“Excellent Marriott”

Ranked #4 of 38 Hotels in Newport News
Gulfport, Florida, United States
“Excellent Marriott”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Located in center city, which has nightlife options that you can walk to and some nice restaurants as well a quick 5 minute drive away. The staff was welcoming upon arrival and the hotel is very clean and updated. Rooms were on the larger side and very clean and comfortable. The staff in the bar and restaurant area was very friendly. Was happy to see that on the weekend the concierge lounge is closed and was given the Sunday brunch as a replacement, which was very good and had many selections to chose from.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Tim B, Manager at Marriott Hotel Newport News at City Center, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Thank you for your positive comments about your stay with us here at the Newport News Marriott. We could not agree with you more in your observations concerning how the Marriott combined with all that the Oyster Point area offers makes for a great experience. Again thank you for your comments, we look forward to serving you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Fremont
Reviewed 22 June 2014

This is a great hotel in the city center. For Marriott elite members there is a lounge on the 11th floor that is nice although it gets crowded during breakfast and has limited seating. The lobby was being renovated during my stay which was not a big deal. The staff is courteous and one of the managers, Mr. Manning, was very helpful and accommodating for one little problem I had. I am surprised the front desk clerk was not authorized to resolve the issue. You pay for parking, but it is worth it as you park in a parking structure that keeps the car cool during the 95 degree days.

The rooms are clean, comfortable, and the upper floor rooms on the inside have a great view of a water fountain. I will definitely go back next time.

I enjoyed the Paragon movie theatre next door. Every seat in this theatre is a lazy boy chair and you can recline and put your feet up. You get a ticket discount if you show your Marriott room key.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor on the inside.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
NNManager, Manager at Marriott Hotel Newport News at City Center, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
The Newport News Marriott at City Center staff and management would like to thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to provide us with your comments concerning your stay.
We appreciate your willingness to accomodate our renovations as we are very much looking forward to the brand new finished product. You will be pleased to hear that the Concierge Lounge that you enjoyed is part of our renovation plan as well and we will be adding additional seating to assist with our breakfast crowds. I was glad to hear that I was able to assist you with the one small concern you had during your stay. Your additional comments concerning the rooms, the parking garage and the Paragon theater were all correct as well. They are all great values that certainly add to the quality of the City Center location. We look forward to serving you on your next visit to the Newport News area.
Virginia Beach
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Stayed for a weekend visit while my wife attended a conference at Fort Monroe. The hotel was clean, rooms very nice and comfortable with top end amenities. Wonderfully comfortable beds. We had a fountain view room which was very nice at night to overlook. Loved all the little high end touches like small box with all the coffee and tea items and the comfortable chair with ottoman next to the window. If you are in the Newport News or Hampton area I would highly recommend this hotel, probably one of the nicest in the area and having the City Center right next door is very convenient.

Room Tip: Ask for a fountain view room.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank geoffdogdoc
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide your feedback and feelings about the Newport News Marriott at City Center. Your description of the hotel is exactly what we would like to portray to our guests. I was pleased to hear that you and your wife enjoyed themselves during your weekend in Newport News. I do hope that you choose to stay with us again during any future visits to the Newport News area.
Independence, Kentucky
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We were here with several other family members for a wedding. The location and the grounds were great, but being charged extra for parking and wifi (which are standard in every hotel/resort I've ever been to), left me unimpressed. There were also problems with having the rooms for the wedding ceremony and reception ready. After the ceremony, the hotel "clean up crew" misplaced some of the bride and grooms things. I felt like we paid a lot for lackluster service.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank enelrahce
I would like to first thank you and your family for making the decision to stay at the Newport News Marriott at City Center for the wedding event you attended. We take great pride in ensuring our guests are completely satisfied with their accomodations, especially when celebrating an event, such as a wedding.
I was pleased to hear that you found the hotel and accomodations to your liking. I certainly understand your feelings about the additional charges if you were unaware of them at the time you made your reservations. The parking garage is owned and operated by the City of Newport News and dictate the overnight parking charge for our guests. The internet charge, while is is given away at many limited service properties, it is a Marriott standard at their full service hotels to charge for the internet.
I apologize in regards to the room and event not being ready for you when it was needed and for a few of the items being misplaced after the event. This is certainly something we will look into as we want to use this opportunity to improve our service for the future.
Thank you again for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on the event and for choosing to stay at the Newport News Marriott at City Center.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 19 June 2014

This hotel is fairly new. Everything is new and fresh. As with all Marriott's this is a full service hotel. The rooms, staff and food were all top notch. The fountains outside the hotel are beautiful. If working in this area again I will stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank BootsyDawg
Tim B, Manager at Marriott Hotel Newport News at City Center, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful comments about your stay with us at the Newport News Marriott! We were excited to hear that not only was our team able to exceed your expectations, but that you will give us the opportunity to serve you again. We look forward to your next visit.
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Beware if you are under 60, the hotel is only for those with lots of disposable income. They charge extra for parking, Internet, and breakfast. Marriott is really out of touch with the next generation of hotel shoppers. I take responsibility for missing some details on the hotel homepage but paying for parking, Internet, and breakfast is not winning me over to stay at Marriott. This is not a big city nor a luxury hotel. What happens when the current generation of hotel visitors stops leaving home and vacationing. Or better yet what happens when good corporate citizens stop going for the name brand and shop via social media and instant connections. This hotel is not doing anything to connect with younger as well as up and coming hotel visitors. Even fast food restaurants offer FREE Internet access. Marriott is out of touch and its time my family and I start looking for another hotel chain.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Jonathan S
Renee W, Guest Relations Manager at Marriott Hotel Newport News at City Center, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Thank you for sharing your opinion on Trip Advisor. I understand you were frustrated and disappointed with the additional charges at our hotel. It is a full service Marriott hotel standard to charge for the internet in the guestrooms. We have a tiered internet process that allow our guests to choose the amount of bandwidth they will require. We do offer complimentary internet from our lobby, restaurant and bar for the convenience of our guests. There are other Marriott hotels in the area that do offer complimentary internet, breakfast, and parking, such as the two Courtyards, the Residence Inn and the Townplace Suites, that might offer you accommodations that would meet your needs during any future visits to the Newport News area.

Thank you again for the information and for staying with us at the Newport News Marriott at City Center.
Newport News
Reviewed 15 May 2014

There are truly no words to describe how spectacular my stay here was. But I will try to express my experience as best I can. When checking in, I was struck by how friendly and helpful everyone was. I felt like each employee was happy to be there, which made me happy to be there! The service was above and beyond anything I have ever encountered in a hotel before. The room was everything I ever wanted: beautiful, clean, and luxurious. The bed was far more comfortable than my own at home! My overall experience was so enjoyable, that I never wanted to leave! I highly recommend this hotel and will never stay anywhere else in Newport News. Can I just move in?

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank scarpenter00
On behalf of the entire Newport News Marriott team, thank you for all your positive comments you have shared. We are so pleased to hear about your wonderful stay with us and that we are your hotel of choice for the future! We look forward to serving you again soon.