“Run don't walk away from this hotel”

and 1 more site!
Magnuson Hotel & Convention Center at Oyster Point
Ranked #29 of 40 Hotels in Newport News
Reviewed 18 August 2014

My husband and I were celebrating our 10th year wedding anniversary and decided to splurge on a suite at this hotel. We were told to come in anytime because our suite was available whenever we were. We got there less than 2 hours later and they had given our suite away and suggested we wait in their restaurant the 30 minutes that it would take to clean the other suite. At the restaurant I asked my husband to turn the table cloth around because there was food on it. Some dried and some newer looking. The waitress was standing there and didn't offer to get another table cloth or move us to another table. We thought maybe someone had just eaten there but looking at the other tables we saw that none of the table cloths were washed. They were crumbled and also had food on them. Even though no one else was in the restaurant it took us 20 minutes to get our food (a panini and cole slaw and crab cake sandwich and salad). After spending $40 for those items, 1 beer and 1 glass of tea we went to pick up our key. The front desk clerk told us he forgot about us and called up to the suite to find out how much longer. I noticed that there were food particles (popcorn or chip pieces) on the carpet opposite the check in desk. Again, we thought maybe they just hadn't vacuumed that area yet but when we got to the fourth floor we saw more debris on the floor and the baseboards were stained like they hadn't been wiped down in some time. We wanted to go swimming but when we walked down to the pool area the water was dark and murky and not something we wanted to submerge ourselves in. The hot tub was out of order. The suite left a lot to be desired also and there was a lot of something looking like mold under the faucets in the tub, there was no towel rack and no dresser, only a console that the TV was over. Since it was our anniversary we had some candles and incense going. First someone was knocking on our door, which we ignored and then the front desk called but they hung up before we could get to the phone which was on the other side of the room instead of next to the bed. When we did talk to them they said they had to come up to the room to investigate because they had gotten complaints about the smell. We get out of bed and wait for them to come up. After making us wait about 15 minutes they showed up but did not identify themselves so I can only assume it was the owner and manager or security guard. There was a random lady with them that might have been housekeeping but I’m not sure because no one introduced themselves. They were very rude and accusatory and said that incense was not allowed but candles were. I did not see anything anywhere stating that. I didn't see it on the paperwork that I signed when we checked in but I didn't get a copy of it so I’m not exactly sure what was on it. We were there about 3 hours and had problem after problem. They ruined our mood and good feeling about this hotel so we asked for a refund which we were promptly denied. My husband said that we’ll just write a review about this service and the manager/ security guy said, rather threateningly, that then they would just have to put us out now. We were so annoyed we just left. We spent $200 to get a suite at this hotel and ended up leaving because their rude staff and dirty conditions made it unenjoyable to stay. We went to the Days Inn in Newport News, got a much cheaper room and had a much better time. They had an outdoor pool that was clean and inviting and the staff was very friendly. I wish we had just gone there first. It goes to show that money can’t buy class.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel for a "good" room.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Dena B
Kimberly W, Director of Sales at Magnuson Hotel & Convention Center at Oyster Point, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay with us. Guest satisfaction is important to us and we try our hardest to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel.

We are so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us and regret the issues you encountered. As our success is measured by how our guests evaluate our services and facilities, we want you to know that the feedback we receive are taken seriously. We have taken note of your comments and have shared these with our management team to review and make necessary improvements to ensure guests do not experience this in the future.

While we understand that your stay was less than satisfactory, we hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

My daughter and I were visiting Newport News for a tour of Christopher Newport University. I booked the room through Priceline and won't make that mistake again. The hotel wasn't bad but it had a very odd setup. The decor is outdated and there was an odd, musty smell in the lobby. The pool is downstairs but you can see down into it from the lobby...strange. We tried to use the "business center" which consisted of 3 cubbies hidden behind a tall wooden partition. None of the computers or printers were plugged in or operating. The first room they gave us was full of carpet cleaning equipment. The second room had the door propped open with a trashcan. The room was clean and the bed very comfortable. The location was very good and there were a lot of restaurants nearby. Not a bad experience but we probably won't go back.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

