“Friendly and Authentic Italian Hotel”
Review of Hotel Lord Byron

Hotel Lord Byron
Ranked #26 of 81 Hotels in Forio
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I stayed at the Lord Byron for a week at the end of July. The hotel was very welcoming and the service unendingly good with friendly staff who were keen to help. The rooms are varied, some of our party were happy with theirs while others were not, however, everyone agreed that their rooms were clean and functional even if they had single beds and no outside space. I thought the food was very good as long as you are keen to try real Italian food and do not expect Italian food with an English slant. My trip with Solitair was seriously marred by being 'bumped' from the flight out and going via Glasgow which meant that the first day was ruined and exhausting, other travellers beware.
The pool area is reasonably sized with plenty of sunbeds that are, in the main, not reserved all day! There is also a choice of spa treatments. The hotel is well placed for the town and also about 10 - 15 walk to the beach which is sandy and well organised. The swimming seemed extremely safe and I don't think I heard any other British people on the beach - just Italians. I would certainly recommend this hotel to those who expect something typically Italian and are not looking for bland multinational chains. I would also return to Ischia as there is lots to do and see.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Phianne

Reviewed 11 August 2013

Lovely hotel and very helpful staff, clean and well presented rooms. Food lacked imagination especially as there was very little choice (3 items for each course) and if you are there for 2 weeks expect some repetition. We went with Thomas Cook who advertised the hotel as Adult Exclusive with the hotel not taking bookings for children under 16. This was far from the truth as the whole time we were there children were staying in the room next to us and there were children in the pool area every day, maybe only Italian children are welcome.

Room Tip: Go for a superior room and ask for a fridge
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ruth P
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Lovely hotel and great staff. I was travelling alone but this is the first single room with a single bed I have had but everything was fine. I had a first floor room with a small balcony and everything I needed. There was no hairdryer in the bathroom but reception lent me one. Everyone was very welcoming and helpful. Thanks to Helen and Den for your company, really enjoyed Ischia and shall be returning as didn't see all the places I wanted to see.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 June 2013

We stayed in a superior room which was a little bungalow set in the garden, near to the pool but very quiet after the Italian poolside chatter had subsided. It was very spacious and kept immaculately clean by the lovely Mina. We feel management should be making more of her talents, particularly as she has picked up good English. Guido at reception was a real star too and always willing to help. The quality of the linen (towels changed every day) was better than at some five star hotels. The only negative thing I can say about the Lord Byron is the lack of imagination in what was on offer for breakfast - it was exactly the same every day of our ten day stay, even down to the flavour of the yogurt on offer. We stayed on a bed and breakfast basis and were glad we did as other guests were less than impressed with the menu at dinner - again no imagination. The bar area was very nice too. To sum up, this is what you would expect of a three star Italian hotel.

Room Tip: Go for a superior room as some of the standard rooms are quite small.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 May 2013

This is a quaint little 30 room hotel which is close to all amenities and walking distance to harbour. The staff are very friendly and efficient, in particular, Francesco, Pepe and Nicoletta who all go out of their way to ensure you have a great holiday. The rooms are basic but very clean but it is a bit of pot luck if you go with Solitair on the rooms, for example 50,51 and 52 are on the lower level and have a no view at all, better to be in the annexe where you have a balcony or patio. The food is very mediteranean and the are 2 speciality nights, rabbit and seafood but Pepe will get you somethng else if you wish. It is plentiful, fresh vegetables, salads, pasta, fish and meat, fruit or dessert to finish.
The spa is quite kitsch but does it's job and there are plenty of sunbeds.
Overall if you are looking for a real Italian experience in a small, friendly hotel this is for you.

Room Tip: Corner suite in the annexe gets lots of sun until early evening. Room 50,51 and 52 get no sun at all...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Karen L
Reviewed 5 April 2013

The staff are generally very nice (especially the Bar & restaurant staff)
The spa is small - couldn't use the outdoor pool as it was too chilly- so only used spa once- tub was a bit tatty
The beauty centre is also small - the girl I saw was fine but not the best massage or facial i've ever had and she over tweexed my eyebrows
Wi Fi is expensive - you get 15 mins a day free but it's slow so can't get much done- 5 Euros for up to 4 hours and 10 Euros for up to 10 hours - so i mainly used my Blackberry allowance which was cheaper- one day it was windy so i managed 1 page on the notebook off their WiFi in 15 minutes & the reception guy wasn't very helpful & said yes it's slow but didn't offer me any extra
Don't bother to take any extras reading material- excellent quality & quantity of books available in the library & lounge
Food was plentifuyl - not exceptional but some very tasty soups & pasta dishes- all very filling with 3 course meals at lunch & dinner if you are on full board- they didn't quite get teh dietary issues regarding one vegetarian & 1 coeiliacs- ham in the veggie pie!
Fresh fruit with orange & lemon orchard in the annex garden

Room Tip: stayed in the annexe- it has advantages over the main hotel in that it is quieter but some rooms (eg...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank jacqui3744
Reviewed 28 July 2012

My first Holiday with solitair and first as a solo traveller to this fantastic hotel on a beautiful Island . My room (50) was in the main hotel and next to the restaurant but this didn't disturb at all it was large with loads of storage the bathroom was huge with plenty of light and I had a a small patio area with a table and 2 chairs.
My mattress was very lumpy and I had a poor few nights sleep but once I had informed the reception staff that I wasn't happy with it they changed it for me the very next day
.The food was plentiful and the staff very helpful in explaining what was in each dish and as a vegetarian they made me something different for the rabbit and fish nights. Ischia has excellent white wine at reasonable prices . We were half board and the hotel was very flexible in that we could have lunch instead of dinner if we wished or they would make up a packed lunch they even provided croissants and coffee at 5am on our trip to pompei and departure day.
The pool area was good with loads of sun loungers and chairs and the thermal pool and spa or beauty treatments an added bonus and I had a massage it was bliss . The view of the mountain was breathtaking .
The bar area was very pleasant of an evening and some nights we had a talented young lady playing the piano . Nibbles and canapés on the tables to enjoy with your pre dinner drinks . The hotel is in an excellent position close to town , bus stops and the port all in walking distance .What more can I say except that I would like to return next year .

Room Tip: From what I understand many of the rooms are different some have balcony s and some no outdoor space...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo