“Squeaky clean & quality service!”

Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Newport News South, VA
Ranked #21 of 40 Hotels in Newport News
Reviewed 16 February 2012

The establishment is short distance from interstate. An older site but maintained by an exceptional service team of friendly staff. Shower curtain too thin. Property very clean. Management very attentive to the needs of patrons. After contacting front desk re:loud kids running over our heads, the staff promptly contacted the room & assured us it would be rectified if not sufficiently quieted after a few minutes. Try the County Grill restaurant just down the way for live music & good bbq. Definitely would stay again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
StephenBarger, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Newport News South, VA, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2012

Thanks for your review of your recent stay with us! I, and the entire staff are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. Hopefully we will have the pleasure of you staying with us again next time you're in town!

Reviewed 6 February 2012

This was a wonderful Motel. The rooms were great, beds comfortable. In the lobby area they have a reading/sitting area complete with a small library of books. The front office manager Stephen Barger was there to make sure we were comfortable during our stay. The breakfast host Ashanti had the breakfast dishes out and all the choices too! The area was very tidy! The house keeping at this motel is tops. We enjoyed our stay here. Thanks to the staff who made it great experience. I might also add Stephen Barger was dressed in a suit and taking care of business.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
StephenBarger, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Newport News South, VA, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2012

Thanks for the review! I, and the entire staff at the Country Inn & Suites in Newport News are extremely glad you enjoyed your stay here. We hope you stay with us when you're in town again!

Reviewed 11 January 2012

i thought it was good................................................................................................................................................and thats all i have 2 say

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
StephenBarger, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Newport News South, VA, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2012

Thanks for your review of the Country Inn & Suites in Newport News, VA. On behalf of the entire staff, I am glad you enjoyed your stay, and hope you decide to stay with us on your next trip to Newport News/the Hampton Roads!

Reviewed 6 November 2011

Maybe I'm just spoiled by the other CI&Ss. The breakfast was below normal, the AC in my room didn't work that well, and there was no happy hour (5-6:30). The staff was OK, but not what I'm use to from CI&S. This is not a bad hotel by any means, just not what I've experienced from the others.

• Stayed: November 2011
sbarger, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Newport News South, VA, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2011

I am sorry you were not fully satisfied with your recent stay with us. I will personally look into the suggestions and critics you provided, and explore ways to further improve our service to our guests. We hope you decide to stay with us again during your next visit to the area.

Stephen Barger,
Front Desk Manager

Reviewed 25 October 2011

Usually we have a wonderful stay at other Country Inn & Suites, especially the value you get for your dollar, but this stay...was bad. It was quite convenient, and had a wonderful restaurant next door. The staff seemed very friendly, but once we got to our rooms, that's when everything went downhill. The room was not very clean, it seemed as if they had not cleaned from the last guest. The beds were made, but there were stains and food crumbs on the comforters, and a not so pleasant odor in the room. The air conditioner unit vents were broke as well. We brought it to the attention of one of staff at the front desk, who was very helpful. She had our linen changed and said that she would inform the manager and that we should talk to him too, the following morning. We did, and he wasn't very helpful, and he refused to do anything about our inconvenience. I usually enjoy our stays at the Country Inn, but, I think this one has ruined it for me....I won't be staying here again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Eric D

I am sorry you were not satisfied with your recent stay at the Country Inn & Suites of Newport News. We are under new management, and are being very diligent to ensure our facility is kept to the highest standards. I will take your issues into consideration to ensure this type of situation does not happen again. I hope you reconsider staying with us in the future, please feel free to contact our new management staff to discuss the issues you experienced, and we would appreciate the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed 13 October 2011

