“Husband enjoyed”

Cuisines: Delicatessen
Smithfield, Virginia
“Husband enjoyed”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We were in Newport News and decided to try out Danny's. This place has been around for a long time in a shopping center. As a child I went with my parents a lot when it was under the original owners. The owners now keep the place clean and there are lots of pictures etc. to keep you busy while you wait (short wait) for your food. The waitress was very friendly and we both got the hot pastrami with cheese (came with a few chips) and a drink. My husband really liked the pastrami but my favorite was the dill pickles you get in a bowl before the food comes. We enjoyed our visit but thought it was a little pricey for just a sandwich. A true deli from the past.

• Visited June 2014

Newport News, Virginia
“Best deli on the peninsula”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Great place where the staff get to know you and treat you well. Love all the great sandwiches. Wonderful chicken salad too! The pickles are the best.

Visited February 2014
Newport News, Virginia
“Good Deli Food From a Hometown Favorite”
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Danny's never disappoints. Offers standard deli fare (I love their chicken salad) and signature dill pickle slices with chips or other sides (potato salad, fries, etc). Atmosphere is very much a "lunch counter" type feel (but they do have wooden booths). Service is prompt and efficient. Family atmosphere. They always remember me when I visit and consistent food and service make Danny's a good lunch stop in Newport News. Check hours before visiting.

Visited January 2014
Muskegon, MI
“Danny's Regular - A Shadow Of It's Former Self”
Reviewed 16 December 2013

We went to Danny's to feed an old habit. Their Danny's Regular Sub was our favorite when we lived there. We went after every Doctors visit when I was pregnant with both of my kids. So we were really excited to find it was still open since our last visit was fifteen years prior. We walked inside and nothing much had changed.

The dill pickles they serve are still amazing! And while the sub still tasted the same, it was a shadow of its former self. We were told it was because they use longer sub buns now and have to spread out the meat. Even if you stacked up all the meat on one side it wouldn't compare to the 21 layers we use to count - thick and juicy, served hot on a toasted bun. So good

So the craving was filled for the taste of the Danny's Regular, but the former sandwich will have to be a fond memory.

• Visited November 2013
Williamsburg, Virginia
“Dissapointing lunch at Danny's Deli”
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I ordered cold corned beef on rye and onion rings. My wife ordered a club-type sandwich topped with "Kosher bacon," which turned out to be either fried pastrami or shoe leather. The corned beef was rather sparse and very fatty. Half the sandwich was all I was willing to inflict on my arteries. I learned later that I could have ordered lean corned beef. In fact, the proprietor offered to fix me half a lean corned beef sandwich to go. The onion rings, which were very slow in coming (I think the waitress forgot them.), were very greasy and seriously overcooked. That's my first bad lunch at Danny's in many years. By the way, the pickles were very good.

• Visited July 2012