“Worse the 2nd Time Around”

Best Western Plus Newport News Inn & Suites
Ranked #11 of 40 Hotels in Newport News
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I stayed at this property several times 2-3 years ago on business and was very pleased with what this hotel had to offer. So, when thinking about a Labor Day getaway for my wife and me, I made reservations here for 2 nights, 8/30 and 8/31. Upon arriving, we were greeted cheerfully at the front desk. Very nice first impression. We were given our room key cards and proceeded to Room 223 which is the last room on the left on the 2nd floor. Great, I thought. We won't be hearing the elevator or ice machine noises in the middle of the night.

Upon entering, we both noticed that the bathroom reeked of tobacco smoke. I mean really bad. I had requested a non-smoking room and didn't expect this. Since the rest of the room smelled OK when the bathroom door was shut, I thought we could live with this.We left for dinner and returned around 8:00 pm ready to stay in for the night.

When attempting to lock the door, I noticed the dead bolt did not work. However, one still needed a key card to enter and I used the privacy lock at the top of the door so I felt reasonably safe. I then shut the drapes and noticed there was a fitting for a plastic air deflector but there was not an actual deflector. This means the airflow from the air conditioner went behind the drape instead of into the room. The temperature was still comfortable so we watched some TV and dozed off. By 4:00 am in the morning, it was starting to get uncomfortably warm so I placed a suitcase on top of the a/c unit to keep the drapes back.

Went down for breakfast the next morning and the spread they put out is good. Not gourmet, mind you, but there is cereal, scrambled eggs and sausage, bagels, toast, fruit, coffee and juices. Great feature. Before I left for the day, I notified the person at the front desk of the issues we had with the room; mainly the dead bolt and the lack of an air deflector. I watched her write them down and she told me that Maintenance would take care of everything. I asked if Maintenance was there on a Saturday and was told they were.

When we returned that afternoon, we were greeted by the same person who greeted us the previous day. When I entered the room, I noted that there was no air deflector and that the dead bolt still did not work. We showered and prepared to go out for dinner. On the way out, I told the person at the front desk about our issues and about the fact that we made the morning desk person aware of things. She said that Maintenance did not work on Saturday but she did see the piece of paper that listed my issues. As I was walking out the front door, she called and said she had found someone who could fix the dead bolt but that there were no air deflectors. OK, I thought, we'll just do the suitcase trick again and the door will be secure.

When we returned to our room, not only was the dead bolt not working but the key card lock was not fully locking the door. I called down to the front desk and was told to wait about an hour and someone would be there to fix it. I told the person that this was our mini vacation and I did not feel I should have to sit in a hotel room for at least an hour. I also felt we could not leave the room since anyone could enter. I told the front desk person I was checking out.

The front desk person never offered to provide us with another room. She did offer to see if I wanted her to see if she could get us into another of the Best Western hotels in Hampton Roads. It was late. I was tired. I don't know the area all that well and it was getting dark. I said no but no thanks and my wife and I drove home cutting our vacation short by a day.

On the positive side of this, the front desk person did not charge me for a second night which I thought was pretty good. In addition, after I contacted Corporate offices on a Sunday morning via email, I was contacted by phone that evening. They credited my rewards account with extra points which was a nice gesture. I also received an email from the hotel manager apologizing for the problems. These were really nice steps made by Best Western in an effort to keep my business and I really appreciate it.

What I don't appreciate is the fact that I was not told the truth concerning the availability of Maintenance. I also don't like going into a room that reeked of tobacco smoke. Would I go back to this particular hotel? With so many other options within 1 mile, probably not. I would give Best Western another chance at another location but would be very much on guard for problems.

Room Tip: Make sure you check all the room functions upon check-in.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 31 August 2013

We were very surprised and impressed with the room. Very big and in great shape. The location is close to the airport and in easy walking distance to the mall and many restaurants. The room wasnt ready at 2 (the advertised check-in time), and we had to wait for towels. We would most likely stay here again if we were passing through.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank AFMojo
Reviewed 30 August 2013

We stayed at the Best Western Plus for five days in August. When we checked in our room did have a slight odor. It seemed as if the room had not been used in a while and the odor was trapped inside the room. After going out for the day the room still did not smell any better; I brought the situation to the attention of the staff and they very quickly changed and upgraded our room. I am not one to complain but when I did the complaint was handled quickly and efficiently. I had two thirteen year old boys with me so the pool and breakfast worked well. Everything was very clean and well kept. We have stayed here once in the past and would return. If you need anything at all Marla will take care of you. Marla you are the best, thank you so much for everything.

3  Thank Stephanie R
Reviewed 26 August 2013

My very first review! Excellent service there! Staff, especially the lady in the front desk, was super nice and friendly. Clean room and bathroom! Enjoyed our 2 night stay there very much. We also enjoyed the hot tub. Although the staff was nice enough to raise the temperature, the temperature could've been little higher but still nice... nice neighborhood with all different restaurants all around the hotel. Would definitely go back to that place!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank 676annab
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We stayed at the Best Western Plus in Newport News for 4 nights. This hotel is centrally located (we were going to Busch Gardens, Colonial Williamsburg and Virginia Beach). The staff was excellent and the hotel was very nice. We had a mini-suite. We had 2 queen beds in one room and the second room had a sleeper sofa. For the 4 of us, this room worked out great! Plenty of room to move around. The hotel was clean, breakfast was good. There is a pool and hot tub. I had the hot tub all to myself one morning. Close to restaurants and even a mall. I would certainly stay here again!

Room Tip: If you have older children, get a mini suite. You will be happy for the additional space!
1  Thank NittanyLee
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Ours was an over-night stay. Lobby and grounds were clean. Pool was clean. Towels are provided at the pool. Front desk staff friendly and helpful. Hallways were stuffy and warm. Room a/c worked great! Room and bathroom very clean.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 August 2013

This hotel has improved considerably since we stayed 3 years ago. The room was impecably clean and spacious. The bedding was new and the bed comfortable. The pool area was appealing with cushions for the sunbeds. This was one of the best hotels we stayed in during our 4 weeks in the States

Review collected in partnership with Best Western