“Would dine there again”

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Smithfield, VA
“Would dine there again”
Reviewed 26 February 2014

We had a 7:00 PM reservation on Valentines night. I emailed the manager in advance to sniff out parking suggestions, not being familiar with the area. He quickly replied with some good ideas, but it turns out the other couple had an idea that worked too. When we arrived, there was quite a line. But many of them did not have reservations and we were seated within 10 minutes, having arrived 5 minutes early, I had no complaint.

Wow, the place was loud. I compare it to Espeto Na Brasa (now closed) in Norfolk, and the din was incomparable. But the staff was helpful, despite the busy night.

I found the salad bar to not be as good as I recalled the Espeto had been. But I was pleased by the soup selection, especially the crab bisque. Had quite a zip to it. The salads were decent, but I am trying to minimize carbs, and many of their salads contained significant pasta. Nonetheless, I got what I wanted, and enjoyed it all.

I found the meat selections to be plentiful, partly because there was a Valentines special with some extra items for a few bucks more. The price at Tucanos was less than I recall paying at Espeto, quite a bit less. We tried almost every meat selection. The portions were smaller than I am used to, but the carvers made frequent rounds and we got all we wanted to eat. Expect that most meats will be cooked medium to medium well. The only medium rare meat I recall was the ribeye that was a part of the Valentines special menu.

We were too full for dessert, but all received a Valentines chocolate truffle that was out of this world!

My advice ... dine early ... make a reservation ... or expect to wait. Indications are that this is a go-to place.

• Visited February 2014

Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Fun place for a group”
Reviewed 24 February 2014

We brought a large group and had a fabulous time. There are so many choices on the salad bar and the skewer offerings that everyone could get exactly what they wanted. Scott and his team are great.

• Visited February 2014
Hampton, Virginia
“Great Place For A Lunch Party”
Reviewed 24 January 2014

We had an office party for about 35 people. Had a very nice private room with great service from Kayla. The all you can eat lunch was $14.95 plus tax The salad bar (festival) was fantastic. A very wide selection of fruits, vegetables, beans, rice, pasta, some sushi, crab salad,etc. The main meal items were on skewers the servers brought in to the tables. The beef, chicken, turkey, whitefish, grilled pineapple and vegetables just kept on coming. All very good. Will definitely come back.

• Visited January 2014
USA
“NEVER seated!”
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We had 7:30 reservations on Sat., Jan 18th. We knew we in trouble when there were 75-100 people waiting, but decided to stay. At about 7:45, a couple people standing near me both told me that they had 7:00 reservations. At about 8:10, we asked an employee to please check the list and she informed us that we were still WAY down the list. At that point we left. I realize that reservations do not guarantee a table at that exact time, but this was more than ridiculous. Either they very much overbook, or seat walk-ins before reservations. In either event....Never, never again.

• Visited January 2014
Hilton Head, South Carolina
“not worth it ........”
Reviewed 12 January 2014

went last year for new years eve and it was pretty good. this year was quite a disappointment. cost too much, food not as good, charged for wrong drinks, dessert was bitesize, too loud, too busy. if you like your meat cooked well done, you will go hungry. I will not go back.

• Visited December 2013