“Chicken You Can't Stop Eating”

Smokey Bones BBQ & Grill
Ranked #73 of 461 Restaurants in Newport News
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We went to Smokey Bones on the evening after a funeral. We were getting together with long lost relatives and so we were doing more talking at first than anything else.

There was about a 10 minute wait at the front to get in, but the staff never rushed us at all. We sat, we ordered drinks, we talked. The waitress attended to our needs, but wasn't rushed to feed 'em and release 'em.

When we finally ordered (and all of the party showed up) we were welcomed with huge plates of food. We were given knives, but quite frankly you won't need them. My ribs pulled apart. And my wife's quarter of a chicken did too.

Only one thing - when you decide to grab a bottle of BBQ sauce and be adventurous, check the handy card supplied with the bottles, at the table. The bottle I picked had some pretty good heat to it. It was good. But surprising.

When we were driving out of the parking lot my wife commented, "That food was so good! I just couldn't quit picking at my chicken!"

And when the wife is happy, I'm happy. :-)

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Be prepared to eat a lot of meat. The food values are great here as long as you are wanting to 'pork out'. Fair BBQ, large portions, poor sides. Great coupons if you are a local, and a good reward program (basically 10%). This is a good value, but not spectacular in any way.

Reviewed 10 December 2013

Since we don't have a Smokey Bones near us, we always take the opportunity to have dinner there when we are near one. Tne Smokey Bones at Newport News is one of our favorites.

The menu is extensive and you can make your own bbq platter. Our favorites are the pulled pork and the wings. It's a good place to bring the kids and you can also watch sports if you can be seated at a table near one of the big-screen TVs.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

My husband & I eat at Smokey Bones frequently. We most always get the fire-grilled pork tenderloin with the chipotle BBQ sauce. In our opinion, this is the best item on the menu. The service is always excellent. There is usually coupons once a month in the Daily Press. The coupons are for $10 off $20. They also have the Bones Club Card where you earn points for each visit. After 200 points, you get $20 added to your card. You can use this $20 in conjunction with a coupon. It is really a great value.

1  Thank KRB21
Reviewed 17 October 2013

My bust, I called in for take out had a burger with fries and nacho chips. I could have gotten my own bag of nacho's put cheese on top and called it supreme and it would have been better. The burger was okay the fries were naturally cold by the time I got them where I was going. I did eat in a few months ago and was still not impressed. Everyone tells me the quality of food has gone down. Will not be returning.

6  Thank Rusty W