“warm, friendly folks”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Grotta
Ranked #1 of 57 Hotels in Naxos Town
Reviewed 5 July 2010

At the risk of repeating other reviewers, I just want to say that Hotel Grottas #1 rating is well-deserved. My husband and I stayed for 8 nights in early June , and I can honestly say that I've never stayed at a hotel where the owners and staff have been so hospitable and helpful.Dmitris picked us up at the port and was always ready with a smile and advice. "Mama" is rightly famous for her delicious breakfasts of homemade goodies, my favorite being the fig and cheese tart, a little bit of savoury with the sweet. My mouth waters just thinking of it.We were welcomed by Nikoletta offering us a welcome drink of the island's famous kitron or her Dad's (Adonis ) delicious homemade wine. The wine became a daily habit-before watching the sunset and a walk to town for dinner, we would relax in their comfortable lounge with a glass, check our emails ( free ), and talk a little with Marie, the very friendly receptionist. Nikoletta went above and beyond. She has a lovely sense of humor and took time out of her own schedule to give us a tour of the restored olive press she and her husband own. We met her lovely son and then Adonis took us to his wine cellar and family church and showed us his beautiful garden.Who says you have to speak Greek?( Though it's always nice to give it a try ). With a hand on his heart and a smile, he conveyed all that was needed.and made my 3rd trip to Naxos ( our 1st at Grotta ) my most special.You will not be disappointed if you stay there. The beach is not so nice, but the views are and worth it if you have a sea view room. From there you can watch the memorable sunsets. St George beach is certainly walkable and many restaurants are 5-10 minutes walk away from the hotel. Do rent a car( they can arrange delivery at the hotel ) to see the mountain villages-so many excellent and unusual photo ops. Everyone we met was so friendly and very willing to " make conversation" and especially because of Grotta and the Lionas family, our 5th trip to Greece was our best!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank daydream11
Write a ReviewReviews (1,308)

Reviewed 30 June 2010

Great place, and great people...very accomodating and it has that famiyish feeling about it....we spent 3 days here, easy access to Naxos attractions, the owners had plenty of suggestions for things to do and were very hospitable...will pick you up from the ferry and take you back to when you need to depart...

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2010

My wife and I stayed for four or five nights in May 2010 in a sea-view room on the ground floor, which had a small patio attached. The room was clean and comfortable, although not luxurious. The rate included breakfast, which was certainly the best spread we encountered anywhere in Greece, and included many baked items, as well as the usual cereals, fruit, bread and eggs. I endorse what other reviewers have said about the staff and the quality of service. The atmosphere of the hotel is friendly and informal, and one feels a little sad when the time comes to leave! It would be wrong to single anyone out for special praise, but I particularly appreciated Dimitris' preparedness to drive us to and from the port when arriving and leaving, loan of maps, and sound advice about things to do. He also arranged for a hire-car to be brought to the hotel for us so that we did not have to go downtown to pick it up.
Grotta is a little bit out of town - about 5 minutes walk, but its waterfront location and lovely views of the sea, of Paros across the channel, and of the Temple of Apollo mean that one has no reason to complain. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 June 2010

The Hotel Grotta is a friendly place. The family that runs the hotel are very accommodating and hospitable. There is a bit of a walk in to the main harbor over a hill, but the location makes it worth it. We were given a free drink on arrival and an ocean view room when we asked for one. The pool is small and the hot tub was a bit dirty, but it was inside a small room and I am sure it was hard to keep it clean. We loved the island and hope to return.

Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 June 2010

Unfortunately I was sick while staying at this hotel so spent most of the time indoors but I cannot fault the staff who were so caring and helpful - they put myself and my friend into a small apartment so I would have cooking facilities if I needed them, rather than a normal room. I didn't see a lot of the main hotel but it was very nice and had a small pool and spa downstairs - if only I could have used them! There is no facilities to get food apart from breakfast, but they are very happy to order anything for you, as I had to do a couple of times.
I would definitey stay here again if/when I come to Naxos, especially since I was offered free accommodation!!
There is a walk down to the shops/beach etc but it isn't too far - the hotel seems to be in a good location.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 June 2010

Arrived at 10pm on ferry from Syros along with another couple. they were whisked to their room with a complimentary drink. We were told a room was not available for us. After some arguement we got a refund and a free room in his "cousin's" hotel, which was not to our taste.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
11  Thank jsm101
Reviewed 17 June 2010

This is a fantastic hotel! Of the four hotels we stayed in throughout our two-week Grecian vacation, this was by far the best. Accommodations are basic and comfortable, but spotlessly clean. Our room had a view of the sea and of Naxos Town, and the breakfast is absolutely a highlight, and includes a wide variety of HOMEMADE and authentic cakes - both sweet and savory. There is also yogurt, fruit, vegetables, cheese eggs (cooked and hard boiled), coffee, tea, juice - you name it.

Probably the best part about this hotel is the hospitable staff. It's a family-owned establishment, and the owners take great pride in making you feel at home. In fact, our hosts surprised us one evening with a lovely bottle of wine because they remembered that we were traveling to celebrate a wedding anniversary. It was a lovely surprise, and made for a lovely memory. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Naxos!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
#7 of 57 in Naxos Town
Galaxy Hotel
Galaxy Hotel
#8 of 57 in Naxos Town

Been to Hotel Grotta? Share your experiences!