“Quiet and clean”

Ranked #10 of 38 Hotels in Newport News
Burgaw
“Quiet and clean”
Reviewed 15 December 2011

We stayed two nights and it was a very good experience. The rooms (our daughter and husband had the adjoining room) were spotless and very comfortable. The beds had full size pillows, as opposed to the little "designer" pillows that we have been finding lately. The staff was very accommodating and pleasant. Even though we were at the airport, we had no noise issues. The breakfast was well supplied with the usual fare. Two hot items and waffles available. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: #rd floor is extremely quiet.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Milford, New Hampshire
Reviewed 5 December 2011

I stayed one night in a king bed room. Bed was very comfortable, HVAC worked great, and the continental breakfast was excellent with a wide array of food and decent selection of beverages. I thought the price was in line with the amenities, cleanliness and condition of the hotel. I did not notice any airplane traffic noise, and the airport is just short of a mile away. The only thing that surprised me was that when I called down to the front desk at about 9:30pm to ask about the shuttle service no one answered the phone, despite letting it ring several times; if I was having an emergency this would have been frustrating. I looked through the hotel information book in my room and did find the info I needed, so I didn't call a second time. When I came downstairs the next morning, ready to leave, I told the front desk person I would be taking the 7am shuttle and he quickly notified the driver who took me to the airport promptly; he was very courteous and professional and so was the gentleman at the front desk. Overall I was very happy with my stay. I would have given 5 for Service if not for the phone thing.

Room Tip: I don't have a tip about the room, but if you are going to rent a car there is an Enterprise car...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
lleib, Director of Sales at Comfort Suites Airport, responded to this review, 6 December 2011
Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback to us! We truly appreciate your comments and are glad that your stay was enjoyable. I do want to apologize for the lack of response to your initial phone call. We hope that you will contact us again should your travel plans bring you back to the Newport News area. Lori Leib - Director of Sales
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 2 November 2011

Three of us stayed here for two nights. This hotel is convenient to the Newport News airport (you can hear the planes, but it's not a busy airport so only minimal inconvenience) and Williamsburg. It is on the main strip, right beside Olive Garden and Red Lobster (walking distance) and a handful of other shops and restaurants nearby. Rooms were clean, not as spacious as other Comfort Suites I've stayed in, but doable. Using the pull out sofa bed made it difficult to walk around the room. A little disappointed they do not have 2 doubles and a sofa (only king and sofa). Staff was friendly and pleasant and always greeted me. Breakfast was excellent with more selections than most Choice hotels. Definitely a great stay in a great location and I would stay there again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank TrvlingMyBucketList
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 1 November 2011

I have a daughter that is in the U.S. ARMY so I was only in Newport News for that reason. My first Stay was on 9/29/2011. My plain didnt arrive till midnight in Newport News so I didnt check in till the a.m. hours on 9/30/2011. My daughter was graduating from A.I.T. training with the U.S.ARMY. My air contioner kept going out. The manager had sent me a email and told me that next time I was in town they would accommodate me and to let her know. My SOLDIER was leaving for KOREA for a year on 10/22/2011. So as per their email to accommodate me for my next visit I called to verify this was so per management. Bottom line I was charged more for my second visit than I was for the original visit after being told my accommadations will be taken care of. To date I have not been made whole for me or my SOLDIERS last visit!!! AS I will not see her for a whole year because she will be in KOREA I think this was a horrible way to send her off with these memories of her mom(me) being charged for a room when I was only in town for her. :-(

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank holman0426
Chardon, Ohio
Reviewed 11 October 2011

We stayed, while visiting friends, at this Comfort Suite for 4 days. It was wonderful!

We had a king sized bed/couch suite along with a microwave and refrigerator. Clean, adequately stocked with towels and no-hassle check-in/out. The staff was friendly and easy to talk to. Not uptight and unapproachable.

Our room faced the back of the hotel which looked into the woods. Beautiful pine trees and the changing of the leaves. Peaceful. The only time we heard anyone while we were in our room was when the cleaning people had their carts out around 9:30 am.

They have a 24/hour "office/computer" area near the lobby. I was able to look up my flight and print my boarding pass. VERY convenient!

We did eat the free breakfast they offered downstairs. It was great! Prepared omelettes, biscuits and gravy, sausage, fresh Belgian waffles, three kinds of juices, cereal, fresh fruit, yogurt.

Oh, and get this...EVERY DAY at 4:00 pm, you get fresh baked chocolate chip cookies in the lobby! Who does that? It was so cool!!

I would stay here again without hesitation!

Room Tip: I would choose a room in the back of the hotel to look out into the woods/trees.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Toronto
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We stayed in this hotel for 7 nights at the beginning of August. It is located convenient if you want to spend some time in Virginia Beach and Visit Williamsburg as well. It takes about 30 minutes to get to both places. There are few restaurant within walking distance as well as shipping.
Hotel itself is nice and clean. Breakfast is basic but good enough to start the day. Area is also safe. I would definitely recommend it.
Rooms with two queen size beds do not have sofabed as indicated.

Room Tip: Booked through www.priceline.com - better rate than hotel directly
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Piscataway, New Jersey
Reviewed 30 August 2011

We selected this comfort suites based on TA reports ( as usual) for a weekend trip to WBurg/ BG; Location was very good; took us no longer than 20 mins. to historical WBurg or Busch Gardens. Hotel is surrounded by chain shopping stores & restaurants w/n walking distance. The room is not as large or comfy as the newer C Sutes, It looks & feels just like a standard hotel room reconfigued to mimic a studio suite. Breakfast is the standard fair. Hotel has a small gym & pool; Free internet connection worked very well. Housekeeping left garbage from the previous guest in our room, however, the staff responded quickly to remove it ; room cleanliness was ok otherwise. The carpets in the hallway are stained; but I have seen this in 4 star hotels also, so it would not prevent me from selecting this hotel again. I was, however, very disappointed that a hotel in such a high volume tourist area only has 2 luggage carts. We had to wait for a very long time to to transport our luggage to our car at checkout time. Other than that it is an ok -place to stay for a couple of days.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Luvtravel
lleib, Director of Sales at Comfort Suites Airport, responded to this review, 7 September 2011
Thanks for your feedback and for your business! We hope that you will consider us again should your travel plans bring you back to Newport News/Busch Gardens. We are very sorry that you had an extended wait time for the luggage cart. We will consider your suggestion to increase the number of carts on property. Lori Leib ~ Director of Sales