“False Advertising”

Ranked #3 of 70 Hotels in Ischia
London, United Kingdom
“False Advertising”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

I booked this hotel thinking it would be 5 days of luxury in the middle of our trip to the Amalfi Coast. I couldn't have been more wrong.

I took a lot of time looking online at hotels for this stay and picked this one because I thought it looked the best. It said somewhere that it was part of the Leading Hotels of the World group and I know they are really good. It later transpired they are not part of that group at all, even though it's all over the stationery etc. in the room.

We arrived and the staff watched us struggle with our bags and didn't offer at any point to help us with them. When we got to the room I cried. I had paid extra for a sea view and our view was of a rusty roof and a speck of blue in the distance. The room had not been decorated since the 80s. The paint work was scuffed up, the lampshades by the bed were stained with big brown patches, the bathroom had mould and the panel you push to flush the toilet was so dirty I didn't want to touch it. It wasn't the modern room I had seen online and agreed to pay nearly £300 per night for. I would have been disappointed if I'd paid £70.

I went downstairs and complained and the manager laughed at me and said the hotel was full there was nothing he could do. I was upset, depressed and livid. I said it wasn't what I booked, it wasn't like the modern pictures on the website. The manager said because I had booked last minute we didn't get one of the newly modernised rooms. I said I booked in July for the end of September. Then he admitted they have only decorated 2 rooms.

Because it's a small Island and hotel rooms are booked up way in advance we had no choice but to stay there. It was at this point we realised they had taken the Leading Hotels tag off the website but it was on everything in the room.

My boyfriend went and complained again and we were told that we would be "upgraded" on our second night as a room would be free by then. Indeed we did move rooms for our second night but it wasn't really an upgrade. It was a bigger room but the paint was peeling and it was in much the same state as the first room. We did have a view of the sea but we also had the restaurant right below our window, so lots of noise at all hours of the day and night, including the piano man late into the night. It was like a weird take on a luxury hotel from 35 years ago. I couldn't have been more disappointed.

I was so angry I had to stay here anyway because everywhere else was full. The bit of our holiday that was supposed to be a total treat was the worst bit. Even the pool was peeling on the bottom.

The only good thing I have to say about it is that the breakfast was nice.

All I can say is: DO NOT BOOK THIS HOTEL IF YOU ARE EXPECTING 5 stars - it's not, it's not even 3.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Sophiemacmac

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Wirral, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013 via mobile

This is a fabulous spot, but if you have a seaview - beware. The 'pianoman' plays way too loud beyond midnight. I am a musician myself, the amp is far too high. Don't expect to sleep before 00.30. Manager didn't want to know when I asked to make it quieter. Spoilt the visit for me.
Selfish musician.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank pianoman2
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

What a great hotel!!! It's the perfect place for holidays. The beach and the sea are just perfect. The restaurant at the hotel is simply the best in Ischia. The staff is no nice like a big family. One of the best hotel I have even seen. I really recommend this wonderful five stars hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank alexarfi
Bucharest, Romania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

We couldn’t help wondering what makes a luxury hotel after our deceiving experience at the Grand Hotel Punta Molino Terme in Ischia, Italy.

We had booked a junior suite and a double room from July 26th to August 1st, 2013, based on the photos the hotel listed on booking.com, yet we used a travel agent. As we arrived late on Friday, July 26th, the so-called junior suite provided to us was no bigger than a double deluxe room in a normal 5-star hotel and a little bigger than the double room in their hotel (although it cost 200 euro more per night)! More than that, the junior suite was placed right on the restaurant terrace which proved noisy and full of aromatic odors. When we decided to leave the very evening we had arrived, they said we will not get any refund as the package was fully paid in advance! Nevertheless, they promised to change our junior suite with the best and largest junior suite which they called new style with no additional cost from Monday, July 29th which they did. Maybe our initial reservation had been given to someone else for the weekend right before we arrived, the hotel being fully booked over that weekend!

During our discussions the personnel proved unprofessional being sometimes rough and impolite. We asked for a taxi, they said 5 minutes’ wait and 15 minutes later when we asked again about our taxi they needed to call another which took 15 more minutes. We were under the impression that they had their “regular” taxi driver and that he needed more time. They front desk clerks only provide the information they want or they have an interest in: for example they only present the schedule of a part of the transfer boats to Naples of Capri.

Transfer from Naples Airport to the hotel was way below 5-star expectations, it took longer that the estimates they provided by them before booking. We gave up the return transfer!

Prior to our arrival we had booked Spa procedures each day starting from 27.07.2013 between 12,00 and 14,00 all 3 clients together till 01.08.2013, except on Sunday when the Spa was closed. When we got there, the Spa knew nothing about our appointments. We gave it up and fully enjoyed the Poseidon garden, spa and pools.

Inside the rooms towels are old and deteriorated. Hair blowers are out of date and really unusable (out of the 4 rooms we changed, 2 had this problem!).

The lounge chairs by the pool are insufficient for the hotel capacity and the towels they provide for pool and beach are ragged and discoloured. It is really difficult to find one of the 3 persons dealing with towels by the pool and beach: we had to address the Spa to phone for them after waiting for an hour!

Cuisine is fine although not diversified and nothing is offered!

There is no room service after mid-night. Once, we asked for 2 bottles of water and 3 glasses and the reception clerk himself came to the room holding in hand the bottles and 3 plastic glasses!

Although the hotel presentation on channel 15 and the promotional materials in the room state they are part of the Leading Hotels of the World, they admit to be out of the network for some time.

Room Tip: see it before deciding to stay
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Clara D
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2013

Myself and my family had a wonderful holiday at the Grand Hotel Punta Molino, in Italy. The hotel and rooms were of a high standard. The concierge and staff were most helpful at all times, the restaurant and food were delightful. I must add that the facilities for sunbathing were more than adequate providing clean towels each day for the sun beds and once again the staff in attendance were very helpful. There was a good variety of shops and restaurants within a 5 minute walk from the hotel. I would have no hesitation of returning for a second visit which is certainly going to be on our agenda.

I thank Just The Ticket for arranging a superb holiday who went to great lengths to make sure our requirements were catered for in every respect. I would most definitely recommend their services and advice, their contact details are as follows: Just The Ticket, Marylebone Street, London. Tel: 0207 291 8118

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013

Went to Ischia for the first time this year. Brilliant location and lovely stuff. However food wasn't upto 5 star standard, particularly dinner. Unfortunately our room neighbour was a smoker so teh whole room stink of cigaretes, otherwise will def recommend it to my friends and we are plannign to come back next year.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anna P
Bedford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013

Wonderful spot, with amazing views. Food has always been good, although this time, it was very evident that there was a new chef. Still good, but some aspects not as good.

All of the staff are excellent - restaurant staff, front of house, and housekeeping. Pool people are second to non.

Realise that the hotel will be a little quiet for some people, but it suits me!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple