“6 stars”
Review of Hotel Galini

Hotel Galini
Ranked #5 of 58 Hotels in Naxos Town
Reviewed 3 October 2013

This is a 5 start review of the amazing Hotel Galini and Sofia. This review is also a travel advisory for anyone travelling on to Santorini after Naxos as I did.

I came to Naxos for 4 days not really expecting anything other than a continuation of my amazing Greek island hopping trip. George, the owner along with his wonderful extended family, is your host and he greets you on arrival. From the start he invited me to site down with a refreshing welcome drink. I love a welcome drinks. Why don't more people do this? It's time to relax. Congratulations, you've arrived in a Grecian island paradise.- Naxos.

You stay here because, like me, you're looking to immerse yourself into Greek culture, that means food, ancient sites, amazing landscapes, fabulous architecture, friendly people. Greeks just seem to enjoy life more than everyone else. George's place is home base for your authentically Greek experience.

The breakfast included with our room was absolutely first rate. Great coffee, fruit and all the basics are all there. I'd come to expect these things but then I discovered that the Greek yogurt of your dreams awaits you each morning along with umpteen different kinds of preserves, most (if not all), are home made by George and/or his family. I tried to linger each morning with a book or visit with the other guests on the terrace so that breakfast would last a little longer. In fact my whole stay I just wanted to linger a little bit longer. Just squeeze out a little more out of each day. In retrospect it was all over way too quickly.

I rented a car for 2 days and visited the countryside, mountains, ancient monuments and remote beaches of Naxos. If you have 3 days in Naxos, make sure you take advantage of your time here and visit these treasures.

A few basics - The location of the hotel is perfect, just a bit out of town, easy walking distance, but really close to the square, and St. George's beach (perfect for small kids) is spread out before you. The room is functional and includes all the basics - WIFI, a normal bathroom and a generous space to occupy. At 55 euros a night, my room was a tremendous value. Like a few other hotels I'd seen on this trip to Greece, guests return to Hotl Galini & Sofia year after year. One Norwegian lady I met during my stay has been staying here every year since the 1970's.

I was in Naxos for the last week of September. Things were definitely slow, but in a wonderful way, A happy flow of tourists and locals amble their way along the friendly lanes and streets around town, There was always a table at any of the best restaurants. What a luxury this turned out to be: plenty of space for strolling around anytime night or day, popping into this place or that. So nice.

This was not the case for my next destination - Santorini, which sadly was a big regret. I am here now, and even though it's the first week of October, it's elbow to elbow in Oia and Imerovigli with hordes of tourists and their cameras in your face. People knock each other down just to take pictures of the sunset (which is amazing) but arguably no better than the one from the terrace of my room at George's place. I write this now only because I just wish someone had warned me before coming here. Had I known, I would have skipped this tourist ghetto and stayed longer at George's place in Naxos.

Room Tip: Rooms with a terrace facing the sea at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Rally A
There are newer reviews for Hotel Galini

Reviewed 25 September 2013

A great little hotel with probably the best breakfasts we have ever had on this type of holiday. Well located at the edge of Naxos Town, with a safe sandy beach nearby or a small rocky cove where you can swim without the long walk through the shallow water found on the sandy beach. Plenty of choice at the many local tavernas and an interesting old town to wander around if you tire of the beach.
George is very proud of his hotel and his breakfasts which he prepares personally every day, lovely pastries (savoury and sweet), wonderful jams, creamy yoghurt, honey, fresh fruit, cakes and the usual bread, cheese, boiled eggs and cooked meats etc. Nice coffee too!
The rooms are nicely decorated, well lit and very clean but the bathrooms are rather small, which is unavoidable in an older hotel but a small price to pay for staying in such a lovely friendly hotel. We would certainly return without any hesitation.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NorthLondonDaveR
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We had booked the Galini on the Internet for two days, which became three and eventually seven. A lovely friendly family hotel in a good location with a fantastic breakfast. Simple rooms but immaculately clean. Any criticism? Only that the small bathroom probably needs updating. Would we stay there again if we went to Naxos? Why stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank BobNbettym
Reviewed 30 August 2013

This is a family run hotel where some effort is made to make guests feel comfortable and at home. It's a recipe that works. Nicely situated at the end of St George's beach, on the way to the port, it's a smallish hotel where some effort has been made to make the rooms look nice, with interesting decoration, including such points as clam shell lamps.

It's clean, helped by efficient daily servicing. There are small balconies, many of which overlook the sea, and for that matter the little church where there were two weddings during our stay. The bathroom, especially the shower, was very small, but in the overall scheme of things it did not detract.

Breakfast is provided and the basic bread, cheese, cold meats, Greek yoghurt etc is regularly supplemented by (home made) traditional dishes like cheese pie.

There is free wifi, and its quite fast.

It's hard to fault the place really and we would be happy to either recommend or to return. Definitely a good find.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank langdale12
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Our second time to stay by choice. George is the proud owner of this hotel who is passionate about its presentation and famous breakfast. We stayed in the roof top room which was absolutely Devine. It was completely private, stunning views of the sea across to Paros, the beach and the town. The view of the sunsets was amazing. Tip, book EARLY for this room. A little more expensive than the other rooms but DEFINITELY value for money. Breakfast is a highlight - the most delicious yogurt ever tasted, home baking - spinach & feta squares, bacon & egg squares, banana & custard squares alongside cereals, cold meats & cheese plus hard boiled eggs. A map of the island is given out on arrival with a comprehensive explanation of what to do whilst there given in English, in or case. Bathroom was clean and room serviced everyday. Air conditioning included in tariff and bar fridge in room. We would definitely recommend this hotel, a gem in this category of hotel.

Room Tip: Roof top room but book early or rooms 11 or 12 on the front overlooking sea
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank prpn
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We stayed here for a couple of nights in June/July, just before high season. We hadn't booked any room but came in with the ferry and knew that we wanted to stay between Naxos (Chora) and Agios Georgios. This was the first hotel we found. Georgios showed us the rooms (we were three persons so we got a twin and a double, connecting rooms) and we just adored them and knew that we had to stay here. They're really cute and nicely decorated. We also got a reasonable price, just a little bit over budget, so we choosed to stay.

We got a balcony with one of the rooms, perfect for the smokers, and we got two bathrooms that was nice and clean but maybe a bit old fashioned. The only two less good things were that the pipes aren't properly fastened inside the walls, so when you're pouring cold water you'll wake your neighbours up, and that the balcony door was hard to open.

Georgios is very proud of his breakfast which actually is great. It's not a huge variety but it's homemade and everything you need; coffee, juices, bread, butter, spreads, eggs, cakes, yoghurt, jams and marmelades etc.

There is free wifi at the lobby and breakfast/serving area.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Linda550
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Agree with all the other positive reviews and can't add much more however I have to write a minimum of 200 characters so I shall just repeat that breakfast was delicious and the family could not have been more helpful. Thank you George and family for a great stay. We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Many different rooms. Depends on your personal taste. We were in room 6 which didn't have the be...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple