Stayed here in October 2008 and am finally getting around to reviewing. My review is particularly relevant to persons visiting in the off-season. Though I only have positive things to say, this hotel is actually the source of much regret associated with our trip to Ischia. My wife and I wanted a relaxing trip to Europe in the late fall, on the tail end of a business trip, and to be in as warm and beachy of a place as possible for the time of year. We reviewed Tripadvisor for hotels extensively and were completely duped (in some sense) by the stellar reviews of the Aragona Palace Hotel (see my separate review). Why the Albergo della Regina Isabella is the source of some regret is that when I was researching hotels I was extremely suspicious as to why a 5-star resort had such low rates relative to other clearly-inferior hotels... was it location, under construction, overrated? The answer is still not clear, but I can say that the location is perfect, the hotel is definitely 5-star and there is nothing inferior about it. The regret comes because my wife and I were so upset with our choice of the Aragona Palace that we cancelled a night in Naples, and booked a night here and absolutely loved it, couldn't believe it was cheaper than the Aragona Palace, and wished we had stayed here the entire time. We only stayed one night, so I will keep the rest brief. The service is top-notch from the pool-side waiting, to check-in, to the ride two and from the port. The place is very fancy, and old-school fancy; people dress up to hang out in the lobby bar at night. This was not our speed, so we hung out in the town. The hotel doesn't have a real beach area per se, but has an excellent pool by the water, and has docks out on the water with deck chairs and umbrellas, which are very relaxing. It is a fancy place, so food and drinks appeared on the pricier end, but the service was outstanding. The rooms were spacious and 5-star quality, even the garden view. The one negative I notice about being there in October is that the volcanic peak on the island cast a shadow over the resort's tanning areas fairly early in the day. We checked out the spa area and indoor thermal spa, and I would have to say these were a bit more on the therapeutic side, than on the resort side... to say it another way, it felt more like you were in a hospital than a resort type spa. There were lots of older people using these facilities. The town of Lacco Ameno was perfect for relaxing strolls in the evening, with a good selection of restaurants and shops and places to get dessert, gelato, a drink... definitely more quaint and touristy than Ischia Porto, but this was what we were looking for, and definitely perfect for multiple nights of relaxing evenings. And Lacco Ameno is closer to the thermal spa resorts on the West side of the island that are fun to visit in the day and have better beaches. Don't make the mistake we did and be overly cynical of the good deals to be had here in the fall. It is truly a 5-star place.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- “L’Albergo della Regina Isabella” is located directly on the seashore, in the midst of a peaceful bay surrounded by rocky shores and luscious Mediterranean vegetation. The hotel is located in the township of Lacco Ameno in Ischia, the largest Neapolitan island in the Gulf of Naples. It was built in the 1950’s by Angelo Rizzoli. The island’s beauty and thermal baths captivated the illustrious publisher and film director. In 1956 he decided to enlarge historic Regina Isabella’s thermal baths and build a resort over the ancient Greek - Roman ruins. After just a few years, Ischia and “L’Albergo della Regina Isabella” became the centre of attraction for cosmopolitan worldliness. Celebrities such as Richard Burton, Liz Taylor, Maria Callas, Alberto Sordi and William Holden enlivened those popular years making it one of the most exclusive and glamorous destinations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Priceline, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your L'Albergo della Regina Isabella reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Albergo Della Regina Isabella Hotel Lacco Ameno
- Regina Isabella Ischia
- L'Albergo Della Regina Isabella Isola D'Ischia, Italy - Lacco Ameno