We are sorry to hear that you were not totally satisfied with your stay. We welcome the opportunity for you to come back.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

My family and I have stayed here several times over many times since my husband travels done there for work he would take us with him in the weekends. The way we found this place was because my job got a discount with them. Our first visit was nice the stag was very helpful the room was very nice although the workout area was very disappointing not even half if the equipment in there worked. When we went back for our next stay I was told they no longer face our company a discount which was fine because the price was still reasonable. The restraunt is not much to say about but the bar was excellent. We also found out that the front desk Is suppose to give its guest a card for a complimentary drink. When my husband and asked the front desk the said we for it from the bar when we asked the bar they said it comes from the front desk. I had to wait til the next morning and speak to someone at the front desk who finally gave me a card and apologized for the confusion. All in all we had a good stay our kids loved the pool area but as far as stating during the summer the rates go up and is far too high but other than that we definitely will be going back.

• Stayed: March 2014

We are happy that your were happy with you stay, and we look forward to you coming back again in the future.

Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

HORRIBLE mold issues. I have been on the road for years for buisness, and by far this is the worst hotel I have stayed at. I was traveling with 3 other co workers to this area, so I had to book a room on Priceline. They say it's three stars! What a lie!!! As soon as we got to our four different rooms, I immediately start getting phone calls and texts regarding everyone's room. It was bad. Mold in the floorboards, on the walls, in the ceiling even on one of my co-workers pillows!!! The rooms just smelled of mold. Unfortunately it was 1 in the morning so we had to stay there. As soon as we got up we left, I called priceline for a refund for the following days booked. I called to talk to the hotel about the mold and asked to speak to a manger and asked what the management group was that ran the hotel , he told me that he was not allowed to give me the group that ran the hotel! He was very rude and did not seem to care about his guest. In fact he stated that he wanted to charge us for the second night! I would not recommend anyone to stay there, I can't believe it would be rated at three star. This hotel is a health problem for guest and I will be following up with the city in regards to this health hazard!

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Patrick T
Kimberly W, Director of Sales at Magnuson Hotel & Convention Center at Oyster Point, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We booked this hotel on hot wire and I was a little hesitant not knowing exactly where we were staying until after paying but the risk paid off! After reading the reviews I was scared but we arrived and it was so clean, the staff was friendly, and we were able to enjoy the indoor pool since it rained! I never heard a single person on our floor and it was very full based on the parking lot. The rooms were clean and housekeeping did an amazing job of keeping us well stocked during our stay! I would definitely recommend this place, we will be back for sure! I am not sure where all of the negative remarks are coming from but there is a nightclub but once again it never once interfered with our enjoyable stay! It also did not smell of cigarette smoke at all on our floor, which would have been a problem for our children. It was a wonderful stay and we can't wait to go back!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2014

Reviewed 1 August 2014

The room we stayed in was not clean, and updating may be in the best interest. The room service took over an hour after the initial call. The hot tub was not in service, which was one of the reasons we picked the hotel. The price of the hotel was decent, and we even got a king size bed for a great price. The location was adequate for our vacation purpose, which was Busch Gardens. Magnuson was close to the Mariner's Museum, which has scenic trails too. The hookah lounge can get a bit rowdy on the weekends, but that's not a conflict if you park early and stay in the room. There was free wifi, which was great because I had work to finish, and the wifi connection was great!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Loved the hotel and the staff was very nice and helpful. My room was very clean and there was plenty of room. The indoor pool area was clean, and l like the way it is situated in the hotel. There is a restaurant/bar in the hotel as well as a hooka lounge, but unfortunately, thanks to Michael Vick, my friends and I did not get to enjoy either aminity. He was in town and decided to have a party at our hotel, so there was a ton of outside people as well as security in the lobby. I understand he is a celebrity, however, we PAID to stay in this hotel. I should not have to pay a $20 cover to go the bar, nor should I have to pay $400 for a table in the hooka lounge if I am staying in your hotel. Needless to say, this was my only complaint; otherwise, I would stay at this hotel again. By the way, the shopping and eateries in Oyster Point are awesome as well!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends