“Enjoyed my stay”

and 1 more site!
Magnuson Hotel & Convention Center at Oyster Point
Ranked #29 of 40 Hotels in Newport News
Reviewed 6 July 2013

I got this hotel through a booking website and got a very cheap price, so I wasn't expecting much. I was pleasantly surprised! Although I didn't use the pool, it looked very inviting. It was obvious that the rooms could use a little renovation, but everything worked and was kept very clean for me. I stayed 4 nights, so if anything were going to go wrong, it should have, right? I was right next to the elevator, and even that didn't bother me during the night. Very nice stay. There were only two things I could have wished were better. I wanted to use the "business center" (two computers with a printer) but there was water on the floor. They had it taken care of right after I reported it, but kind of scary around electrical things, so I didn't use it. Also, they have a restaurant inside the hotel, but no "continental breakfast." Still, for the price, what could I expect? I did not try the restaurant. Also, I don't know where other reviewers were staying, but my front desk clerks were very courteous and helpful and said "Good morning" to me every day. Of course, I was friendly to them - could that be the difference? I would recommend this hotel to anyone as long as they didn't have to pay full price. It's not the place it obviously could be. Also, it looks like it could be great for conventions. It appears to have lots of meeting rooms on the ground floor.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 17 June 2013

We've stayed at this hotel numerous times before when it was the Omni. We have family in the area and this hotel, while outdated, had still been well-maintained. So, we chose it again even though the hotel is now owned by Magnuson. Now, it is still outdated but no longer maintained. First change I notice is the addition of the night club. After visiting with family, we got to the hotel around midnight on a Saturday. The parking lot was packed and it was hard to find a space anywhere near the enterance, the music was very loud, and the nightclub's guests were overflowing into the lobby. This made my family very uncomfortable when walking into and through the hotel.

In the room- 1: The A/C was not running properly. While cold air did occasionally come out, it was low and would only stay on for a minute or two (despite the temperature being set on the lowest setting). It made sleeping very uncomfortable. My husband eventually chose to pull out the sofa bed located right next to the A/C unit...just so he could feel what little cool air there was. 2: The condition of the room was bad. The base boards around the air conditioner had been pulled apart and were just laying in pieces. There were stains on the walls and the wallpaper was torn/peeling. We did not talk to the front desk about these issues at the time because it was very late and we were only staying one night

I would have informed the hotel staff of these issues when I checked out the next day but I wasn't asked how my stay was. I guess they don't care- and I think that sums up their mentality and their standards in a nutshell.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank mrsjsd
Reviewed 16 June 2013

This hotel (formerly the Omni at Oyster Point) used to be the epitome of service and style. I would not recommend this establishment unless you are willing to sacrifice excellent customer service just for cheap pricing.

The front desk staff had a real knack for making you feel unwanted and appreciated.You might say they acted like they were doing you a favor!

The facility was not the cleanest nor was it very secure. The parking lot was dark and sketchy looking.

Trash was strewn about in the parking lot and obviously lacking any attention since I passed the same trash in the parking lot for a couple of days.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank acroberts
Reviewed 9 June 2013

I got the exact room I wanted, customer service was excellent. Shower leaked into the room, made the carpets wet and I'm pretty sure it's been going on for awhile. I had an allergy attack probably from mold. Told them about it, they were on the phone with maintenance immediately. Old style, may need a few updates. Decent for the price. Recommend.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 16 May 2013

Stayed for 2 nights at $50 per night so I must preface this by saying it was a good buy. This hotel is strange to say the least. It is out of place here and must have been quite grand at one time. It is near empty so it must be having problems. When we checked in the water was off, however that was fixed. The rooms are a bit worn but pleasant with HDTV flat screens. The shower curtain was coming out of the wall and the temperature control in the shower was bizarre. It is well located and the service was friendly. A cavernous reception area but really strange with no guests in sight. I would probably stay here again at that price.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Latta
Reviewed 15 May 2013

Excellent hotel, well managed and modern. The rooms are first rate and so is the ambiance. We got our room for $50. I have no idea why it was so cheap... perhaps because there were no conventions going on at the time, but this is a 4 star hotel in my opinion!

It's worth staying here and driving down to Virginia Beach to spend the day. You save a FORTUNE!

Room Tip: Go to the consolidators to book this one, the prices there were 1/2 what the hotel was offering on i...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 May 2013

This hotel is located in a very private location. It was formerly the Omni Hotel Newport News. It is conveniently located off I-64. The location is central to the area being approximately 40mins from Williamsburg Va. and 45mins from Va beach. Traffic and time of year visiting the area may cause greater commute times. This was one of the few 4star hotels in the area. My most recent visit was the first since the hotel has changed owners. It seemed that there was some repairs or maintenance going on but i didn't notice any major upgrades to the amenities or decor of the hotel. In the past that would have been the only complaint about this property, the decor was outdated. If you are a light sleeper ask for a room that doesnt overlook the highway, as those rooms can be a little noisier than rooms on the opposite side of the building. It remains to be seen if the new owners will maintain the same level of service as the former management. My most recent stay was pleasant. the only problem I had was, I called down to the front desk to have my room cleaned late in the morning just prior to the cutoff for housekeeping service, and the gentleman at the front desk was a little abrupt informing me what time housekeeping finishes making their rounds. So It appears the level of service has dropped a bit, but still average for this price range. I did get a great rate and it was substatially less expensive than the former Omni rates. I don't expect the rate sale to last as more people learn about this property being under new management, change of name, etc.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo