“Authentic Latin American food”
Review of La Pena Horeb

La Pena Horeb
Ranked #29 of 454 Restaurants in Newport News
Cuisines: Caribbean, Latin, Puerto Rican, Spanish
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Poquoson, Virginia
“Authentic Latin American food”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

As a relocated New Yorker in VA I was sorely missing Pasteles over the christmas holidays. A friend suggested La Pena Horib. The food was so awesome I couldn't stop eating. Bought frozen Pasteles to take home and cook later. Pasteles take 45 minutes so call ahead to get them started if you are in a hurry. The pork was amazing rice and gondulez wonderful...and they had tostones!!! The best meal I've had in a very long time...everything was authentic made from scratch ...the cuban sandwich my sister ordered was the best she's ever had.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Lora V

“Love their food as always ”
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

LOVE this place it's always a pleasure to eat here really good food. Had flank steak rice & gandaules with a side of beans to pour on top!

Hampton, Virginia
“Happy for an option in Newport News”
Reviewed 21 March 2014

We struggle in this area for great Hispanic food. I love love love a good Puerto Rican or Cuban meal. Unfortunately we just dont have it on this side of the water. This is the best option if not the only option in Hampton or Newport News. The food is not bad, but more a fusion of Hispanic flavors.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank nubianredz
Newport News, Virginia
“How Did This Place Get Rated #1 Restaurant in Newport News?”
Reviewed 11 January 2014

We just got home from dinner at La Pena Horeb. We're locals, but had never heard of this restaurant. Saw it was rated #1 in Tripadvisor and decided to give them a try. I could not recommend that locals or tourists visit. First, the area where the restaurant is located is "sketchy" at best. That aside, inside, there is no ambiance inside or out (restaurant is located on the corner of a new strip mall and interior is one large room with tables/chairs and a screen separating the rest rooms from the dining area. Drink service and check-out is right beside the tables.) Family (kids) of the owners sit at two tables in the back and watch you eat. No alcohol. One "shining star" is that service. It was very good. (We knew the waitress from another area restaurant.) Biggest disappointment, though, was the food. It was poor. For appetizers we tried Alcapurrias (plantain stuffed with ground beef and deep fried) and chicken empanada (maybe a tablespoon of shredded chicken with cilantro) and deep fried. Cost $2.00 each. Flavorless, fried dough with some meat inside would be the best description for the empanada. Alcapurrias equally bad...just stuffed in a fried plantain, instead of doughy empanada. For my entree, I had Al Pastor (marinated pork) tacos with cilantro, onions and a side of lime and salsa. The homemade tortillas were the best thing we had...very nice corn flavor. However, the pork was tough and bland. Again, I would say flavorless. Even the cilantro and plain cut up onions could not save the dish. The salsa was the hottest thing I have ever eaten. Glad I didn't just pour it on the tacos. I did squeeze the lime wedges on the pork mixture and then at least it tasted like lime. Cost: $7.50. My husband had Pernil (roasted pork) with rice and guandules with salad (Cost $8.49) for his meal. Pork was shredded and fatty and no flavor. Big glob of rice and mashed pinto beans in the middle of the plate and typical iceberg lettuce with a slice of tomato (that's the salad). He was disappointed as well. Total cost of the meal (minus tip) was $23; so it is inexpensive.

Would love to support a hometown establishment (especially one that is family owned and operated), but in good conscience, I cannot recommend visitors or locals try La Pena Horeb.

• Visited January 2014
5 Thank virginian9
Yorktown, Virginia
“Caribbean Fare”
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Stopped here with my wife Wednesday night for dinner. The restaurant is not fancy and has no alcohol. I had chicken mofongo and my wife had steak fajita. Mine was quite good, well seasoned and generous portions including typical lettuce and tomato salad. My wife did not care as much for the fajita. We both had flan for dessert which we agreed was good.

• Visited December 2013