“Excellent!!!”
Review of Ring Hostel

Ring Hostel
Ranked #10 of 33 Speciality Lodging in Forio
Reviewed 21 March 2013

This has been a wonderful experience for me. Its very clean and the home is enormous. Its definitely unique in many ways and exactly what I was looking for during my stay. There has been plenty of food for breakfast and snacks throughout the day. The hostel location is within walking distance to the port, the bus, and stores so I found it convenient to navigate by foot.
The family is warm and kind and sincere, they really want to know if there is anything that can be done to make my time here as comfortable as possible. The dog Bruno is adorable and very friendly.
Any information I needed was provided in a timely manner. My stay was 5 nights and due to an emergency it was extended to a total of 11 nights. I have been treated with ultimate kindness and hospitality.
To address the previous reviewer: This person SammyT_11 makes no sense to me. The experience shared is nothing like what I have come to know about the Ring Hostel. Personally I would recommend staying here and I have to all my friends. Its a very nice hostel, not a hotel. If this person arrived with expectations then thats the problem. It sounds as if SammyT_11 wants to be upset and it wouldn't surprise me that they have made other bad reviews for personal instant gratification. I feel sorry for this poor soul. I'm glad that energy was no where near me when I arrived.
Marta Maria was at the front desk and very helpful especially with her ability to speak several languages fluently. She has a great personality and communicates very well with no confusion at all.
Lots of good times have been spent here and I'm looking forward to my return. When you decide to stay here I recommend more than one night. There is so much to see and experience its impossible to do it all in one night. Also the price is very good when you need to travel on a budget. Ischia is a wonderful place to visit and this side of the island, in Forio, is more historical with patina. When you visit you are doing yourself a favor to be here.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Kimberly M

Reviewed 11 December 2012

I stayed here with a friend for what was supposed to be a few days and we ended up staying an entire week. Great atmosphere, met many people, family restaurant was very good and great value. There is a rooftop with a great view and places to sit and just relax. Great place to stay, rooms are good. I switched rooms because we extended our stay and didn't even mind. Marta Maria was so helpful with everything. I've stayed in many hostels all over Europe and this is my favorite one. Ischia is such a beautiful island and I will be back to visit and I will definitely stay at the Ring Hotel again!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Mavie44
Reviewed 10 September 2012

The Colella family made Ischia feel like home and I did not want to leave. The Ring Hostel was clean, homey and well kept. The view from the roof of the island was spectacular and the food at the family restaurant was to die for! I still crave the food on a regular basis. Ischia is an island everyone should visit and the Ring Hostel is the perfect place to stay if you really want to experience Italy.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Cina A
Reviewed 8 September 2012

myself and my boyfriend stayed here for 3 nights in august,we originally booked a 12 bed dorm but were put in a 4 bed dorm with our own private balcony which was awesome.but the room was so hot ,it would be nice if they supplied a small fan.there was only one bathroom to accommodate 3 rooms not sure on how many people,however we neva had any problems in waiting time for a shower.but the toilet seat had a huge crack through one side which yes did pinch you ,the shower head was still usable i didnt have much problems with it but the water sprays out the side of the seal.there should be some kind of rubber matt on the ground so you dont slip!!!every time i went to go to the bathroom there was no toilet paper however the ever so nice marta maria had some downstairs all the time,but the inconvenience was a bit annoying.

our room was a good size the beds were very comfy and the lockers in the room were very handy however the ladder on the top bunk was half hanging of which made it hard to get to your bed.

breakfast is very very average we skipped it except one day when there was only 3 bits of bread left however we asked for some more bread and that was no problem.theres a juice and coffee machine which have been broken for a while (why not get ride of them and put a kitchen stove there?) they advertise as having a kitchen ,it is a small kitchenette with 2 small elements that took me 20 mins just to cook pasta not the best idea as everyone else wants to cook dinner as well.and there is very basic kitchen crockery to cook.The kitchen gets so dirty and unclean theres no system in place,they expect people to wash there dishes but they dont supply clean sponges ,we went and brought some.the maid doesnt come till late arvo so marta maria is the only staff member there,its a bit hard if you only have a one man team all the time,they should have 1 staff member that floats around to make sure things are clean and kept up to scratch.

on a positive note the top terrace has a nice view and they own a sister hotel on the water where you can go for the day use the day beds and free kayak.

i think the owners should take more responsibilty,love and care for the hostel,out of the 3 buisnesse it feels like it is the one that is left to its own devices.

i feel that this hostel could have real potential if there were a few things here n there that are replaced and the place was kept clean as the day we check in the toaster was on the couch(not a good look)

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank kiraleejoy
Reviewed 6 September 2012

This hostel is a great place to stay on the cheap. The owners are always willing to offer places to go, see or things to do (real things too, not tacky tourist stuff). The staff are friendly and have plenty of tips for those new to the island. The family also owns luxury beach villas and a mountain-side escape set on the side of their own 300+ year old olive and wine garden if a hostel is not for you. You have full access to any and all of the families facilities.

The walk from the docks is a little daunting for those who have over-packed but a seasoned hosteling traveller will have no problems with the centuries-old cobbled streets that lead right past the centre of Forio, past the many amazing cafe's and shops and a few blocks above the main markets. The family also owns an amazing restaurant that they will shuttle you to nightly for the most amazing home-cooked food you will likely encounter in your travels.

Room Tip: The upstairs "Orange Rooms" are the most recently renovated, one has a private balcony.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tawny R
Reviewed 6 September 2012

My trip would not have been the same if I had chosen to stay anywhere else but Ring Hostel. What a wonderful environment and great people. You will feel just at home and they will do anything to accomodate you. The hostel has lots of history and love in its walls. Absolutely life changing experience!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank E L
Reviewed 5 September 2012

I stayed at the Ring Hostel with my classmates during a course that we were doing with our Faculty of Pharmacy from the University of Alberta (Canada). It was my fourth and best trip to Italy, much of the reason being due to the wonderful familial atmosphere at the hostel. The three brothers plus Mamma Tina and Papà Salvatore make you feel like part of the family and help to give you the true, authentic feeling of Italy that is all too often missing when you backpack through Italy. The desk staff are wonderfully knowledgeable, especially my lovely Marta Maria, and know all the tips and tricks for seeing the best of the island. Everyone is so courteous and kind, the brothers will take turns shuttling you back and forth between the hostel and the family restaurant. I have had my share of Italian food, and I can assure you that some of the best food I've ever eaten in Italia was at La Casareccia, the family's own restaurant. The rooms are clean and ours had a gorgeous balcony with stunning views of the mountain and the quaint streets below. There is a wicked rooftop where we would all sit and have a few Peroni while watching the sunset, you've never seen a sight more beautiful. We enjoyed the common area, there is ample space to gather and share stories from a day of adventure or to just have a sporadic dance party! Bruno, one of Papà Salvatore's dogs is always making appearances to give kisses to the ladies. I have traveled quite extensively over Europe, Asia, and the Americas and can honestly say the Ring Hostel holds a special place in my heart. I think of the family often, they are the soul of the operation and the whole reason you will have the trip of a lifetime in Ischia! The brothers will go to every extent to make sure you are comfortable and enjoying your time there. Papà Salvatore even fixed my friend's baggage with his own two hands and Giuseppe rescued my girlfriend and I when we arrived in Forio at 1am the first morning! Grazie mille a tutti! I hope very much to make a return trip in the near future! Love, Jasmine.

• Stayed: May 2012