“Family Trip”

Ranked #12 of 38 Hotels in Newport News
Virginia
“Family Trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

My family and I visit this property to attend the Homecoming in Hampton Virginia (15 mins away). I booked this hotel due to the rating on TripAdvisor. This hotel was easy to find off the highway and located in a safe quiet area. The lobby area was clean and the staff for the most part was very inviting. The lady Marla and the gentleman checking us in was very polite and profession. I can't say the same for the lady there on Sunday morning. I decided to not even check out at the desk due to her noticeable attitude. The room we had was on the first floor. This room was spacious and clean. I was surprise at the size of the bathroom as it was very spacious. The second room my family had was spacious and clean as well with a smaller bathroom. You could tell when getting off the elevator on their floor (third) it had smoking rooms. The housekeeping staff was very polite when in the hallways. On Sunday morning we did partake in the complimentary breakfast. It was very night to start the day with hot foods. It was appetizing and my family had no complaints. I would recommend this property, and I can say my family and I will use the property for our trips to the area when we go visit our student at Hampton University.

Room Tip: First floor is quiet
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
thunder bay
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

We booked this hotel despite reading some of the negative reviews. Generally we have always had good luck with Best Western hotels and this was no exception.

Clean large lobby, friendly staff at check in. We booked a king size room - it was very large and spacious. Room had a couch, chair, desk, large flat screen television along with a fridge and microwave. It was definitely worth the value we paid for the room.The bed was very comfortable and pillows were nice and fluffy.

Continental breakfast was included and the breakfast area was very clean, Had your average selection of cereals, pastries, waffles, eggs, fruit, yogurt, sausage and juices to start the day.

The only minor complaint I would have are that the hallways and elevator are a bit musty but I attribute that to the humidity in the area. As well, the carpets in the room are a bit worn but its nothing serious.

The hotel is located around a lot of restaurants and shopping. Stayed here for three nights - great location, good value and we would consider staying here again if in the area.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013

Got stuck in Virginia so I picked this hotel best thing I have done in a long time great people great service great breakfast. Needed clothes as I had nothing packed , Walmart, target,sears Dillard's are close by and an indoor mall. I need to eat to many restaurants to list. If you can stay here.
Some times these reviews are done by employees I'm not there employee. Love this place.

• Stayed September 2013
sicklerville, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

looks great from the outside but once you enter it turns into a complete nightmare. From the staff to the leaking ceiling and broken toilets etc.. Rude employees with no leadership. Front desk left multiple time. Front desk crew sitting in front of the hotel smoking and joking around when there's a line forming at there desk. No one addressed any of our concerns to our satisfaction. The best day in the hotel was check out.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Duluth, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

This hotel was nice. It looked brand new, was clean and comfortable, the check-in attendant was uber friendly, the location was great, and the value was awesome.

This was my third time visiting Newport News. The other two times I stayed at the Residence Inn Airport location. The Residence Inn is nice, but they were a little on the high side of what I was trying to spend this trip. I'm all about paying beer-money prices for some champagne. After my stay at the Best Western this time, I would absolutely recommend staying at this BW instead of the RI, to save yourself $30 for the same perks.

First of all, I MUST say the check-in attendant was SOOO nice. He was friendly and conversational. He used lots of pleasantries and just seemed genuinely happy to be there. He asked me a few questions to see if I qualified for any discounts on the room (which I thought was nice since most hotels want to charge you as much as possible for walk-in bookings). I stayed in a "1 King Bed" room.

I was surprised by how nice this room was for the low price. The entire room was very clean, comfortable, and roomy. There was a large sized TV in the room... I'm guessing 40". The air/heat was "wall controlled" but it still had the "under-the-window" setup. There is a microwave, fridge, and one-cup coffee maker in the room. The fridge was a little on the noisy side at night because it hums loudly (I think this is the noise one of the other reviewers may have been referring to). But it's kind of like living near a train or with children: after a few minutes of it, you learn to tune it out.

The bed was clean, plush, and comforting. It had an abundance of pillows and they were great. The sheets, comforter, pillows AND mattress were all very clean (I'm one of those paranoid people who checks all that kind of stuff). There was a plethora of lamps so you could set the lighting to your liking. Lots of sitting and working space. And I would definitely like to note the recycle bin next to the trash can in the room because I'm a recycler and I love to see hotels do that now-a-days.

The bathroom was set up where the shower and toilet were in a closed off room but the sink was inside the room itself. I'm sure this was designed purposely to let ppl wash their hands and whatnot while others take a shower/use the bathroom, so this was nice. BUT for my OCD, nit-picky people, there was a small "hole" in the bathroom where the showerhead meets the wall. There were also some noticeable stains in the shower around the grab-bar and the wall. I'm going to say the stains were rust and definitely not mildew or dirt (see pics)... but they were large and pronounced none-the-less and probably could've been cleaned easily with some CLR if someone had tried. Outside of these two spots, the rest of the room was extremely clean and well kept. The water pressure was lovely. I didn't mess with the showerhead but I don't think it was one of those adjustable-water-style types (for those who want to know that sort of thing).

