“Great time on Amalfi Coast”
Review of Hotel Santa Lucia

Hotel Santa Lucia
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Minori
Reviewed 30 October 2011

I used Trip Advisor reviews to book this hotel and I agreed with them completely. I asked for a room with a balcony facing the back of the hotel as suggested by other users and I had a great view of the roman ruins. We were on the first floor, room 111. It was kind of noisy - we could hear sounds coming from upstairs and from the hallway, so if you are a light sleeper, I suggest you bring ear plugs. The beds are very small so be prepared! The hotel is very clean and well maintained. The rooms are bright and nicely decorated. The bathroom is very modern but the shower is extremely small. There is wifi available in the rooms for a cost of 5 euros for three hours and 7 euros for 5 hours. I didnt use the whole three hours but my wifi got cut off on my last evening. Not sure why. There is also a computer in the lobby that you can use. You have to pay separately for this (same rates). If you pay for wifi, you still have to pay to use the computer.

Vincenzo on the front desk is very helpful and friendly. He arranged our tours to Capri (34 euro for the boat ride) and Pompeii/Vesuvius (38 euro for the bus and a tour guide - does not include lunch or entrance fees)for us. He also checked the weather forecasts and advised us of the upcoming conditions so we would know how to dress. One night we came back from touring and were extremely tired so Vincenzo made us a pot of tea and brought it up to our room for us. Salvatore and Angelo in the dining room were so accomodating. I asked Salvatore for some Nutella on my first morning and he went and got it for me and made sure that I had it every morning for breakfast. He also introduced us to the cook, Luigi who had a shot of limoncello with us while showing us the kitchen. The food was quite good - more than enough to keep you full. You get the dinner menu each morning at breakfast and you can make your selections for that evening. There are always three choices for the first course, usually a fish, a pasta and a soup. Then two choices for your meat dish, two choices of your side dish and two choices for your dessert.

The town itself is very quiet especially now during low season. But it is close to all of the other great towns along the Amalfi Coast and it is very easy to get around using the SITA buses. The bus stop is right outside the hotel and there is a Tabacchi shop where you can buy your bus tickets. We always bought the one day pass (24 hours) for 7.20 euro. They never seemed to have the three day pass which was a bit cheaper. There are not a lot of buses on Sundays and holidays so you may have trouble getting around. We ended up taking the boat to Positano on Sunday as it was running more frequently than the bus.

If you get a chance, go to Vietri Sul Mare which is a small town on the way to Salerno. It has tons of ceramic stores on the main street and they are way cheaper than Capri, Amalfi or Ravello.
Don't bother going to Naples - it is just a big noisy busy city. There is not many picturesque areas there. The pizza was just as good in the other towns - even though Naples is the birthplace of pizza.
My favourite town was Amalfi and of course Positano. We climbed the steps to the top of Positano - it took us an hour. It is quite a long walk - it is much easier to walk up using the road but it you have the legs for it, take the steps. You get to see the hidden areas of Positano that not many tourists see.

We flew in and out of Rome airport and it is quite a long haul to get ot the hotel. It was about 4 hours straight through. It makes for a real long day of travelling. If you are prone to motion sickness, bring some dramamine or use the wristbands - the roads are deadly. I took the pills but I was still sick all week long.

I really enjoyed the hotel and the whole area. There is a lot ot see and do.

I really loves this area.

Room Tip: Back of the hotel - less noisy and a great view
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
12  Thank islndgirl

Reviewed 20 October 2011

Agree with all other comments -really good service -we were ona very early flight and they organised a cab for 4 am -some one from the hotle was theri to help us with our bags!
Friendly owner -family.
Towels need updating -scratchy .
Italian tour groups stay there -some and go on masse which makes for a noisy breakfast area .Overall though -good value and out of the busy parts of the Amalfi.
I did not eat in the restaurant but my parents did twice and enjoyed it .

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Pabsie1
Reviewed 13 October 2011

If you are looking for a sleepy seaside town experience in the Amalfi Coast, away from the hurdes of tourists and overpriced food, and with a good beach, than Minori is the place to stay.

If you decide to stay in Minori, then look no further than Hotel Santa Lucia. It is the BEST place to stay in Minori. The beach is down the block from the hotel (2 min walk). You have 4 local restaurants within 2-3 mins walking distance) where we had the best gnocchi sorrentino and a very good pasta Bolognese. All at great prices $6-8 euros a pasta plate. The hotel also has its own restaurant but we did not get a chance to try it so can’t comment on it. The free breakfast was your standard continental that you’ll find in most places, so nothing out of the ordinary. The rooms were spacious and we had our own private balcony to enjoy our cappuccino and read a book or simply enjoy the daily routine of this town.

