“Excellent Suite”

Marriott Hotel Newport News at City Center
Ranked #4 of 39 Hotels in Newport News
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Lobby Beautiful, location wonderful. Restaurant needed more staff. Room Amazing. I had a two room suite that looked like it was just renovated. Great room layout. You entered through the living/ work area then could continue into a separate bed room. The bathroom vanity area could be reached from either the living room or the bed room. There was a separate doored off bathroom area within the vanity room. This way, you could have people up to the room for cocktails or a meeting and allow them access to the living and bathroom without them seeing your bedroom. Great design and great colors/fabrics.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Robert W

Reviewed 25 August 2011

The cleanliness and amenities of this hotel were amazing. The staff was also super friendly. I was here for a conference and it was definitely a home away from home with large rooms and comfortable beds. The Elite members concierge lounge had great food and friendly service. The location of the hotel in the town center is nice because it provides good bars and meal options. The area is great for morning runs.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank JJD19
NNManager, Manager at Marriott Hotel Newport News at City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2011

Thank you again for your kind words about the Newport News Marriott at City Center. We know that being away from home can be a very difficult and sometimes stressful situation. I am glad to hear that we were able to provide you with the service and amenities that allowed you to relax and enjoy your "home away from home".
Our concierges will certainly be recognized for the positive experience they provided for you during your visits to the lounge. We take great pride in ensuring that our most frequent travelers are well taken care of during their time in the hotel.
The area around the hotel is a wonderful place for our guests to eat and shop. As you mentioned, it is a great and safe area for a quick early run around the fountain or a longer one around the entire City Center area.
I hope that you have an opportunity to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 10 August 2011

Great rooms, bar, restaurant, and service. Our favorite bartender, Mariette, is all about customer service. This is a good hotel if you're in the Newport News area.

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank Stoph61

Thank you for your positive comments about the Newport News Marriott at City Center. It is always nice to hear that we are providing the type of service that our guests have come to expect from the Marriott brand. It was also very nice to see one of our associates recognized by name. We pride ourselves on hiring positive and customer service-oriented associates and Mariette is a prime example of this high level of service. Thank you very much for taking the time to mention her and rest assured that she will be recognized by the hotel for providing you with such great service.
I hope that you will be returning to our hotel shortly so that we may continue serving you in the future.

Reviewed 4 August 2011

Standard issue Marriott hotel. Clean, comfy, great staff and very convenient for my office across the way.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank TravelnPea

I am glad that you were able to enjoy yourself at the Newport News Marriott at City Center and we were able to provide the necessary environment for you to be productive on your business trip. We pride ourselves on providing our guests with the high quality Marriott experience. With your office in the City Center area, I hope that you have an opportunity to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 31 July 2011

Coming through for a athletic event I was participating in I checked in for one night at the Marriot Newport News at City Center. The property itself is huge and everything seems shiny and new.

The room was at the quality level you would expect from a Marriot property. An excellent bed with quality linens and generally very tasteful modern decor.

The parking situation at the hotel is unusual in that you park in this huge multi-level deck and take an elevator to only be fed to the sidewalk in front of the hotel where you have yet another walk to get in. Perhaps one of the oddest, if not most inconvenient, parking situations I have ever come across at a hotel. This type of layout seems inefficient plus Marriot takes it upon themselves to charge you a daily rate for parking in this awful deck. I also had to pay $4.95 for internet access, which I find very irritating given the high price of the room.

The hotel is well located as City Center is one of the suburban urban villages with restaurants and shops nearby.

Overall, this is very nice and new Marriot property with the quality and service you would expect at any of their properties around the country. However, you might find some better value in the vicinity given the higher rates this hotel charges. My only real minus is the burdensome, if not peculiar, parking situation.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank mjohns7861

We appreciate the kind words and information you provided concerning your recent stay at the Newport News Marriott at City Center.
I am glad that you found our hotel and guestrooms to be of excellent quality. We pride ourselves on providing our guests with the high quality experience they have come to expect from staying at a Marriott hotel. The City Center area provides a wonderfully close and safe space for our guests to enjoy the shopping and dining options located just outside the hotel.
I apologize that he parking situation provided a negative experience for you upon your arrival to the hotel. The garage and hotel setup can be a little difficult to manuever as a first time traveler to the hotel. In reference to the cost to park, we have forwarded your information to the City of Newport News as they are the owners and operators of the garage and also collect the payment they require us to charge our overnight guests.
Charging for the internet is a full-service Marriott standard, although our charge is significantly less than other full-service hotels. I would recommend signing up for our Marriott Rewards program which provides you with a number of benefits, including complimentary internet at our hotel.
Thank you again for your positive and constructive feedback and we look forward to having you stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 29 July 2011

I've stayed at several hotels in the area over the last few years and this was the best all around. I had an great stay for a weeklong business trip. I have pretty simple criteria for a great hotel. Mainly the room and its furnishings must be clean (including in the less visible areas), absolutely no bugs/pests nor any trace of them, a responsive front desk if I have any questions/issues, and the hotel itself must have a safe atmosphere inside and out. I can manage pretty much anything else. Along that line, my only complaint would be the carpet, at least in my room seemed to need a good cleaning. Otherwise I would recommend this hotel and I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank SimpleTraveler80

Thank you very much for your feedback from your most recent week long stay with us at the Newport News Marriott at City Center. We appreciate you finding us to be the premier hotel in the Newport News area. Everything you described that you look for in a hotel, from the cleanliness of the hotel and guestrooms to the friendliness of our front desk staff and to the safety and securty of our area, makes us one of the prime hotels in this area. We pride ourselves in being able to provide every one of our guests with the same experience you had during your stay. We will certainly take a look at the carpets and have our housekeeping staff maintain the quality of these carpets as they have the rest of the hotel.
Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to have you visit us again in the future.

Reviewed 28 July 2011

OK, The hotel and its location are nice. Here's the problem I have and why I will never stay there again. My family(wife and teen son) and I go to Hatteras NC from our home in Pittsburgh every year and on the way there, we spend the night in the Norfolk Va area. Last July, I booked a room at this hotel through the Marriot website and requested a room with two beds, when we arrived, only a single bed room was available. Alright, They brought a fold up bed into the room and we managed. This year, I booked the same hotel through Expedia, 6 weeks in advance, also requesting a room with two beds indicating that there where three people spending the night. Again when I arrived I was told that all of the "double bed rooms" where taken. They explained that If I had booked through their website I would have had a better chance at my request. Expedia could not resolve this issue with the Hotel and offered me a $25 coupon for future travel. I declined their offer. My problem is that they should not have accepted the reservation if they could not fulfill my request. Apparently, I was bumped by more "important" guests. I cannot stay at another Marriot property or use Expedia again. Please let me know if I am over reacting. Thank you. Duane.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank mahimahiamhimahi

Thank you very much for your feedback concerning your last two stays with us on the way to your vacation. The summertime is a very busy time for the Newport News Marriott and we always have a large number of requests for rooms with two double beds due to the large number of traveling families such as yours. We have realized over time that when we have more requests for double beds rooms than we are able to accomodate, we try to contact as many of the guests as possible prior to their arrival to inform of the bed type concern. Unfortunately, we may have adopted this practice after your first stay with us last year. The desk probably mentioned booking through the marriott website because that is the only way we are able to obtain your information as Expedia.com does not provide us with this information.
I certainly understand that this was an inconvenience during your past two stays. I hope you have the opportunity to stay with us in the future and please feel free to contact the hotel prior to your arrival or when the reservations are made to follow up on the room type request so we can inform you at that time if we will be able to accomodate your request. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you have an opportunity to visit with us again in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport News
Hampton Inn & Suites Newport News (Oyster Point)
Hilton Garden Inn Newport News
#8 of 39 in Newport News
The Founders Inn and Spa
The Founders Inn and Spa
#14 of 109 in Virginia Beach

Been to Marriott Hotel Newport News at City Center? Share your experiences!