“The Amalfi Hoax” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sentiero degli dei (Path of the Gods)

Sentiero degli dei (Path of the Gods)
Book In Advance
More Info
US$120.90*
and up
Amalfi Coast Hiking Tour Path Of The Gods 'Sentiero Degli Dei'
Ranked #1 of 9 things to do in Agerola
Robbinsville
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“The Amalfi Hoax”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

I wouldn't recommend that anyone go out of their way to do this hike, unless on extended vacation or if you're already staying very closeby and dealing with the transit system which is perpetually on strike. It will likely take an entire day out of your trip. Due to the end of the hike, you will be feeling it in your legs for days after which could put a serious hurt on other things you plan to do while in Italy.

Honestly, I would rate the hike itself as average. It's a lot of the same view though it's very pleasant. Not sure if it's because I just spent two weeks in different Italian mountain regions but it just didn't blow me away. I realize how insane this sounds after all the other reviews you might be reading.

As a seasoned hiker, I was surprised that I got lost on the trail, especially in the company of my former Eagle Scout boyfriend. It had multiple trail blazes which I now believe to be to old parts of the trail which are no longer in use and really quite dangerous. Everyone on the trail seemed to be from the NYC area too. We literally met multiple people who lived by us and wanted to chat about home on the trail. Everyone was VERY nice but it was a reminder of just how touristy the coast is.

It took us TEN HOURS in total to park in Amalfi, take the bus to the beginning of the trail, take the end bus back to Amalfi. Really, we only stopped for minimal pictures and a half hour for lunch. As of 7/1/14, the strike you've likely read about is in full force and there's no communication about which busses come and don't. You can be (as we were) left standing for hours in the blazing hot sun while waiting for your scheduled bus you already have tickets for.

The highlight of the hike for me was LUNCH which was unexpected and not a big shout out to this hike overall. The spot, which the trail literally runs through, is absolutely amazing and I can't give it enough praise. It's necessary at that point on the trail and a GREAT value and wonderful experience. My caprese sandwich had fistfuls of basil on it which were picked off the plant right in front of my table. Very refreshing.

After lunch, we descended the legendary 1000 steps to finish the trail. At this point, it no longer feels like hiking. You have to look down the entire time because the stairs are at times very slanted and very strangely placed. Your legs feel like jello at the end and I can't imagine going up them.

Then you walk along the road for awhile (yes that same mountain road you took to get there) dodging around cars to get to your bus stop.

This all might be worth it to some people but honestly, it was just alright for me.

Visited July 2014
2 Thank Markojenn

• Hebrew first
  • Polish first
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Great and Scenic Hike, but start in Boomerano, not Priano”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

My son and I did the hike, but started in Praiano, not Boomerano. We had decided to start in Praiano because the bus schedule to Boomerano was to complicated for our feeble minds. If I were to do it again, I would start in Boomerano. Because when you start in Praiano, you exit the bus (St Luca I think), and then start following the signs (which are very convenient). You keep following the signs up and up stairs, because the bus drops you off way below the actual trail. You have to ascend the mountain to get to the trail. We were both sweating like crazy just getting to the trail. Once we found the trail, the hiking was much easier. And the scenery was awesome. I recommend taking your time. My son likes to sprint everything, and it would have been better to sit down and relax occasionally, but not us. We went from Praiano to Positano in about 2 hours.

One last bit of advice, take the bus from Nocele to Positano. If not, you are faced with an endless supply of stairs. Just when you think you are making progress, you see another steep descent of stairs. They feel never ending. and as I said, my son likes to sprint everything, so going down 1700 stairs is no different. A week later, my calves still ache. But it was worth it just to see the sites up in the mountains. And if you see the old lady carring the grocery bags and her husband using the cane going up/down the stairs, tell them I said "Hi".

