“Da Maria Hotel”
Review of Da Maria

Da Maria
Ranked #3 of 33 Ischia B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Nice famiy-run hotel. All the staff were friendly. Nothing was too much trouble. Absolutely fabulous location. It felt far from the madding crowd even though Ischia Ponte was a few minutes away by boat. The bay is beautiful with a lovely view of the Castello Aragonese.

Lots of steps from the hotel to the restaurant and beach below so definitely not recommended for those with mobility issues. Would not recommend half board as the menu was very limited and monotonous. It is much better to have just breakfast so then you can choose from the a la carte menu for dinner and lunch. This menu had a much wider range of choices. Also, the restaurants in Ischia Ponte were just a few minutes boat ride away so you can easily try different places.

The hotel has an arrangement with the taxi boat service and the return journey to Ishia Ponte was 3 euros each and the taxi boat always waits to take you back to the hotel even if it is very late. You book the taxi boat via reception and settle up at the end of your stay.

Da Maria is situated on Cartaromana Beach. It has it own private area and also a small public section. This was great. Lots of italians visited the beach and added to the atmosphere. Also mainly Italians visited the bay with their yachts during the day and would visit Da Maria's restaurant. Dinner is served in the restaurant that overlooks the beach. Breakfast is served in the restaurant within the main building and had homemade cakes daily.

On the way back to Ischia Port to catch the hydrofoil to Naples, the taxiboat service charged us 20 euros, in total, from Da Maria. This was a bargain and a great way to end our holiday especially because a brand new speedboat picked us up and whisked us there in 10 minutes!

Just a few negatives about Da Maria. The restaurant could do with a revamp. The design does not make the most of the beautiful views. The plastic chairs are awful. Lastly, the beach toilet area and wash-hand basin should be kept cleaner. The soap dispenser was empty the whole time we were there.

The hotel has a pretty large terrace with lovely tables and chairs and magnificent views which is under utilised. The bar on this level was not open. Lots of people would have liked to sit on the terrace and had a drink rather than sit in the slightly dull main restaurant.

On the whole I liked this hotel and have recommended it to others, as it says on their website there are no frills but this is the type of hotel that we like. For once we really did feel that we stayed at the right place. The location is perfect.

Do try Ristorante I Pirati at the end of Cartaromana Beach too. You just walk to the end of the beach and follow the path cut into the rock. It is a pretty place, with great views and fantastic food and service. We ate there many times.

Room Tip: Sea view was nice. Watched many firework displays with the Castello Aragonese as a back drop.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Stylesista

Reviewed 28 July 2013

This family owned hotel bills its self as a three hotel. It is not.

In terms if food, hospitality, friendliness, cleanliness, cordiality, attentiveness to every guest and their needs, it is a 5-6 star hotel.

Beach is very clean, and there is a warm mineral pool, Roman style.

We will be back!

Dr. Joel Whitton and Liliana Tosic.
Toronto, Canada

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dr Joel W
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Would 100% recommend the Hotel da Maria, me and my girlfriend had a wonderful week here. It's simple but has everything you could want, and the view is stunning (unreal in fact). Rooms are simple but nice, staff are very friendly (but most speak only a little english), pool and beach are great (particularly being private compared to the scrums on the public beaches, as a guest you also get free sunbeds and use of the pedalo). Had been concerned about being stuck there captive with potentially expensive taxi boats and food, however the taxi boat (which is enchanting) is almost nothing at €3 pp return. Hotel was full when we visited, but still felt quiet. The restaurant is lovely, food is cheap and ranges from around €6-12 for a pasta dish, while wine can be had for about €4 for 50cl. If you're wanting to relax away from the world this place is for you, wish had stayed for two weeks! Only gripes would be that breakfast ends early (9.30) and the restaurant winds down at 9pm - however the taxi boat runs till 3am if you fancy being out later. Additionally, the walk from the beach/restaurant to the rooms will give you a workout - although were a few elderly couples there and they seemed to cope without any issue. If I ever return to Ischia, will stay here.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 19, which opens out onto the main patio. Instead of a balcony it has a little walled...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Qwerty888
Reviewed 25 June 2013

This charming little hotel is quite the find. As others have noted - NOT SUITABLE FOR PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES - quite a hike from the road down a narrow steep and rugged path. Other option is to take a taxi boat from the port directly to the hotel, but still lots of stairs to get up to the hotel from the beach. Everything from the staff friendliness, the cleanliness of the place, the quality of the food and the quite private beach was perfect. I will definitely be staying there again.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 19 - perfect for a couple - huge balcony, view of the sea. Friends stayed in room...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Sophie R
Reviewed 1 June 2013

Da Maria is like coming home to your big Italian family! Everyone is very friendly and very helpful. You really feel as if you will be missed when you leave.

