“Backpackers”

Ranked #6 of 58 Hotels in Naxos Town
Traunstein, Bayern, Germany
“Backpackers”
Reviewed 23 November 2013

When we arrived, we were very welcome although we hadn´t even booked a room. We, a Family of four (children 17 and 15) were on a backpacking trip on the cyclades and were looking for a room when we discovered this nice and well-located Hotel very near the beach. When we asked for a free room, we were almost treated like an old guest and we got a very cheap but clean and friendly backpackers´room. The staff is very likeable and really stood up to our expectations. The breakfast isn´t comparable to any other, with all the home made Marmelade, cakes and omelettes. Unfortunately we didn´t discover the Hotel earlier, because we would have liked to stay longer!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Nina M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Greek first
Washington, DC
Reviewed 17 October 2013

My wife and i have been coming to Hotel Galini for the past 9 years. We're always welcomed like family. It's wonderful to go to a hotel where the owners are constantly looking to improve the guest experience, in both large and small ways. Room decor is constantly being improved from year to year to give the guests a true Greek Island experience. The buffet breakfast features preserves and marmalades all homemade by George (the executive chef of Naxos breakfast!), freshly baked omelettes, pastries and of course real Greek yogurt. The hotel is just steps away from St. George beach, one of many gorgeous beaches on the island, and most, if not all, rooms have ocean views. For visitors from the US: the bathrooms are small (typical for the islands), but immaculately clean. We can guarantee a warm welcome and a true Greek Island experience when you stay at the Hotel Galini!

2 Thank traveling-chef
Seattle, Washington, United States
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Nothing could have been better about our stay at Hotel Galini!

From the minute we walked in the door, George (the owner) was incredibly helpful and friendly. He helped us make a list of all the things we wanted to see and find a car rental place.

Every morning we sat down to an incredible breakfast - featuring George's homemade preserves. The night before we left, he called to make sure he'd have breakfast ready in time for us to catch our early ferry.

The location was great. It was on the south edge of the main town, but a minute or two from St. George beach. Walking to town took us less than 10 minutes, and it was along a beautiful beach park.

I could not recommend this place more! It is a great value for the money, and

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mack T
Reading
Reviewed 13 October 2013

This hotel is well-located - walkable around the harbour from where the ferry docks, and a hundred metres to St Georges Beach with is tavernas and swimming. It's well run by George and his family, who you will probably get to meet during your stay. Our room was simple, clean, furnished with character and had a small balcony. As others say, breakfast is varied, plentiful and good quality - often home cooked.

1 Thank Spencerswood
Ubud, Indonesia
Reviewed 3 October 2013

This is a 5 start review of the amazing Hotel Galini and Sofia. This review is also a travel advisory for anyone travelling on to Santorini after Naxos as I did.

I came to Naxos for 4 days not really expecting anything other than a continuation of my amazing Greek island hopping trip. George, the owner along with his wonderful extended family, is your host and he greets you on arrival. From the start he invited me to site down with a refreshing welcome drink. I love a welcome drinks. Why don't more people do this? It's time to relax. Congratulations, you've arrived in a Grecian island paradise.- Naxos.

You stay here because, like me, you're looking to immerse yourself into Greek culture, that means food, ancient sites, amazing landscapes, fabulous architecture, friendly people. Greeks just seem to enjoy life more than everyone else. George's place is home base for your authentically Greek experience.

The breakfast included with our room was absolutely first rate. Great coffee, fruit and all the basics are all there. I'd come to expect these things but then I discovered that the Greek yogurt of your dreams awaits you each morning along with umpteen different kinds of preserves, most (if not all), are home made by George and/or his family. I tried to linger each morning with a book or visit with the other guests on the terrace so that breakfast would last a little longer. In fact my whole stay I just wanted to linger a little bit longer. Just squeeze out a little more out of each day. In retrospect it was all over way too quickly.

I rented a car for 2 days and visited the countryside, mountains, ancient monuments and remote beaches of Naxos. If you have 3 days in Naxos, make sure you take advantage of your time here and visit these treasures.

A few basics - The location of the hotel is perfect, just a bit out of town, easy walking distance, but really close to the square, and St. George's beach (perfect for small kids) is spread out before you. The room is functional and includes all the basics - WIFI, a normal bathroom and a generous space to occupy. At 55 euros a night, my room was a tremendous value. Like a few other hotels I'd seen on this trip to Greece, guests return to Hotl Galini & Sofia year after year. One Norwegian lady I met during my stay has been staying here every year since the 1970's.

I was in Naxos for the last week of September. Things were definitely slow, but in a wonderful way, A happy flow of tourists and locals amble their way along the friendly lanes and streets around town, There was always a table at any of the best restaurants. What a luxury this turned out to be: plenty of space for strolling around anytime night or day, popping into this place or that. So nice.

This was not the case for my next destination - Santorini, which sadly was a big regret. I am here now, and even though it's the first week of October, it's elbow to elbow in Oia and Imerovigli with hordes of tourists and their cameras in your face. People knock each other down just to take pictures of the sunset (which is amazing) but arguably no better than the one from the terrace of my room at George's place. I write this now only because I just wish someone had warned me before coming here. Had I known, I would have skipped this tourist ghetto and stayed longer at George's place in Naxos.

Room Tip: Rooms with a terrace facing the sea at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Rally A
North London
Reviewed 25 September 2013

A great little hotel with probably the best breakfasts we have ever had on this type of holiday. Well located at the edge of Naxos Town, with a safe sandy beach nearby or a small rocky cove where you can swim without the long walk through the shallow water found on the sandy beach. Plenty of choice at the many local tavernas and an interesting old town to wander around if you tire of the beach.
George is very proud of his hotel and his breakfasts which he prepares personally every day, lovely pastries (savoury and sweet), wonderful jams, creamy yoghurt, honey, fresh fruit, cakes and the usual bread, cheese, boiled eggs and cooked meats etc. Nice coffee too!
The rooms are nicely decorated, well lit and very clean but the bathrooms are rather small, which is unavoidable in an older hotel but a small price to pay for staying in such a lovely friendly hotel. We would certainly return without any hesitation.

2 Thank NorthLondonDaveR
Corinth, Greece
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We had booked the Galini on the Internet for two days, which became three and eventually seven. A lovely friendly family hotel in a good location with a fantastic breakfast. Simple rooms but immaculately clean. Any criticism? Only that the small bathroom probably needs updating. Would we stay there again if we went to Naxos? Why stay anywhere else.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family