“Very Nice Place”

Ranked #20 of 38 Hotels in Newport News
Southfield, Michigan, United States
“Very Nice Place”
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Was in the area for a wedding, so I reserved a standard room for two nights. As soon as I entered the doors I was greeted with a delightful fragrance of Potpourri (nice touch). Upon check in, I was informed that my standard room had been updated to a suite (WOW)! The only drawback was that the door sticks; I handled that issue with no problem. The hotel and room were very clean and quiet. I was able to take advantage of the breakfast on Saturday, Have had better, but not bad. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Will definitely stay here again if I return.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
StephenBarger, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newport News South, responded to this review, 2 October 2013
I am glad to see you enjoyed your recent visit with us. On behalf of the entire staff, I would like to thank you for your business. I am delighted to see that you had such a great visit with us.

I hope to have you as our guest next time you're in the area.

Thanks again,

Vice President of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Christiansburg, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Visiting for CNU game. I thought we would get a simple standard room, but we had a wonderful surprise. Room had two beds plus a small living room area couch and chair! The beds for very comfortable. All of the staff front desk, housekeeping where very kind and helpful. We enjoyed breakfast both mornings, where treated to sausage, eggs, waffles, plus cereals, bagels, fruit. Next morning chicken with gravy, waffles, fruit etc very tasy! Pool and hotub was AWESOME! Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
StephenBarger, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newport News South, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
Thank you so much for your great review! I am glad you enjoyed your stay, and hope to see you during your next visit to CNU!

NYC
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We stayed 2 nights in a room with 2 queen beds. The room was clean and in good condition, although the bathroom was short on towels. The breakfast room is TINY and the offerings were so bad we decided to go to a nearby IHOP. All the baked goods were sugary, pre-packaged and chock full of hydrogenated oils, the coffee was undrinkable and the hot food unappetizing. And the din in the small room, between the loud TV and crowded tables was hardly a pleasant way to start the day. Won't be staying here again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
StephenBarger, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newport News South, responded to this review, 17 September 2013
I am sorry you were dissatisfied with your stay with us in July, and specifically the problems you had with our breakfast. Since your visit with us in July, we have worked on making a new breakfast menu, have ordered new linens, and have been doing a lot of work around the property to increase guest satisfaction, as you can see by the more recent reviews.

I sincerely hope you decide to give us another try, so you can see our improvements first hand. If you have any other suggestions or issues you would like to address, please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel.

Kaneohe, Hawaii
Reviewed 15 September 2013

I strongly recommend this hotel on your next visit to the Newport News area. Our room was very comfortable, clean and spacious. The friendly staff made our visit most enjoyable and the delicious daily breakfast was more than enough to start our day. This hotel is conveniently located to my daughter's home in Hampton--an extra plus. Each day my daughter and grandson visited my husband and I for breakfast and to swim in the indoor pool. My grandson loved the pool so much, he cryed when it was time to checkout. I plan to stay here whenever I visit. Thank you Steve and the friendly staff at CI&S for a wonderful experience.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank i m
StephenBarger, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newport News South, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
I am glad to see you made it home safely! I truly enjoyed your stay with us, talking with you and your grandson each morning made my mornings! I appreciate your business, and your absolutely great review :) . I am glad that you got to spend the time with your family, and I am glad we made your time with the family that much better :) .

I look forward to your next visit with us, and hope the family is all doing great :)

Woodbridge, Virginia
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Having stayed in a variety of Country Inn & Suites hotels, I'd say this one falls toward the better than average of them. I recommend this hotel for its physical location because it is a great mid-point between Virginia Beach and Williamsburg. Also, everything you need is around this hotel from a supermarket to multiple restaurants and gas stations. Entrance/exit ramps to the main highways are close by as well.
As for the hotel itself, it is well maintained and has the "homey" (home-like, not rapper-like) look and feel I'd expect from this brand. The staff is friendly and helpful. The overall cleanliness of the room was good. There were some hairs on the padded, fitted mattress sheet but not enough for me to warrant having it changed as there was another clean sheet on top of it. I slept mildly well but that was mostly due to people in the neighboring room being excessively loud for a while.
Overall I would repeat a stay at this hotel, again primarily because of the location.

Room Tip: If you're a Club Carlson Gold member you should receive a free upgraded room if there is one ava...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank sdabba
I am glad you enjoyed your visit with us, and I appreciate the great review! I look forward to seeing you during your next visit to the Hampton Roads Area.

Thanks again

Odessa, Missouri, United States
Reviewed 8 September 2013

We weren't sure how long we would actually be in the area as we were dropping our daughter off at Ft Eustis. But we ended up in this hotel without a reservation and it was wonderful!!! I will stay here again when I go to visit her again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Kim J
StephenBarger, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newport News South, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
On behalf of the entire staff and management, I would like to thank you for your business and your great review! We are always happy to have military families, and we pride ourselves in being able to help the families of those who serve. I look forward to having you as our guests for years to come!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I am the person that checks and double checks ALL reviews on hotels before I book. I cross check everything...OCD I know. I just want to be able to stay with my kids somewhere CLEAN and NICE. So I actually cancelled a reservation at another hotel and booked here based on a lot of your reviews. And believe me I liked it! We got into the area late around 11 pm and they checked me in fast. Every one was really nice. The room was bog and nice...we got 2 queen with a separate sitting area.
The only down was 1 yucky washcloth...but I heard that they are replacing their towels so that's good news. Other than that breakfast is not gourmet but its OK for a quick bite. Kids had cereal, I grabbed coffee....by the way this was AFTER breakfast ENDED! The front desk let us grab something since we mixed up times. They are really very nice and understanding since the little ones were hungry. This place is worth the money and clean. We didn't use the pool. The beach is easily accessible. Everything was clean. The next day we stayed at a pricier hotel and we had more problems there. I should have just stayed here the extra night.

Room Tip: Our room was at the top of the stairs....if you are staying with kids opt for the 2 queen beds and i...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
StephenBarger, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newport News South, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
I am thrilled that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Thanks for the great review, and I look forward to having you as our guest during your next visit with us!