“Updating aging hotel”

Ranked #30 of 38 Hotels in Newport News
Gaithersburg, Maryland, United States
“Updating aging hotel”
Reviewed 13 August 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel during a trip to Yorktown/Newport News/Portsmouth last weekend. The hotel at one time was a VERY NICE hotel and probably upscale. It was recently bought by a new owner that is trying to quickly improve the hotel. The lobby is quite dated but very large. They have several ballrooms & meeting rooms. All are in need of attention. The hotel desk area needs Lots of attention, but the service was really quite nice. It was not an expensive hotel now, but ONCE it may have been considered pricy.

Our room while small was very nice and VERY CLEAN and completely updated. The bed was very comfortable (King), it also had a small sofa seating area and the bathroom was nice and clean. I wasn't happy to learn that if you have a room on the 6th floor that you are limited to what you can see on the cable TV. The room had a new LARGE flat screen, but I couldn't watch my favorite programming. But I could have watched all my favorite programming if I was on the 1st-5th floor. Apparently, they have not updated the TVs on these floors and they still use the boxes. There was NO room service.

We tried the restaurant in the hotel for breakfast only ONE of the days we stayed there. I would not really recommend this restaurant. I noticed that the stairs leading down to the entry from the hotel lobby seems very dirty and in need of vacuuming at the least. The service was not that great either.

The price was not expensive so it was an OKAY stay. They are in the process of painting, cleaning remodeling and not finished. If the new owner doesn't run out of money this could be
a nice hotel again.

Room Tip: Room on the 6th-8th floor have been updated, but TV cable service is somewhat limited. Rooms on low...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Judith P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Herndon, VA
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Although my husband found the front desk staff to be less than helpful, he was fine with our room and the hotel overall. He was very appreciative of the self serve laundry, since our son was in a baseball showcase and it was a hot weekend. I, on the other hand, think that there are plenty of other hotels/conference centers in this metropolitan area that I'll try next time. It seemed run down and tired.

Let me be clear, the front desk staff was not unfriendly, but just didn't seem to have a lot of interest in helping people with various little issues/questions.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Herndon, Virginia
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Compared to other hotels in the area for the price, this is a good deal but don't let the photos fool you. This used to be the Omni and I think they kept the furniture and photos. The condition of my room was becoming rundown with peeled wallpaper, dust build up in the corners including on the chair rail, and new plugs installed on the desk which turn off with the wall switch. I had a king room with a fold-out couch (the room description didn't mention the couch), the bed was comfortable and the bathroom was clean. The room also had a refrigerator, coffee maker and fast free internet. Free breakfast is not included but there is a restaurant on site that I didn't try. If the hotel was more expensive (I paid about $70), it wouldn't be worth it, but for the price in its current condition it's worth it. They need to invest in room upkeep soon and a change in carpet design, especially the hallways, is a good idea.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank rameyfamily
Waldorf, Maryland
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I stayed at this hotel when it was the Omni, This is a very nice place to stay and eat. The rooms are very nice and clean. The Green house restaurant has some of the best cooks serving some good food. The staff is very professional. The cost is right for this hotel.

Allen M

Room Tip: I was on the 7 floor and it was nice
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Allen M
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Stayed at the Magnuson Hotel and Convention Center this week with 3 co-workers. I recommended the hotel because I have stayed here in the past when it was the Omni. What a disappointment!!!! We would of changed hotels if they were not all booked because of a softball tournament going on that week. From the time you walked in everyday we complained about the horrible smell in the lobby. We called it the smelly hotel. When I checked in there was dirty wash clothes in my bathtub. There was no air conditioning in the hallways and the lobby. It STUNK! The hotel restaurant was supposed to open at 6:30 AM but 4 days in a row they were still closed at 7:30 AM. In Fact, the cook said he would cook us breakfast if we paid him cash since there was no server yet. Funny since our company rate included breakfast. In my room, there was wallpaper peeling off the wall. Over my bed the popcorn ceiling was falling down. The mirror had fallen in the room and they just leaned it against the wall and never repaired it. When I complained to the front desk they said the former owner had let the property go into disrepair. The sink in the bathroom did not drain. Trust me, if I could find another hotel we would of moved. There is a reason this place is so cheap!. I have contacted our Corporate Procurement folks to remove this hotel from our preferred list.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Joe M
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 25 July 2013

After reviewing a few negative reviews I was hesitant about staying. I thought the Hotel was more than what I was expecting for the price. If you want the Hyatt quality you should pay the Hyatt price. The only upgrade they need to do is the carpet. The Hotel has a younger generation atmosphere.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Fred54171
Port Richey, Florida, United States
Reviewed 6 July 2013

I got this hotel through a booking website and got a very cheap price, so I wasn't expecting much. I was pleasantly surprised! Although I didn't use the pool, it looked very inviting. It was obvious that the rooms could use a little renovation, but everything worked and was kept very clean for me. I stayed 4 nights, so if anything were going to go wrong, it should have, right? I was right next to the elevator, and even that didn't bother me during the night. Very nice stay. There were only two things I could have wished were better. I wanted to use the "business center" (two computers with a printer) but there was water on the floor. They had it taken care of right after I reported it, but kind of scary around electrical things, so I didn't use it. Also, they have a restaurant inside the hotel, but no "continental breakfast." Still, for the price, what could I expect? I did not try the restaurant. Also, I don't know where other reviewers were staying, but my front desk clerks were very courteous and helpful and said "Good morning" to me every day. Of course, I was friendly to them - could that be the difference? I would recommend this hotel to anyone as long as they didn't have to pay full price. It's not the place it obviously could be. Also, it looks like it could be great for conventions. It appears to have lots of meeting rooms on the ground floor.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo