“Monty's Penguin”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout
Swanquarter, North Carolina
“Monty's Penguin”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

I have been here before... a couple of years ago and had a milkshake and it was okay. Nothing special. Nothing that you couldn't get at a Cook Out.

Yesterday, Sunday, August 11, 2013... we had the food. My boyfriend is from Newport News. His uncle LIVES in Newport News. Evidently you should order ice cream. The waitress had an attitude. Maybe it was because there were actual people coming in and she had to stop texting on her phone? Not sure. There was only one other person in there when we came in. One table had not even been cleaned off.

The place isn't even a dive. I realize that it has history, but there is nothing good about paying for food that is for the most part, out of a container or the freezer.

Uncle and boyfriend ordered the "chuckwagon"... oh my God. It was a frozen, breaded patty of some sort of meat. It did not look like beef. We later found this "chuckwagon" patty at a Piggly Wiggly grocery store... literally called.. CHUCKWAGON. Ugh. I had what I thought would be different and interesting. Bulgogi. It is a Korean dish that is marinated beef.. TYPICALLY served with lettuce and tomato as a sandwich and sometimes in a lettuce bowl. I could get anything but that...... unless I made it into a sandwich. I figured it would be offered with lettuce and tomato if you ordered a PLATE. So I had fries and CANNED UNSEASONED string beans with ... BULGOGI. I mean.. really?

How hard is it to make real food? We didn't have to wait very long for the food being it was already basically made. And it was not placed in front of us... it was pretty much thrown at us. And the only person that she refilled their drink was my boyfriend. His Uncle and I could have thirsted to death for all she cared.

Could I ever recommend this place to anyone? NO. My boyfriend's Uncle, who is 60+, used to go to this place when he was young. (Per him, this is not the original place Monty's has always been).

I am sure before cell phones and young ones thinking texting was more important than customer service and before we had freezers and we had to cook everything fresh that this place was great.

Please don't go here for a meal. If you feel nostalgic... just get a cone of ice cream or something... but for God's sake... if you have tastes buds of any kind... don't go here.

Sorry. Just my opinion.

• Visited August 2013

Roanoke, Virginia
“Cheap, awesome dive”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2013

Don't be fooled, this is a dive! If you're not in for an adventure, don't go. Booths are falling apart, etc.

That said, my Mom and I have been coming here since I was a little kid. Good food (typical diner food), meals for under $5, I LOVE it! Ice cream cones piled high.

If you're local, give it a try.

• Visited June 2013
Newport News, Virginia
“Good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2012

Good and cheap . Just had a great omlet we both enjoyed . and it was very cheap and very frendly staff

• Visited November 2012
Smithfield, Virginia
“Not much”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2012

Use to live near this restaurant and would not recommend it. The food is not prepared well and tastes greasy. The place is dirty and the bathroom is old and dirty. This place needs updating and someone that can cook.

Newport News, Virginia
“Lacking Customer Service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2012

Have been going to Monty's for several years now. However, will no longer go there. Sent my son over to pick up lunch and when he got home, one of the burgers had no meat! I drove over and brought the meatless burger showing them there was no grease or anything and simply requested the meat. Had to wait a while as she sifted through receipts (as if I was lying) then they had to wait even longer when she reluctantly cooked up a burger for me. I asked if perhaps I could get a new fry since the one I left behind at home would be cold by the time I returned and the manger said "it was an honest mistake, sorry, you will have to pay for the fries." Considering I wasted my time and gas one would think they could do something to make it up...but nope, nothing.

• Visited July 2012