“A lot of , "a little bit of everything"!”

Tucanos Brazilian Grill
Ranked #28 of 453 Restaurants in Newport News
Cuisines: Brazilian, South American
Good for: Groups, Kids, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Bethany Beach, Delaware
“A lot of , "a little bit of everything"!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

Reservations were made four days prior to the date, for 7:30 on a Saturday night. Please realize as this venue is all you can eat, so even ireservations are made in advance, there may be a wait. We waited about 10 minutes after being advised our table would be ready in 30-40 minutes.
The salad bar has over 100 selections, everything from ordinary salads, fresh fruits, pasta and vegetable salads, meats and cheeses. All looked fresh and well stocked even though the restaurant was full.
A skeweer of shrimp was ordered at $4 to accompany me meal. The shrimp were nice sized, but rather bland. ALL of the meats were very tasty, from sirlion, chicken and pork. Fish is also brought around. One fish is breaded with a mango flavoring, another was grilled catfish. Grilled pineapple is really sweet. The server keep on offering as long as you are hunrgy.

The service was fine, although when one of the servers asked me if I wanted another sample of anything in particular, it never came.

Dont' look for conversation in an intimate setting as the venue tends to be on the loud side.

Would go again and eat just what I liked and not try what I didn't.

• Visited March 2014

Smithfield, VA
“Would dine there again”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

We had a 7:00 PM reservation on Valentines night. I emailed the manager in advance to sniff out parking suggestions, not being familiar with the area. He quickly replied with some good ideas, but it turns out the other couple had an idea that worked too. When we arrived, there was quite a line. But many of them did not have reservations and we were seated within 10 minutes, having arrived 5 minutes early, I had no complaint.

Wow, the place was loud. I compare it to Espeto Na Brasa (now closed) in Norfolk, and the din was incomparable. But the staff was helpful, despite the busy night.

I found the salad bar to not be as good as I recalled the Espeto had been. But I was pleased by the soup selection, especially the crab bisque. Had quite a zip to it. The salads were decent, but I am trying to minimize carbs, and many of their salads contained significant pasta. Nonetheless, I got what I wanted, and enjoyed it all.

I found the meat selections to be plentiful, partly because there was a Valentines special with some extra items for a few bucks more. The price at Tucanos was less than I recall paying at Espeto, quite a bit less. We tried almost every meat selection. The portions were smaller than I am used to, but the carvers made frequent rounds and we got all we wanted to eat. Expect that most meats will be cooked medium to medium well. The only medium rare meat I recall was the ribeye that was a part of the Valentines special menu.

We were too full for dessert, but all received a Valentines chocolate truffle that was out of this world!

My advice ... dine early ... make a reservation ... or expect to wait. Indications are that this is a go-to place.

• Visited February 2014
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Fun place for a group”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

We brought a large group and had a fabulous time. There are so many choices on the salad bar and the skewer offerings that everyone could get exactly what they wanted. Scott and his team are great.

• Visited February 2014
Hampton, Virginia
“Great Place For A Lunch Party”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014

We had an office party for about 35 people. Had a very nice private room with great service from Kayla. The all you can eat lunch was $14.95 plus tax The salad bar (festival) was fantastic. A very wide selection of fruits, vegetables, beans, rice, pasta, some sushi, crab salad,etc. The main meal items were on skewers the servers brought in to the tables. The beef, chicken, turkey, whitefish, grilled pineapple and vegetables just kept on coming. All very good. Will definitely come back.

• Visited January 2014
USA
“NEVER seated!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

We had 7:30 reservations on Sat., Jan 18th. We knew we in trouble when there were 75-100 people waiting, but decided to stay. At about 7:45, a couple people standing near me both told me that they had 7:00 reservations. At about 8:10, we asked an employee to please check the list and she informed us that we were still WAY down the list. At that point we left. I realize that reservations do not guarantee a table at that exact time, but this was more than ridiculous. Either they very much overbook, or seat walk-ins before reservations. In either event....Never, never again.

• Visited January 2014