April 2014