“Pleasant Surprise”

Ranked #5 of 38 Hotels in Newport News
Fredericksburg, Virginia
“Pleasant Surprise”
Reviewed 8 May 2013

I book this hotel out of desperation. It was the only place close to a conference I was attending. I arrived late and was greeted by the most wonderful clerk who had my reservation out and waiting. In no time I was getting directions to my room and keys. The room was clean and very comfy. I loved the large walk in shower instead of a tub. The breakfast in the hotel restaurant was delicious and staff was very attentive.

I was very pleasantly surprise at this hotel. Would return again!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Loni C, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Newport News, responded to this review, 13 May 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review and for staying with us at Holiday Inn Newport News. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our breakfast and staff. Thank you for your business and thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you in Newport News again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Lincolnton
Reviewed 8 April 2013

The room was roomy, beds nice, pillows soft and the towels were amazingly fluffy. (Clean but without reeking of bleach and stiffness.) Loved the real bathmat that didn't slide all over the tile. Water pressure great. If I had to find a complaint, it would only be that there wasn't a freezer in our in-room fridge and that the entrance was a bit confusing - we nearly got back on I-64! Lots of nice restaurants nearby. (And shopping - but my husband wouldn't take me, teehee!)

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Loni C, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Newport News, responded to this review, 17 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review and for staying with us at Holiday Inn Newport News. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our bathroom amenities and pillows! Thank you for your business and thank you again for your review! We look forward to seeing you again soon in Newport News!
maryland
Reviewed 28 March 2013 via mobile

I stayed for a conference I attended at the Marriott oyster point. It was about give mins away. The hotel is right off rt 64. Very close stores and restaurants. I booked on Priceline secret hotel and it was $40 a night.

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review and for staying with us at Holiday Inn Newport News. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay! Thank you for your business and thank you again for your review! We look forward to seeing you again soon in Newport News!
Reviewed 19 March 2013 via mobile

I checked into the hotel without issues, but after the first night I found multiple small bugs on the bed that luckily I had not been sleeping in (there were two beds in my room). After finding these bugs, I took some pictures of them and searched them on google to find out what they were. They were bed bugs. I counted seven different bed bugs throughout the mattress and coming out from behind the headboard. When I contacted the front desk to let them know they quickly moved me to another room. Typically when I have been inconvenienced by a hotel and they move your room they offer to help you move your luggage, but that is not why I am complaining. The next morning I am awoken by a phone call at 8am from the general manager of the hotel, telling me the rooms are newly re done and this shouldnt have happened and there was an exterminator coming that same day to take care of the problem. The reason I am writing is because instead of offering to make this right, the gm only called and woke me up to tell me it shouldnt have happened as the rooms are new. Now i am stuck having to wash all of my clothes while on the road, which is not cheap or convenient. Thanks a lot Newport News Holiday Inn, i hope i can clean all of my stuff well enough that I dont bring any of your nasty bugs home with me.

11 Thank Campman612
Loni C, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Newport News, responded to this review, 25 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review and for staying with us at Holiday Inn Newport News. We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay. As we mentioned when you stayed with us, there were no signs of bed bugs in your room. We had exterminators come out to the hotel while you were still on property and they confirmed that there were no bed bugs in your room or our hotel. The pictures that you have uploaded with your review are not of our hotel. We do not have that bedding in our rooms. I have contacted Trip Advisor in hopes that this review be removed as it is false. We are sorry again that you did not enjoy your stay. Thank you for your business.
Durango
Reviewed 18 March 2013 via mobile

I've had a very pleasant stay here. Upon arrival, we were greeted promptly and were allowed to check in early, as soon as they had rooms available. The manager was very cordial to us. I would stay here again, the rooms are clean and quiet.

• Stayed March 2013
Loni C, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Newport News, responded to this review, 26 March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review and for staying with us at Holiday Inn & Suites Newport News. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay! We look forward to seeing you again soon next time you are in the area! Thank you for your business and thank you again for your review.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 4 March 2013

Just a fantastic value. Great staff. Clean, upgraded property. Had to switch around my dates and they were very easy to work with. Restaurant on site. But went to Waffle House across the street. Would highly recommend!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Loni C, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Newport News, responded to this review, 18 March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review and for staying with us at Holiday Inn & Suites Newport News. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for your business and thank you again for your review! We look forward to seeing you again in Newport News soon!
Conway, South Carolina
Reviewed 25 February 2013

We spent one night there when we couldn't get to Virginia Beach because all the tunnels and bridges were closed. The staff was wonderful and extremely helpful in helping us - we were lost, tired and angry at VaDOT. The room was very nice and clean. I would highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review and for staying with us at Holiday Inn & Suites Newport News. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that our hotel team was able to help you when the tunnels and bridges were closed. Thank you for your business and thank you again for your review! We look forward to seeing you again in Newport News soon!