“Excellent... Truly Fancy... Don't let the off-season rates fool you”

L'Albergo della Regina Isabella
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Lacco Ameno
Austin, Texas
“Excellent... Truly Fancy... Don't let the off-season rates fool you”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2009

Stayed here in October 2008 and am finally getting around to reviewing. My review is particularly relevant to persons visiting in the off-season. Though I only have positive things to say, this hotel is actually the source of much regret associated with our trip to Ischia. My wife and I wanted a relaxing trip to Europe in the late fall, on the tail end of a business trip, and to be in as warm and beachy of a place as possible for the time of year. We reviewed Tripadvisor for hotels extensively and were completely duped (in some sense) by the stellar reviews of the Aragona Palace Hotel (see my separate review). Why the Albergo della Regina Isabella is the source of some regret is that when I was researching hotels I was extremely suspicious as to why a 5-star resort had such low rates relative to other clearly-inferior hotels... was it location, under construction, overrated? The answer is still not clear, but I can say that the location is perfect, the hotel is definitely 5-star and there is nothing inferior about it. The regret comes because my wife and I were so upset with our choice of the Aragona Palace that we cancelled a night in Naples, and booked a night here and absolutely loved it, couldn't believe it was cheaper than the Aragona Palace, and wished we had stayed here the entire time. We only stayed one night, so I will keep the rest brief. The service is top-notch from the pool-side waiting, to check-in, to the ride two and from the port. The place is very fancy, and old-school fancy; people dress up to hang out in the lobby bar at night. This was not our speed, so we hung out in the town. The hotel doesn't have a real beach area per se, but has an excellent pool by the water, and has docks out on the water with deck chairs and umbrellas, which are very relaxing. It is a fancy place, so food and drinks appeared on the pricier end, but the service was outstanding. The rooms were spacious and 5-star quality, even the garden view. The one negative I notice about being there in October is that the volcanic peak on the island cast a shadow over the resort's tanning areas fairly early in the day. We checked out the spa area and indoor thermal spa, and I would have to say these were a bit more on the therapeutic side, than on the resort side... to say it another way, it felt more like you were in a hospital than a resort type spa. There were lots of older people using these facilities. The town of Lacco Ameno was perfect for relaxing strolls in the evening, with a good selection of restaurants and shops and places to get dessert, gelato, a drink... definitely more quaint and touristy than Ischia Porto, but this was what we were looking for, and definitely perfect for multiple nights of relaxing evenings. And Lacco Ameno is closer to the thermal spa resorts on the West side of the island that are fun to visit in the day and have better beaches. Don't make the mistake we did and be overly cynical of the good deals to be had here in the fall. It is truly a 5-star place.

Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
10 Thank RickStevesJunior

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Boca Raton Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2008

I just came back from 9 days stay in this hotel, overall I had great time.
The only bad thing I have to say, that this hotel needs more (!) renovation works : The pool in the garden was not possible to use, was all rusted and dirty :( , only sea water pool, by the sea side is good .
The Thermal pool and Spa - it looks like: old, run down hospital :(
Location great, views- amazing, staff / service great, room very clean ,food great.
My room - lovely and the views, to die for.
For sure some day I will come back there :)

• Liked — the location, my room, the views, the food,the service, the italian island
  • Disliked — the fisherman morning shouting, fisherman boat noise, poor condition of A/C n the room, run down SPA and garden pool
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled solo
5 Thank Pricesss
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2007

Having stayed at many luxury hotels before this one was a real find! The room we stayed in had fantastic views across the Bay of Naples and onto the Amalfi Coast, the staff were incredibly helpful, food yummy and the spa treatments we had (mud wraps) to die for. I felt my skin glowing all day. We also loved the little private sandy beach which is a real rarity in that region. Authentic Italy at its best!

• Liked — It felt authentic, like you imagine Italy to be
  • Disliked — ????
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with family
5 Thank LondonLuxurylover
Gloucestershire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2007

My husband and I stayed at this lovely hotel for a week in September. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We wish we had booked on a half-board basis, instead of the B & B rates, as we were more than happy to eat in the beautiful diningroom every evening. The food was delicious, with a menu which was changed daily. The service was excellent and attentive.

We had a lovely room overlooking the sea, and enjoyed watching the boats coming and going. The swimming pools were lovely. We also enjoyed the thermal pool in the Spa Building. We didn't try swimming in the lagoon, but that looked nice too.

There were always taxis in the street just outside the hotel.... We found this very useful for getting around the island. One taxi driver described our hotel as "the best hotel on the island" - and we wouldn't disagree with that sentiment.

We had a lovely holiday and would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2007
3 Thank Passerby-TA
London, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2007

My boyfriend surprised me with this little trip, and this place was a dream. We had a double room over in the Royal side of the hotel with the thermo tub on our balcony. Pure bliss. The room decor and standard of furniture was outstanding. I must say I wondered about some of the rooms that we did pass along the way though as it was definitely very noticeable that the Royal side had been recently renovated. The service was fantastic, with typical Italian flair. The restaurants are fantastic but not something to eat in everynight. The poolside service was very attentive. A real find and I would recommend to anyone.

• Liked — the thermo pool
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
7 Thank littledragongirl
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2006

We recently stayed at this fabulous hotel. I don't know why trip advisor have it as 3 star when it is a 5 star hotel by international standards (not Italian). The hotel is set in the most amazing place, tucked into the side of a hill at the end of the most quaint fishing village. We stayed in a rather large room at the end of the sports wing. In fact it was 2 rooms with bathroom and balcony that overlooked the village and across the bay to Procida. The view was really beautiful and the room/s were fabulous. There was the most beautiful lagoon to swim in and a great salt water swimming pool that is so deep you can't touch the bottom no matter how hard you try. The pool water is pumped in from the sea. We were travelling with our 13 y/o daughter who was made to feel very special. I also noticed young toddlers, babies and children who were also treated like gods. The staff were fantastic, they couldn't have tried harder to make our stay more enjoyable and memorable. We ate at the hotel in the various restaurants and they all had the most amazing food, truely delicious. I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough. It was in Conde Nast top ten of 'Where we want to go in 2006' and I can understand why.....absolutely brilliant!!!! I would go back in a flash. Put this hotel into your Italian Itinerary and give yourself at least 3 days to chill out at the hotel and to check out the fabulous island of Ischia. Chow!

• Liked — Everything, Bellisimo!
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Tips/Secrets — You must experience this place, magic.
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled with family
Terme Manzi Hotel & Spa
Terme Manzi Hotel & Spa
#6 of 41 in Casamicciola Terme
Garden & Villas Resort

Been to L'Albergo della Regina Isabella? Share your experiences!