The views over the bay of Naples and Castel Aragonese are amazing. The food at the restaurant was the best I've had on my 8 day trip to southern Italy.

If you are worried about the slightly remote location you shouldn't worry too much. The taxi boat used by the hotel is very efficient and not too expensive. (3 euros in total to go back and forth from the hotel to Ischia Ponte)

I would recommend this to my friends and family and everyone else really!

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank Soup84
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Couple of things to note before you book this wonderful hotel. The access from the road is very awkward. The taxi from the port to the hotel (cost €15) and a distance of 4km, drops you at the top of a path down to the hotel. This is the only access from the road. It is not easy to navigate, has many steps down, and is very dark in places at night. The alternative route is via taxiboat that can be pre arranged from Ponte Ischia (but you still need to get the number 7 bus from the port) and you still need to climb steps to the hotel from the beach where the taxiboat drops you off.

The receptionist is Enza, who is lovely from the outset. Welcoming and extremely helpful. Her English isn't spot on, but she is more than capable of deciphering what you say to her and is learning all the time. The room was very small but I don't tend to spend much time in my room when i'm away. The bed was made every morning for me, the bathroom was a bit small but I managed. It was all cleaned thoroughly by a lady with a permanent smile on her face, who always said good morning. There are only about 15 rooms, and there isn't a lift, but don't let that put you off. There are staff to help with luggage.

Breakfast was excellent, lots of bread/toast, yoghurts, cereals and cold meats and eggs. Plenty of tea and coffee, and 3 or 4 different fruit juices to re invigorate your tastebuds from drinking too much vino and Peroni ;-)

The restaurant (again run entirely by family) is excellent. Great food, reasonable prices, good wine, friendly service, and right on the beach next to the sea. I was made to feel welcome and the staff loved to chat and find out about me as a person.

There is a pool and the hotel has its own private little beach too. The view from my balcony was of the Castello Aragonese which is well worth a visit (cost €10) and takes about 2 to 3 hours to wander round, soak up 700 years of history and take in the breath taking views of Ischia port and Ischia Ponte from various vantage points in the castle.

Ischia is a smallish island, and extremely beautiful. Make the most of the buses that go round the island. The drivers aren't too helpful, and the buses do get rammed full, so be warned, you may have to stand all the way, and there is no "queue" you gotta make your presence felt by becoming Italian (barge and elbow others in the jaw!) but its all good fun, and part of being in Ischia.

I would highly recommend this value for money, friendly and ideally located hotel. Peaceful, with fantastic views its a bargain not to be passed over.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank WanderinWalter
Reviewed 21 August 2012

The location on it's own private beach is amazing. The views are spectacular. The restaurant absolutely delicious. Even though the location is a bit remote, they offer a convenient transfer by boat to Ischia Ponte pretty much any time you want... and other water taxis call there as well for further locations.
The rooms are immaculate, although the bathrooms are not great, there is no "real" shower, the shower head is right above the toilet, so everything gets wet when you shower.
There was only one really bad thing - the first 24 hrs of our 5 day stay was really tense because they tried to charge us double (980eu instead of 500eu) because we booked a double instead of a triple (an extra bed for our son.)
It was my mistake to assume we could fit in a double (which we have done with no problem in the past) but they said by law that we needed a triple --- that was all fine, and even before we left, I did some research and I knew that most hotels charge a supplement of about 25% for children. But they added a supplement of 100%!!! I didn't argue this at first because we were tired of traveling and just wanted to lie down and unpack and relax and we had already spent almost an hour arguing about how they could accommodate us.
The next day, when I had relaxed and rested, I informed the young lady that we had dealt with the day before that we did not agree with the charges and she became quite irate and irrational, saying things like if we don't like the price we should leave and she wanted immediate payment. I told her I would be happy to pay, but no more than 25% and that I would only pay when she provided me the hotel's price list, which by law needs to be displayed -- she refused stating that prices fluctuate and that was the new price (love or leave it!!) All the meanwhile she was holding our passports hostage until we paid ---> also illegal.
I kept calm and stuck to my guns (also conferred with some local experts on the legality of all this and spoke to a carabiniere, without pressing charges) and within a few hours the young lady calmed down and we came to a reasonable price. Her colleague was very apologetic and the rest of the stay was great and uneventful all the staff was polite and cordial. I did see this young lady get mad at other people (family members i presume, not guests -- she seems to have a short temper!!)

Room Tip: get a room with a view of the sea. some rooms face the cliff.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family