“Average 2.5 Star Hotel - You Get What You Pay For”

Best Western Plus Newport News Inn & Suites
Ranked #12 of 38 Hotels in Newport News
Baltimore, Maryland
“Average 2.5 Star Hotel - You Get What You Pay For”
Reviewed 13 March 2011

Best Western was the best option we had in the area for the time we were there. It is a 2.5 star hotel, so I didn't expect much and didn't get much either. Was in a suite for 2 nights and the hotel was average for its star rating. Toilet had hot water in it, which was confusing, and you could tell they tried to clean the smell of smoke out of the room. Entire hallway smelled like smoke. Staff did the best with what the hotel is, and in the end you get what you pay for.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank cmb88
dhrumit, Manager at Best Western Plus Newport News Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 29 March 2011
Dear MR.PITT,

I’m concerned about the recent problems you experienced with the smell in the corridor at our hotel during your recent visit. I’m writing to thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to my attention.

A hotel is defined by the quality of service that it provides to its guests. Because our success is measured by how our guests evaluate our services and facilities, I want you to know the comments and suggestions we receive are taken seriously. They tell us what we’re doing right, what we’re doing wrong and how we can improve. Your willingness to share your recent experience is genuinely appreciated.

Please be assured that the issues you have raised have been addressed, and do our best to prevent problems from recurring.

Again, I want to thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us. There’s no excuse for anything less than complete guest satisfaction. That’s our goal.

Karan Shah
General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 2 October 2010

As a Truck Driver , after I arrive , it is hard to find a good place to park a tractor-trailer,, so thanks to people on staff ( Joel ), I have found many GREAT places to eat. Thanks to Cindy I have found a branch of my bank that I can walk to........The entire STAFF has always been helpful and pleasent ,, always SMILING and rready to HELP. I stay only 1 (one) night a week every week or two.. I can always rely on getting a room,, they even know my voice when I call.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank snoopy5551
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 30 September 2010

My family and I stayed at the Best Western in Newport News, Va in September of this year. The hotel has a great location, near to a large number of restaurants and shopping. The rooms were sparkling clean. The service provided was outstanding! We had a special need for our check out time and the staff went out of their way to accomodate us.
Excellent place to stay in Newport News at an excellent price!!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank desert1032
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 29 September 2010

We enjoyed our stay and would highly recommend this hotel for leisure or business. This is a great location, easy access to/from the airport, shopping and local activities.

I was looking for a hotel with a reasonable rate and in a specific location. There rate wasn’t the lowest, but based on the room type (mini suite), amenities (free breakfast) and location I booked the hotel. The best rate available required prepayment was non refundable. I needed five nights and was hesitant to lock into the rate because of the reviews. I confirmed three nights and ended up extending my stay the additional nights at this location with no hesitation.

The hotel staff was most accommodating, very friendly and definitely knew how to make guest feel welcome! Checking in/out was efficient and fast. Service was great in all aspects.

Rooms are big and very comfortable. They are a great size for a family. The only minor snag was an odor in the hallway (nothing a little air freshener couldn’t fix).

I would not hesitate to stay with them again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank Shopgirl2009
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 4 August 2010

We stayed at the Best Western for 1 night on our way to the Outer Banks. The front desk attendant was friendly and helpful, and the room was nicely decorated and clean. Our major problem, and it was a big one, was that the air conditioner was INCREDIBLY noisy. I have no idea if it is like that in every room, but I set it to 72 degrees, and made sure the mode was on AUTO, and not FAN ON... but the air conditioner stayed on continually the entire night, and I kid you not, it sounded almost like a freight train was going through the parking lot at 40mph. It was loud. Gladly, our 3 year old can sleep through just about anything and only woke up 1-2 times... My wife and I were kept awake by it for a long time, and then woken up by it several times from 4:30am on... we finally gave up at about 6:30am.

The breakfast was nice, not great. The breakfast area is definitely crowded, and everyone waits for the one waffle maker.

The exercise room was empty at 7:30am, and it is a small room with about 6 pieces of equipment (treadmill, 2 stair climbers, leg extension, leg curl, and multi-exercise lat-pull type machine).

We are heading back that way at the end of the week, but we will not consider staying there again - and are hesitant to stay and another Best Western, but probably will at some point as I am sure this is not a consistent problem at other locations.

My advice - If you stay at the Best Western in Newport News... Bring Earplugs.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Chris779
Kjshah1217, Manager at Best Western Plus Newport News Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 20 September 2010
Let me start by thanking you for completing Guest Survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

Again, I apologize for the inconvenience during your stay and hope to see you during your next visit.

If I can provide any assistance, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 7579521182.

Karan Shah
General manager
Lansing, North Carolina
Reviewed 6 June 2010

Jacobie was there to greet us upon our arrival. He was through, friendly and answered all my questions as well as provided information about the hotel. The rates were great and traveling with 2 teenage boys, the breakfast bar was "a must". The room itself was plenty spacious and clean, but the view from the hotel window was horribile. When we opened our curtains, all we saw was a 6 foot privacy fence. that was the worst part of the trip. I would definetly stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Purcellville, Virginia
Reviewed 1 May 2010

I usually do not stay in hotels such as Best Westerns (usually Hampton Inn's are the most casual I stay in) but there was a good deal going on so we gave it a try. This hotel was in a pretty good location and the staff were mostly friendly, but that was the extent of the good attributes of this hotel. The room was very dirty, from the floors, to the radiator, to the bathroom. The first sheet had a mark on it, so I put another sheet on top. The remote would not work, and could not be fixed, so we were given a new one, and the hallways were very dark, and the whole hotel had a musty smell. The couch and bed were not comfortable and rather dated. Based on this unfortunate experience I would not stay in this or any other Best Western again.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family