What is out of the ordinary and was most appreciated was the level of service provided by the family that runs this Hotel. Clearly, it is family owned. They take care of you as if you are their personal guest. I know ahead of time that it was a family-run hotel so I had imagined it’d be small, but I was surprised to see how big the hotel was. It was 3 floors of rooms and each floor must have had about 8-10 rooms. However, it never felt like a big hotel. They knew us on a personal name right away and they have gone out of their way many times to make our stay with them and in Amalfi pleasant.

I have to say that I was not impressed with the transportation system in the Amalfi Coast. Although, the Hotel has the SITA bus stop just 10ft to the right of the front of the hotel, it still did not make for pleasant travels all along the coast. Reason being that the SITA bus was completely unreliable. It was never on schedule and it didn’t run often. One night coming back from Ravello, after it appeared that we had missed our last bus and it was late at night, we called the hotel and the matriarch sent her son to pick us up to bring us back. I know no one would have given us such great care and attention better than that. And on the last day, when we left for Rome to catch our flight back and my boyfriend left behind a bag full of souvenir gifts we bought for family in Ravello at the SITA bus stop, it was the hotel staff that came to our rescue by getting the bag from the bus stop and shipping it back home to us. I cannot speak enough of how great the family from Hotel Santa Lucia has been.

My advice: plan to stay in Minori and just relax on the beach. You’ll have a great time. If your plan is to visit the nearby towns, then perhaps Amalfi would be a better place to stay for transporation reasons as it’s more of a transportation hub with ferries going to Positano, buses to Ravello, etc., but expect a larger tourist crowd. Nonetheless, it’ll be less touristy and a better experience than Positano and Ravello.

But if your idea is to relax on the beach, have local food, and simply relax in the beauty of the Amalfi Coast, than Minori and most definitely Hotel Santa Lucia would be the way to go.

7  Thank 4dbeachlover
Reviewed 11 October 2011

We decided to book our honeymoon to the Amalfi coast. We were so happy with our choice of stay in Minori, one of the smaller towns on the coast. The Hotel Santa Lucia is rated as a 3* but provides you with friendly service, clean rooms and an excellent restaurant. It is near the beach and a 10 minute walk to its neighbouring town of Maiori. You can reach the other towns on the coast by bus or by boat taxi and tours can be booked through the hotel. One downfall, the bed is not comfortable....but if you're like me and you can nap at the beach, then it doesn't matter! We stayed for 12 nights in September and the weather was very nice. I highly recommend this hotel as a base for a vacation on the Amalfi coast.

7  Thank Mitsena
Reviewed 21 September 2011

Stayed a week in this family run hotel. It is in a good position - just around the corner from the beach, bars and restaurants. Rooms clean, A/C quiet. Minori is a small town but has a far nicer feel about it than the larger towns around it also less touristy. Amalfi etc is more expensive. Use the boats to get about and the chance to see the marvelous coast line, but also the famous coastal road should be experienced - best by bus unless a driver use to narrow roads and coaches! A trip up to Ravello is a must and the Villa Rufolo gardens. The Amalfi Coast is a very beautiful place. Enjoy the lemons in cakes, limoncello, refeshing granita and a Sospiri aka Zizze's monache in the amazing Sal De Riso pasticcerie. The cakes are amazing.

Room Tip: While its nice to watch the world go by from the balconies at the front of the Hotel I imagine it wo...
6  Thank Marph
Reviewed 19 September 2011

My husband and I spent a week in this Hotel. Very pleased with the quiet and very clean room...comfortable bed and the air conditioning was very efficient and quiet. The food was great and the staff very professional and pleasant.
Minori is a wonderful family orientated town that had wonderful restaurants and beach. I would highly recommend this Hotel.
Would recommend taking the ferry instead of the bus...great views of the coastline.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back are more quiet
6  Thank Janice19507
Reviewed 11 July 2011

This place was nice enough for a small town like Minori. Very rustic and old-coast Italian decor. Fairly clean, rooms were decent size. Bathroom smelt like sulfur all the time so it was gross, and the shower is really ghetto, just a slider cover so water gets everywhere. The family has a few cats and I'm pretty allergic so it was not a nice experience. The cats roam everywhere and I had reactions to them the whole time. Peaceful and nice, must pay for wifi downstairs but very poor quality of signal, not worth it.

Room Tip: Don't stay if allergic to cats!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank wineshding
Also consider these accommodations in or near Minori
Villa Romana Hotel & Spa
#7 of 7 in Minori
Hotel Club Due Torri
Hotel Club Due Torri
#2 of 17 in Maiori

Been to Hotel Santa Lucia? Share your experiences!