3 Thank Curtis M
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great Way to Work Off Italian Food and Wine!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

This hike was spectacular! The views are amazing. The trail is well preserved and easy to follow. My boyfriend and I definitely got our heart rate up walking this trail - some sections required navigating up and down rocky areas, others steep stairs and others flat, easy dirt paths. Here is how we did it. We drove our rental up the hairpin-ed mountain road from Conca dei Marini where we staying to Bomerano (a 25 min ride). We parked in a free parking lot on the corner of Via Armando Diaz and Via Casalone. We walked along Via Colle Serra to the start of the trail head. We then spent about 1.5 hours walking to Nocelle where we stopped at Santa Croce for lunch with an amazing view of Positano from the restaurant. Then we walked back along the trail for about 1.5 hours back to Bonerano. If you are adventurous, not afraid of heights and relatively fit, strap on your sneakers, bring some water and take this fabulous hike.

1 Thank sunnyUDEL
Chester, Virginia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Challenging but worth the view!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

This hike was definitely a bit more difficult than I was expecting based on what I had read online, but I am very glad we stuck it out. My husband and I are in our mid-20s and in pretty good shape and we definitely had to stop for breath going up the mountain several times. We left from Praiano and had to hike up the whole town before reaching the trail (all stairs straight up), so the first hour or so of the hike was all up stairs for us. However, the views were some of the best I have had in my entire life! We made it to Nocelle, ate a much deserved lunch, and then walked/hiked down to the beach at Positano. We made it from Praiano to Nocelle in under three hours, but we are pretty tall so our strides might be longer than others' :) I definitely recommend it if you think you can handle a lot of stairs!

1 Thank Devyn K
charlotte, nc
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“The Magnificent Path of Gods Hike”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

I had been researching our 5 week trip to Spain and Italy (all of May, early June 2014) for months. I kept looking for "must see/do's" that the average tourist would not experience. I learned about the 4-5 mile hike on the Path of the Gods from one of the websites I visited. Problem was we were staying in Sant'Agnello, the hike began in Agerola (the middle of nowhere), and ended in Positano (which we knew very well). It became obvious we would need to hire a car to take us to Agerola to begin the hike, hire a guide as both my wife and I are not experienced hikers, then figure out how to get home from Positano. The cost for all of that ranged from $450 - $800+ USD depending on which person/company made your arrangements. Discouraging - but then as luck would have it AND one of the reasons a good many of us love traveling, we met and became friendly with a wonderful English couple in Anacapri at Da Gelsomina (spectacular, must visit) who had just done the hike and provided us with their contact person. She had arranged their entire hike for a very reasonable sum. We contacted her (emiliagrassi@yahoo.it); she set it all up for us (car - 80 euros from our flat in Sant'Agnello to the square in Agerola); guide; lovely basket of goodies for the hike) and it was one of the most memorable experiences in all of our travels. After 3.5h of moderate hiking along narrow trails, over large rocks, hills and valleys with breathtaking views above and below us we arrived in Positano. Our guide - Franco De Simone (francotrekking@live.it) was worth every penny (80 euros per person + tip) and provided us with walking sticks which helped immensely. At the end of the hike in the hills of Positano the choices to get down to civilization were traversing 2000 steps (who's counting!!); the local bus; or luckily for us a very nice NJ family (husband, wife, adult daughter) who arrived at our exit location to begin the hike in the opposite direction. The wife eventually decided against the hike and kindly offered us a ride "down to the bottom" which we gladly accepted. The recent reviews (Braave 1982; Tinamr911; and AmirU71799) are all well done and reinforce the magnificence of this hike. Were I to do the hike tomorrow I would take the local bus to Agerola the day before the hike, spend the night at the lovely hotel in the town square, start out early the next morning, and definitely contact Franco De Simone to be our guide. The trip back to Sorrento from Positano was actually very easy on the 4:30p afternoon ferry. What a fabulous day - if you are reading this and are the least bit interested I strongly encourage you to do this hike. I'm confident you will enjoy it as much as we did!!

Visited May 2014