We had a terrible experience at this hotel .The room that they gave us, was absolutely filthy. There was hair and stains on the comforter, brown stains and crumbs on the sheets, a huge unidentifiable stain on the side of the mattress, a green bug under the top sheet on one of the beds and a bag over the smoke detector. We were traveling from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania with a big group of friends and family, and had been driving for 9 hours, and unfamilar with the area. We asked one of the staff members on duty to come up to our room, she seemed to be very upset with the way the room was, and apologized. She said that the room must not of been cleaned after the last customer. She wanted to put us in another room, but there weren't any available. The employee said that she would back our reservation out of the computer, and we would not be charged for the stay, and that she would notify the manager the next morning. She gave us clean sheets, and comforters. We were so upset, and disturbed by it all. We layered all of the sheets and comforters on top of each other on one bed, and all three of us, my husband, son and myself, slept with our clothes on, on top of one of the beds. We seen the employee and the manager outside the next morning and she reinterated that she was sorry for our experience. So when we went to turn in our swipe cards, we spoke to the manager, he said that she did let him know about the room, but she didn't tell him that she offered not to charge us for our room. We asked him to please check with her, but he said that she had already left for the day. So, we asked him to go up and examine the room for himself. He said that he would, and he would give us a call if not that day, definitely the next day, and that will give him a chance to speak to his employee that promised not to charge us for the room. I took pictures of the room, and gave the manager my phone number, my husband's phone number, and the family member's phone number who made the reservation. He never called that day or any other. A month later, our credit card statement came in, and we were charged for the room anyway. I called the hotel this weekend and the manager happened to answer the phone, he kept me on hold for about 10 minutes. I refreshed his memory of what happened, and asked why he didn't call back. He said that he did call back and couldn't get us. I said that there is no way, we printed out our phone records, from all 3 phones for the month of September and October, and there is no phone call from him, or the hotel. I asked him, if you called why isn't there a message from you? He said that they do not leave messages when there is a complaint. I felt like I was just being lied to. I asked him how did he feel about how the room was, he said that they are human and cannot always ensure that every room is perfect. I told him that as a manager, you shouldn't want your customers to have to stay in a room like that. He said that there is nothing that he can do. I asked to get the contact information for someone that could help me. He said that he has the final word and he is not going to do anything. I asked him to please give me the corporate number. I called the number he gave me, but it didn't seem like a customer service line, and I was on hold for a long time. So I decided to look up the number for Country Inns & Suites on the internet. The number I found was for making reservations. I asked the reservationists what was the number for complaints, they gave me the number but informed me that the office was closed on Sundays. I then asked the reservationists, what number was the one that the manager at the Newport News Country Inn & Suites gave me, and he said I'm not really sure why he gave that number, it is the direct contact number for the hotel to use if there is a problem with their system or computers. I am totally frustrated and bewildered with the customer service, or the lack there of, I received. I've never been treated like this by a manager. This is not a hotel I ever plan to stay at again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
sbarger, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Newport News South, VA, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2011

I am sorry you were not satisfied with your recent stay at the Country Inn & Suites of Newport News. We are under new management, and have recently undergone a retraining program for our housekeepers to ensure these types of issues do not reoccur. Please contact our new management to discuss the issues you experienced during your stay, and we hope you decide to give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations in the future.

Jay Patel

Reviewed 3 September 2011

Country Inn & Suites is our first choice in hotels so when we decided to vacation near VA Beach (at a MUCH affordable price than oceanfront) we chose this one. It was near so many interesting historical areas plus a short drive to the beach. We were also fortunate to be able to visit with a young friend of ours who is stationed in the Navy here.

Our check-in was seamless although the desk clerk on duty wasn't real welcoming. She just wanted to "get it done" and go on to other things I guess. No problem, we were tired and ready to relax after a 6 hour drive.

The beds were wonderful, the room was roomy as expected, the bathroom/shower was heavenly (& clean!) When we stay at Country Inn I NEVER have to worry about getting "used" to the beds because they are so comfortable. The downside was the air was set on 65 and it was still not as cool as we like it. In foresight, we packed a fan - smart move.

We had an awesome housekeeper named Tarlishia. She was sweet, funny and thorough in her duties. Definitely an asset to this facility.

There was no laundry room as advertised so that was a minus. We usually stay for 6-7 nights and have learned to pack lighter since we can do laundry at the Country Inn. We ended up at a laundromat a block away. Not happy about that.

The second morning of our stay I woke up around 8 am. My husband was out taking a walk and our son was still sleeping. The room was permeated with the smell of smoke!!! I immediately thought of the air conditioner and went over to "sniff" but when I looked out the window, the entire area was smokey. I opened the door to the hallway and the smoke was visible. I called the front desk to ask if we should be evacuating only to find out the smokey conditions were coming from the Dismal Swamp Fire miles away. Now...before anyone has a fit, I am NOT blaming the hotel for this situation. What I did have a problem with is they should have told us up front that this could be an issue (it was happening on & off since the BEGINNING of August - this was the END of August.) Even a sign posted on the door would have helped. I felt sorry for those with respiratory problems. The day we checked out an older gentlemen cut his visit short due the smoke.

The breakfast was good, as usual. I love the waffle maker! The coffee thermos consistently pumped grounds. The front desk clerk we encountered at check-in was also taking care of the breakfast room. No wonder she wasn't in a good mood. I softened up on that after seeing her be at the hotel for double shifts 3 days in a row!

The other issue was the hotel parking. There was not enough parking for the guests they had. There was an overflow but they should have required the big "monster" trucks and the vehicles pulling trailers, etc., to park there. Instead, they would pull in "longways" and take up 3 to 5 parking spaces.

And lastly, the check-out was smooth as usual. The value of this stay was good due to a combination of cash + Gold Points so our 5-night stay was $305. Can't complain about that.

My main reason for not staying here again is the area is a madhouse of traffic. We actually left there more stressed than before due to the craziness. We live in the country and have been in traffic lots of times while traveling but this town is downright scary!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family

I am glad you enjoyed the majority of your stay with us this summer. I apologize for the few issues you brought up, and will personally look into ways to prevent their nonoccurrence in the future. Thanks again for your stay, and we hope you decide to stay with us again next time you're in the Hampton Roads.

Jay Patel