“Can I just move in?”

Ranked #4 of 38 Hotels in Newport News
Newport News
“Can I just move in?”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

There are truly no words to describe how spectacular my stay here was. But I will try to express my experience as best I can. When checking in, I was struck by how friendly and helpful everyone was. I felt like each employee was happy to be there, which made me happy to be there! The service was above and beyond anything I have ever encountered in a hotel before. The room was everything I ever wanted: beautiful, clean, and luxurious. The bed was far more comfortable than my own at home! My overall experience was so enjoyable, that I never wanted to leave! I highly recommend this hotel and will never stay anywhere else in Newport News. Can I just move in?

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank scarpenter00
Tim B, Manager at Marriott Hotel Newport News at City Center, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
On behalf of the entire Newport News Marriott team, thank you for all your positive comments you have shared. We are so pleased to hear about your wonderful stay with us and that we are your hotel of choice for the future! We look forward to serving you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Thanks Alison! Everything was great and I wanted to share that the banquet staff did an outstanding Job! We were very pleased with everyone and the service we received. You were great! We will certainly come back!
F Lane

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Feldman L
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay at The Newport News Marriott. We’re delighted you enjoyed your stay and excited that others will take from your feedback what a truly wonderful hotel we have. We will share your positive comments about the banquet team with our staff. Safe travels and we look forward to your return.
Media, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I travel for business 4 days / week nearly every week. The Marriott City Center staff is exceptional starting with front desk, all the way up to the Concierge floor. Always polite and courteous, they make you feel like you are home. Rooms are always clean and neat, the hotel is generally quiet. Food is good and the drink prices for happy hour are as good as any in the area. I highly recommend this hotel if traveling to the Newport News area. Thanks Dan, Morgan, Susan and Carl.

Room Tip: Choose Fountain View
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Rick P
Reviewed 5 May 2014

This is the second time I have stayed at this hotel. There were some good things about it. The foremost is the elevator. Despite several events going on at the hotel, the elevator was always available in a short time, which was good, because they block you from using the stairs. They gave us a fair breakfast and a good dinner, which was advertised instead as hors d'oeuvres for free so I didn't have to run out to McDonald's. They have a late checkin time of 4 pm but I told them in advance I would be there at 2:30 pm and they had a room ready at a low floor (also a request). Parking was free (of course that could cause the lot to fill, but that didn't happen.) But there were some problems with this place. It is the most Internet-unfriendly place I have stayed at. They charge $6.95 a day for Internet. Most other hotels offer it for free. (However, the wireless connection was good.) Further, when I was attending conference events, when I tried to access the Internet there on my iPhone, it asked for a password, and none was supplied to me, and AT&T connections there were TERRIBLE. It cut off a call I was making, and a good percentage of the time, AT&T gave me "searching" or "no service" on the iPhone. The busboys would not let me use a hotel cart or caddy to bring my stuff in, and I had to walk back and forth several times to get my stuff into the room; most other hotels let you use these carts. Only one bar of soap was provided, forcing me to reach back and forth between tub and sink for the soap. Two of my three room keys failed; fortunately I had the third one. Card room keys just don't work; give us back metal keys. But it is mainly on the basis of unfriendly Internet connections that I give this place only 2 stars.

Room Tip: Tell in advance if you will arrive before 4 pm. Try to get independent of the hotel's ISP.
Green Features: They seem to be environmentally friendly. They have trash cans at most locations, and they don't appear to waste stuff elsewhere.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Jim B
Renee W, Guest Relations Manager at Marriott Hotel Newport News at City Center, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding our hotel on Trip Advisor. We enjoy hearing your comments so we can review them with our team. We are currently aware of the cell phone reception in the hotel and are actively working with cell phone providers to find a way to improve the service. It is through feedback and reviews like yours that we are able to improve our service and provide our guests the genuine care that they deserve. We look forward to welcoming you back.
St. Augustine, Florida
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I travel a lot and I get to see all kinds of service and not all Marriott hotels are equal. My visit to this hotel stands out. Not only was I greeted kindly on arrival but was given breakfast coupons because the concierge lounge was closed on my visit. This was huge for me because I'm a breakfast kind of person and the breakfast buffet was awesome. The room was perfect and extra clean! Yes, we expect this to be so but this is not always the case. Safe place for an evening walk around the pond with fountains too. Parking in the garage is no problem.

Room Tip: Park on the second floor and you can enter the hotel/convention area on that level.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank sdf66
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Probably the best location in the Newport News area. The hotel sits in the middle of a new outdoor shopping mall. While not great shopping, it is pleasant to have someone where to walk around and get a cup of coffee or a drink / meal outside of the hotel itself. The hotel indicated upon check-in that they were preparing for a "make-over". Based on the room, which was clean and pleasant, it could use it as it was a bit dated. The front desk was friendly enough upon check-in and helpful when we asked questions. The bar in the lobby was pretty poor and not very inviting. Based on what you are looking for, this hotel offers good location and decent accommodations.

Room Tip: Request a room with a "fountain side" view or you will be looking at the Garage.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Russell P
WestinVAManager, Manager at Marriott Hotel Newport News at City Center, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Russell P,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We will celebrate your positive comments with our front desk. We will also use your other observations for improvements as we continue our renovations of our guest rooms and the lobby areas. Thank you again for taking the time to share your observations.
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I have stayed here a total of 3 nights on 2 separate trips. The rooms are nice and the beds are so so comfortable. I love that the AC has a setting to increase or decrease the AC fan because I like to feel a little more air flow (comes from sleeping with a fan on at home I guess). Breakfast is ok but a little overpriced for a buffet. The employees are very nice but service could be improved upon (difficulty finding front-desk staff in middle of day. No one answered extension for room service even after many many tries from 6-7pm one night). Still, despite these little hiccups, it really is a very nice hotel and reasonable price. Absolutely no complaints about the room. And the parking is not difficult like some other reviewers have noted. If you take parking garage elevators to 1st floor, walk outside for 20 feet, then into front door of hotel, the main elevators are right there. The front desk staff said that if I took parking garage elevators to 2nd floor and entered hotel from there, those elevators did not connect to the guest room elevators. They gave me directions and a map if I wanted to go that way, but I chose the easier way and just came in the front door. Great food options within walking distance, and breakfast at the coffee shop around the corner is better and cheaper than breakfast at the hotel. Sounds like I'm complaining but I'm not. It's nice to have options. Wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank frostypoe
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport News
Hampton Inn & Suites Newport News (Oyster Point)
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Newport News
Hampton Inn Newport News-Yorktown
The Founders Inn and Spa
The Founders Inn and Spa
#12 of 109 in Virginia Beach

Been to Marriott Hotel Newport News at City Center? Share your experiences!