“Very pleased, as always!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #42 of 453 Restaurants in Newport News
Price range: US$0 - US$15
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Newport News, Virginia
“Very pleased, as always!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

I love coming here, it makes me smile knowing that these 'mom and pop' diners are still around this area! I have always enjoyed supporting local businesses. I come here maybe once a month, it is usually packed and very busy on Sunday's especially. Yes, IT IS THAT GOOD! The staff are very friendly and the coffee is pretty decent. I love the atmosphere this place brings. The food is always delicious and I never have any problems. Can't say it enough LOVE LOVE LOVE! I love breakfast food, who doesn't right?

• Visited March 2014

Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Yummy Southern breakfast: pork chop & eggs, country ham & grits, bottomless coffee and friendly, attentive servers”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

Yummy Southern breakfast in a real diner: pork chop and eggs, country ham and grits
with a friendly and attentive staff. Totally stumbled on this restaurant on route 60. We were leaving Williamsburg and traveling south on route 60 because the Old Chickahominy House in the burg was closed for its annual cleaning. So we stayed on 60 looking for a breakfast place and saw "Belgian Waffle" on a sign, and a lot of cars outside. Rule of thumb for me is that if it's a local place, not a franchise, and there a lot of cars outside, it's probably pretty good at something. The front looked a lot like a Waffle House with a bar and booths the length of the front of the building, but it was all filled. Right away, we were greeted, and asked if we'd like to sit in the back. Figuring the signs outside that "Kiwanis/Rotary Club meet here..." meant a big room in the back, and happy to be offered a seat we said, "Sure!" like we knew what was going on. Shrug shoulders, follow the menus happily. It looked like an add-on to the original, with a little Wendy's sort of greenhouse bumpout area in addition to several other tables in a paneled room. Definitely local color, and looked like they have a lot of regulars. Menu had a lot of choices, but we were only looking at the breakfast menu. I would be okay to try another meal if we're in that area again. Prices were very reasonable but not so cheap that you worried about quality. Server (old school waitress who knew exactly how to take care of customers, suggesting and asking alternately) was great. Coffee was good, no complaints. My husband always wants tea selections and they just had straight ahead plain tea served in a mug with the bag already in it. He'd prefer to steep it himself because it ended up being way too strong for the small coffee mug, having sat in the mug before it reached the table. The pork chop was perfectly tender inside and crisp outside. Country ham and grits were perfect, and lots of it.
I'd go again!

• Visited January 2014
Newport News, Virginia
“GREAT FAMILY DINER”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

I ordered the pancakes and the light and fluffy with a unbelieveable taste. We have been here before but something just tasted so much better this time.

• Visited December 2013
“Excellent value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

Have been here several times. Whether it is alone or with family it is always a pleasant experience. The wait staff is friendly and makes you feel at home. Great food and even better prices. The menu offers something for everyone.

Ottawa, Canada
“Gluten Free Pancakes”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013

Just returned from a visit to Newport News. Someone on here mentioned they tried the gluten free pancakes so we thought we'd give it a try. The Waffle and Steakhouse is a quant little locally owned diner. We ate here two mornings in a row. The staff was plentiful as well as the service with a smile. I have gluten, egg and dairy allergies and they were so nice and very accommodating to clean the grill before preparing my steak with homemade pan fries. They usually use butter to make the pan fries but at my request they used oil. Bottom less coffee is always a plus, our cup was never empty.
The second day my husband and I ordered the gluten free pancakes. Yummy! These were so fluffy and delicious, they even had maple syrup that was warmed so your pancakes don't get cold. You can add whatever fruit you like or just have them plain with bacon and eggs. It's very difficult to find restaurants that will accommodate allergies never mind a waffle and pancake house. We'd definitely return if in the area again.

• Visited September 2013