“We'd return!”

Price range: US$9 - US$20
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Vinny & Sonny Chiarello originally opened their doors as "Luigi's Pizza and Subs" in Newport News, VA in 1987. The brothers moved to Newport News from Queens, NY in 1986-- to their humble beginnings in a small pizza joint just down the road on from where they are currently located on Warwick Blvd. They built their business based on their Italian roots & love of their family's original recipes. Growing up, they learned early on the importance of great food and the tradition of sharing meals with loved ones in groups both large & small. Luigi's quickly grew into a successful full-service restaurant specializing in a variety of pizzas & pastas of their own (now) famous recipes. After 30 years, in 2014, Vinny & Sonny closed Luigi's in hopes of retirement. A Mexican Restaurant in its place just didn't make the cut. Luigi's loyalists pined over the loss through countless calls & emails for over a year. The brother's daughters reopened Luigi's in 2016 to "Revive The Next Generation". & so, The Love is Back!
Reviewed 2 May 2014

After reading other people's reviews, we decided to try Luigi's. The menu was fairly standard Italian. The food was very tasty. We came on a Thursday night, which happened to correspond with their new Couples Night special. It worked well for us. We both enjoyed our wines, appetizer, entrees (Seafood Extravaganza and Lobster Ravioli) and dessert (ice cream). Portions were generous. Service was warm and very friendly; we felt welcomed and appreciated (note: we had come for an early dinner, and the restaurant wasn't busy). We are knowledgeable but not expert on Italian food; however, we know a good meal, with good value, when we have one. This was worth the visit.

1  Thank Carol and Joe W

Reviewed 27 April 2014

So, my husband and I decided to try this "#1" Tripadvisor rated restaurant for Newport News...are thoughts, who is voting? I am seriously confused. It is average, if not slightly below because of the grease. Everything is sitting in a pool of oil: the bread, the seafood, the pasta...we left feeling like we were going to break out in acne on the drive home. I am Italian and from New Jersey, so yes, I am biased coming from one of the best states for Italian food in this country, but even my husband didn't like it. He is from MN and doesn't have a lick of Italian in his heritage. The menu does not match the one on here, it is short and lacks creativity. The sauce isn't as sweet as others I have eaten at in this area, but still somewhat sweet nonetheless. I just don't see the need to ruin a nice red sauce with sugar...it actually makes me angry. The ambiance left a lot to be desired both outside and in...there was a huge lunch buffet table made of stainless steel sitting in the middle of the dining room. If you have a lunch buffet that is great, but when I go on a Sunday night it shouldn't be out. Unfortunately, after living in this area for 6+ months I am back to square 1 with finding an Italian restaurant worthy of my time and money.

1  Thank Reginajensen34
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

This place was recommended for lunch by a coworker. We both had the buffet which included salad, pizza and soup. Both of us really enjoyed the food and the service was great.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

Our first time here and it was for lunch. The restaurant consists of one large room with a very high ceiling. No sound deadening, so it is very loud when it is full of people. Our pinot grigio came very chilled and our lunches came quickly as well, after we had feasted on the garlic knots. Serving sizes are immense! I ordered the lasagna, and there is only one size--HUGE! My wife got the baked ziti--the "petite" size but it was so big we both could have shared it. Very tasty pasta, but a lot of wasted food unless you have a monster appetite. In the middle of the room at lunchtime there is a large salad, soup and pizza buffet bar--many choices!

Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

Yum! We stopped here based off of other reviews. The garlic knots will great you and wow they are delicious! I had the white baked chicken, it was heavenly white cheese galore. I stuffed myself on knots so I took most of my petite dish home. I tried my daughters spaghetti and again, yum! I order a nice chianti glass of wine that was smooth. It looks like there might be a pizza lunch buffet but we just missed it having a late 2:00 lunch. You can't go wrong here for great Italian.