“Home-away-from-home”

Mezzatorre Resort and Spa
Ranked #8 of 81 Hotels in Forio
Reviewed 5 September 2013

We have returned to this hotel for sixteen years on the island of Ischia. It is a five-star, member of the "Small Leading Hotels of the World." The owner lives in Naples and is on-site every weekend. The staff has become our extended family, the setting and service are exquisite, and the food remarkable. The thermal spa with treatments of every kind is heaven. The hotel rooms cascade down a hillside to the pool and the sea, but you must be willing to hike up and down, unless you stay in the Tower rooms.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank minorleaguemom
There are newer reviews for Mezzatorre Resort and Spa

Reviewed 5 September 2013

When I decided to book three nights at Mezzatorre, a five-star hotel, it was with the view of enjoying a beautiful site, swim in the Mediterranean, surrounded by beautiful pines, to enjoy a great rest, while being able to get connected to the office, as I can never be in "total vacation". I could not imagine that a hotel charging 466 euros a night would be without Internet, as guests who can afford that price typically are "connected people".

Well, the beauty was there, but access to the Internet was not, due to some "unanticipated work by the telecom company". It seems that my curse of slow to no Internet is alive and well and follows me dutifully wherever I go. I told the reception that I thought they should have warned their arriving guests. They have their e-mails and could have reached them ahead of time
, to make sure that such disruption would not inconvenience them. It seems to me that access to the Internet in a 5-star hotel is now as basic as access to electricity, water, i.e. it has become a basic utility, maybe not in every hotel but at least in a"5-star " hotel. I told the hotel that I could stay maybe a night but certainly not 3 nights without the Internet. In fairness to them, they accepted to cancel my stay. I told them that I needed to make alternative arrangements and ask them to make a phone call to La Minerva in Capri who i knew had availability. They called them for me (and charged me 2 euros for the phone call!).

Finally, I told them that I had a tough time paying them 466 euros, the agreed price for a room without internet. I had arrived at 6PM, and transferring to the Minerva would require my departing at 10 AM the next morning, without fully enjoying the property, so that price for a nice night in a nice bed, without the ability to even e-mail jewish friends on roshashanna, seemed quite a bit to high.

They refused to reduce the price. Overall, the management of this hotel clearly seems much more interested in making money, even adding 2 euros to make a call that any concierge would have made for free, than making their guests happy and not inconvenienced. They failed to deliver the promised services which were essential to me and seem essential in any such hotel. And yet, they had no problem taking full cash. I strongly believe they were wrong.

A five star hotel should only have one objective: fulfilling their customers needs.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bernard L
Mezzatorre, Direttore at Mezzatorre Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for spending your time to report on your stay at Mezzatorre Resort & Spa. I'm sorry that your experience at our hotel was not up to your expectations because of bad internet service. Please accept my sincerest apologies.

At Mezzatorre Resort & Spa, we make continuous efforts to try to meet the needs and expectations of our customers and therefore your reaction is extremely important to us
but, please, allow me to kindly let you note that, unfortunately, we are not in the position to handle problems that are not under our direct control, nor can we make any kind of communications to arriving guests without knowing Telecom’s problems and which is the required time for the repair.

I beg you to reconsider your opinion on our Hotel with regards to our orientation towards customer satisfaction; this is demonstrated by the fact that we have not charged you the payment of the whole stay, as per our cancellation policy, because the bad Internet connection did not depend from our hotel but it was to be considered a case of force majeure and because you have also turned down our offer of providing you with one of our computer connected to Internet.

Just for your information, I can tell you that yesterday afternoon the Telecom cable was repaired and the Internet connection has been restored although not perfectly and I'm sorry that you have taken the decision to hastily go to Capri.

I thank you anyway for staying at our hotel and look forward to welcome you again at the Mezzatorre on occasion of your next vacation in Italy.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 28 July 2013

It doesn't get any better than unreal views from every angle and thru every window, great service, pool and sea area built into the rocks for lounging with a delicious come-as-you-are restaurant. Reminded me of Monte Carlos's Beach Club without any snobbery. If you want seclusion, stay in the garden, otherwise the rooms in or near the "Tower" are the way to go. Spa treatments are a great way to break up the day: mineral/mud based are amazing.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank pbecondo
Reviewed 28 July 2013

This is a true boutique 5 star property with amazing spa and relaxation facilities on the Island of Ischia. The restaurant is excellent for dinner - rivaling some of the best restaurants on the Island, which include Michelin star destinations. Take time of and enjoy the thermal oriented spa. During summer months, the property seems to have many Russian speaking guests, which perhaps the case with many top resorts in Italy, and the rest of Europe (perhaps event the rest of the world). This hotel is also great for swimming in the ocean, and offers many options with amazing views and privacy. It is just about 40 minutes on a small boat from Capri. This Island/resort is very easy to get to from Naples....

Room Tip: It is worthwhile to pay more and get a bigger room/suit with views...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank YuriVanetik
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Paradise!Among best hotels we have stayed in in 40 years traveling. !
Besides hotel restaurant, among best on Ischia, ask concierge to reserve, for an unforgettable experience, in Ischia port -Luigi al Mare, great food and reasonably priced. A secret address known to the locals. Take complementary boat.arranged by the hotel.

Room Tip: . Perfect. We will return for two weeks next year. Pool-man Giorgio wonderful and so professional-as...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pontormo187147
Reviewed 9 July 2013

20 minutes from the ferry port, this oasis is absolutely stunning. Perched on a hill top, this 5 star resort was amazing. The only critique is that the rooms are small, and most of the ocean views with balconies are restricted in their site line. The pool and the food was great, Georgio at the pool is amazing, and will accommodate most requests. We rented a boat from the hotel, a must do, as it tours the island.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I share most of the coments from tripadvisor. Nothing special to say about the resort except for the restaurant who is really expensive.
But I will definitively go back there for the location.

Ps : rent a car when you arrive on ischia !! Taxis are even more expensive than the restaurant ;)

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Marc A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Forio
L'Albergo della Regina Isabella
Terme Manzi Hotel & Spa
#5 of 41 in Casamicciola Terme
Miramare e Castello Hotel
Grand Hotel Punta Molino Beach Resort & SPA

Been to Mezzatorre Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!