“Best Pizza in Town!”
Review of Anna's Pizza

Anna's Pizza
Ranked #61 of 498 Restaurants in Newport News
Reviewed 17 June 2014

The pizza, the mozz sticks, and especially the calzones are to die for. The service I received was fast and friendly. Took my order quickly and had it ready in no time!

1  Thank Mark Y

Reviewed 20 May 2014

This was my first visit to Anna's Pizza #2 on Warwick Boulevard since I was a teenager. This Anna's used to be a part of the other Anna's around Hampton Roads and was founded in 1972 before it was sold from the Russo family.
On this particular Tuesday evening, we were warmly invited it and greeted by our hostess, who would also be our server, Amanda. Instantly, we knew this was going to be a pleasant experience by her personality.
We were allowed to sit wherever we desired, which was a very nice change as most establishments dictate where you are seated. The booth was plenty wide and the seat was comfortable; no rips in the seats and the table was clean. Placemats and silverware were already on the table, a rather 1970's retro feel but fitting considering the shopping center goes back that far.
The restaurant was clean and well kept. Upon entering the kitchen area is right at the front door, bordered by a long countertop which was a little cluttered by much-needed staff essentials, but still providing a nice view of the oven and the pizza-making magic.
Several other tables were nearby including a table of police officers, further reinforcing our idea that we made a great choice for dinner. As a former cop, I know officers are picky about their choices at dinnertime.
Amanda was spot-on with drinks and menus, knowledgeable about various options and quick to explain the pizza sizes, since there wasn't a description listed as to how big a medium or large really was. We opted for a large pizza, half combination and half meat lover's. Another great choice.
The drinks were kept full like clockwork, as Amanda was always nearby and always smiling, taking care of her other tables and yet never leaving any without plenty of attention.
The pizza arrived and she served us each our first slice, keeping the pie on a nearby empty table so we'd have extra elbow room. Nice touch.
The pizza was perfect. Just enough crunch underneath, enough thickness, and yet on the edges, just doughy and soft enough so you ate every bite. And, we did.
The combination half included onions, peppers, pepperoni and mushrooms while the meat lover's half included ham, bacon, pepperoni and sausage. Great amount of each topping that allowed you to taste each ingredient without one over-powering the other. And yet, when I finished my half, I didn't feel over-full or have that "I ate too much" regret.
In fact, I tried some dessert. Anna's offers Tartufo, which is a gelato (Italian ice cream) dessert in the shape of a small ball, that has a covering of chocolate dusting on it. Chocolate gelato hides a small ball of vanilla gelato on the inside. Delicious, and only $4.95. Why haven't other Italian restaurants come out with something like this?
Before leaving, Amanda provided us a copy of the menu to go, encouraged us to find them on Facebook and like their page (which we did), and answered any other questions we had. We even offered some ideas, such as a sampler pizza or a free birthday pizza promotion, which was happily received. Score more brownie points for Anna's! Too often, restaurant workers scowl if you make a suggestion or idea. Not so, here.
We left feeling comfortably full, very happy, and eager to come back to try more on the menu. Our pizza and drinks came to roughly $29, which is a bargain for a dinner for three. I paid for my dessert separately.
In the end, Anna's is a success story, and a great choice for anyone who wants a great meal, decent prices and outstanding service. Anna's is next door to the Cozzy's Comedy Club in the Hilton Shopping Center, just minutes from Carrollton, Hampton and Denbigh.
And yes, they deliver, unlike most of those "other" Anna's Pizzas out there. 10am-10pm. Sample Anna's today and you'll soon forget about those other Italian chain restaurants. They lack what Anna's has in abundance.

1  Thank DaveL73
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

We ordered pizza, an extra large was more than enough for 3 people. Their tomato sauce is really yummy and the crust just perfect. Friendly staff, super casual

1  Thank CeciliaM405