There is a fitness room, pool (outdoor), business center, free in-room WiFi and internet, and the staff will even provide you an Ethernet cable if you want to hard-wire in. They have free breakfast with a decent selection (eggs, sausage, cereal, bagels, yogurt, oatmeal, waffles, etc.). My room was close to the ice machine, soda machine, and elevator. Surprisingly I didn't hear as much noise at night as I did during the day when it sounded like the ice machine was self-cleaning itself. And to segue to the elevators... they smelled. It smelled like something wet and sour (old mop water??) was in the elevator carpet that needed to be cleaned up. I'm sure this smell was temporary and something that could be eliminated with a good steam cleaning, but it was noticeable and there both days.

The location was great. It was close to everything. All kinds of shopping and restaurants within walking distance (IIIII didn't walk because I'm too lazy for that... but for those of you into that sort of thing, there are things extremely close by for you to walk to.) My window view was nice because I could see some plush grass/trees. All around the hotel looks new, inside and out, and the area is a very nice, quiet area during the day and evening despite being in what seemed like the middle of the city.

If you are trying to decide on a place in Newport News, I would recommend a stay here. I took a few pics. Hope this review helps you. :-)

Room Tip: Book online. You can almost always save $10 off the regular walk-in rate by going to Best Western...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013

front desk who just came on shift gave me a room. When entering the room there were people already there smoking in a non smoking room, frontdesk gave me another room but I had to put up with a humming sound every 5 minutes. It was not the ice machine because I was 4 rooms away. Good part was location.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Richmond, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

I stayed at this property several times 2-3 years ago on business and was very pleased with what this hotel had to offer. So, when thinking about a Labor Day getaway for my wife and me, I made reservations here for 2 nights, 8/30 and 8/31. Upon arriving, we were greeted cheerfully at the front desk. Very nice first impression. We were given our room key cards and proceeded to Room 223 which is the last room on the left on the 2nd floor. Great, I thought. We won't be hearing the elevator or ice machine noises in the middle of the night.

Upon entering, we both noticed that the bathroom reeked of tobacco smoke. I mean really bad. I had requested a non-smoking room and didn't expect this. Since the rest of the room smelled OK when the bathroom door was shut, I thought we could live with this.We left for dinner and returned around 8:00 pm ready to stay in for the night.

When attempting to lock the door, I noticed the dead bolt did not work. However, one still needed a key card to enter and I used the privacy lock at the top of the door so I felt reasonably safe. I then shut the drapes and noticed there was a fitting for a plastic air deflector but there was not an actual deflector. This means the airflow from the air conditioner went behind the drape instead of into the room. The temperature was still comfortable so we watched some TV and dozed off. By 4:00 am in the morning, it was starting to get uncomfortably warm so I placed a suitcase on top of the a/c unit to keep the drapes back.

Went down for breakfast the next morning and the spread they put out is good. Not gourmet, mind you, but there is cereal, scrambled eggs and sausage, bagels, toast, fruit, coffee and juices. Great feature. Before I left for the day, I notified the person at the front desk of the issues we had with the room; mainly the dead bolt and the lack of an air deflector. I watched her write them down and she told me that Maintenance would take care of everything. I asked if Maintenance was there on a Saturday and was told they were.

When we returned that afternoon, we were greeted by the same person who greeted us the previous day. When I entered the room, I noted that there was no air deflector and that the dead bolt still did not work. We showered and prepared to go out for dinner. On the way out, I told the person at the front desk about our issues and about the fact that we made the morning desk person aware of things. She said that Maintenance did not work on Saturday but she did see the piece of paper that listed my issues. As I was walking out the front door, she called and said she had found someone who could fix the dead bolt but that there were no air deflectors. OK, I thought, we'll just do the suitcase trick again and the door will be secure.

When we returned to our room, not only was the dead bolt not working but the key card lock was not fully locking the door. I called down to the front desk and was told to wait about an hour and someone would be there to fix it. I told the person that this was our mini vacation and I did not feel I should have to sit in a hotel room for at least an hour. I also felt we could not leave the room since anyone could enter. I told the front desk person I was checking out.

The front desk person never offered to provide us with another room. She did offer to see if I wanted her to see if she could get us into another of the Best Western hotels in Hampton Roads. It was late. I was tired. I don't know the area all that well and it was getting dark. I said no but no thanks and my wife and I drove home cutting our vacation short by a day.

On the positive side of this, the front desk person did not charge me for a second night which I thought was pretty good. In addition, after I contacted Corporate offices on a Sunday morning via email, I was contacted by phone that evening. They credited my rewards account with extra points which was a nice gesture. I also received an email from the hotel manager apologizing for the problems. These were really nice steps made by Best Western in an effort to keep my business and I really appreciate it.

What I don't appreciate is the fact that I was not told the truth concerning the availability of Maintenance. I also don't like going into a room that reeked of tobacco smoke. Would I go back to this particular hotel? With so many other options within 1 mile, probably not. I would give Best Western another chance at another location but would be very much on guard for problems.

Room Tip: Make sure you check all the room functions upon check-in.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple