“Best of Newport News”

Marriott Hotel Newport News at City Center
Ranked #4 of 40 Hotels in Newport News
Reviewed 15 October 2013

My daughter goes to CNU and this is the best hotel in Newport News. The staff at the Marriott are always helpful and the rooms are small but neat and clean. WIFI and phone service in bar area is weak.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Renee W, Guest Relations Manager at Marriott Hotel Newport News at City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2013

Thank you for your recent posted comments on Trip Advisor regarding your stay experience with us. It was great hearing that you enjoyed the hotel and our staff members. We look forward to you returning to visit your daughter at CNU and staying with us!

Reviewed 3 October 2013

The Marriott chain is our go-to particularly when on a trip together. The Newport News Marriott at City Center was good but a few things kept it from being great. Facing the beautiful fountain was great. Clean facility, clean room, friendly service. The people working here are very hospitable. Upon check-in however we discovered a trash can that hadn't been emptied. A mistake made another time by our house keeping staff failing to empty the bathroom trash once. On Sunday our room had not been made-up by 4 pm so we deferred, not what we prefer. The bar was ridiculously expensive charging over $8.00 for a rail drink. There is just no need for that. The worst thing was the noise. Our 8th floor room, # 834, had some sort of direct link to a suite above us or below us via the HVAC duct work and whatever party was there (I believe it was a Boys and Girls club fundraiser) kept me up half the night. All in all a nice place with nice people and most of what I did not like can be corrected. I usually complain but this time did not bother.

I have to add, I booked the trip a few weeks ahead and took advantage of paying in full at the time of reservation. $126/night. You cant cancel so there is that risk but when my wife decided to some I added 2 nights. Originally Marriott was going to ding me 139 and 169 for the extra nights but I put a request into the hotel and they let me have the entire stay at the $126 rate. Classy move in my opinion

Room Tip: book the non-fountain view and ask at check in to me moved.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Renee W, Guest Relations Manager at Marriott Hotel Newport News at City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2013

On behalf of the entire Newport News Marriott at City Center team, I would like to thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. I apologize for the lack of proper housekeeping and the noise from HVAC duct work in your guest room. We have reviewed your concerns with our management team to ensure future guests are not inconvenienced in a similar situation. I am happy to hear we were able to extend the discounted rate to you for your entire stay. Thank you again for taking the time to write this review. It is through feedback and reviews like yours that we are able to improve on our service and provide our guests the genuine care that they deserve. We welcome you to stay with us again the next time you are in the area.

Reviewed 27 September 2013

I stayed here one night using a free certificate. If I had been paying I would have left at check in.
The hotel is attractive but seems to be very poorly run in many many ways. When I checked in I went to some lengths to ask for a room in a quiet location -- I was allocated a connecting room which any decent front desk personnel should know can be very noisy. The person also gave me totally incorrect advice on parking and then told me they did not have my Marriott frequent number on file which I find difficult to believe as I was staying on an award certificate. Was this her first day?
There was a long list of small problems -- the TV did not get most of the channels which they blamed on the cable company yet they worked in the gym. The bath did not drain properly. The shower curtain liners must have been bought at a going out of business sale. There were no water cups in the gym....etc etc etc....get the drift? It is a shame that such a large investment seems to have nobody checking how it is running.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank neilmj

I am sorry to hear that you were not able to enjoy yourself during your visit to the hotel. It is our goal and expectation to ensure that every guest that visits our hotel is completely satisfied and leaves happy. I apologize that our accommodations did not meet your expectations. The concerns with our housekeeping staff, in regards to the shower curtain and water cups in the gym, will be addressed with our Management team, as well as your concerns with our Front Desk Staff to ensure that other guests do not have the same experience.
Again, I apologize that you did not find our accommodations satisfactory; however, we appreciate the constructive criticism so that we might better improve our service and product in the future.

Reviewed 24 September 2013

the location was great with several restaurants within walking distance. Room was nice and clean. Bed was wonderful, a great sleeping bed.
My only complaint with this property is no cover to the parking garage, the elevator in the parking garage takes you to the ground floor and then you have have to walk around the building to the hotel door.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are glad that you were able to take advantage of our great location to enjoy City Center. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the very near future!

Reviewed 21 September 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed at this hotel for a business trip. The property is very nice and clean. It is within walking distance to several restaurants. The property has its own conference facility which makes having a conference very efficient and easy.

There were two issues that would have made this an even better stay. 1. The property should offer complimentary Internet. 2. My ironing board was filthy (see picture). I had to cover the board with a towel to iron my items.

Other than that, a good stay. I usually stay at Hilton properties, but I am definitely considering Marriott as my hotel chain of choice again.

• Stayed: September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are glad that you were able to take advantage of our great location to enjoy City Center. We will share your comments with our staff so they can better assist going forward. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the very near future!

Reviewed 11 September 2013

Stayed at this Marriott on the way to the beach this summer. It was a large, clean, nicely appointed hotel. No surprises, no complaints, which is probably a good thing. Frankly I am getting a little weary of the cookie cutter hotels such as these. All look the same, (again this is good for one wanting consistent comfortable accommodations) but the Marriotts are starting to bore me. Just saying. This location is unique in that it is right in the center of a Business Industrial Headquarters and there is a lovely view of the large fountains and lake right across from the Marriott. We were there on a Saturday evening and the place was pretty much dead. If it weren't for the amusing bride in red tennis shoes wedding there would have been nothing going on! There were a few stores open and a few restaurants but not much else to do even though it was a beautiful summer evening. Would stay there again, if only for the convenience to the beach the next day. Sorry Marriott, feeling like an ingrate....

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking fountain. Also don't bother to pay for valet. Garage is close.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank nurseontheloose

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding our hotel on Trip Advisor. We enjoy hearing your comments and are pleased that we met your expectations! It is our hope that we have the opportunity to service you again in the very near future.

Reviewed 26 August 2013

We just spent a night at this property, and had a great experience.

The front desk folks were very attentive, the room was clean and comfortable, and the breakfast buffet had a good variety of pastries, cold and hot foods. Fast and friendly service, also.

The location is very good, with several restaurant options within walking distance, and a nice park right across the street. We noticed they play kids' movies on Saturday evenings throughout the Summer.

Room Tip: Rooms on the high floors facing the fountain have very nice views.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank LikestoTravel277

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay experience with us. We are glad that you enjoyed our location and the interaction you had with our most valued asset, our team members! We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.